Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
ISIS questions
EDG
post Oct 20 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5483

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 500GB HDD and installing linux and ISIS on there again. However, I've got a few questions before I do, and hopefully this is the right place to ask them.

1) Does ISIS work with current versions of Linux? The versions that are explicitly supported (Suse 10.1 and Red Hat 5.4) are quite old, and I couldn't even find the installers for them on the OpenSUSE and Red Hat websites. Would it work with other distributions (e.g. Ubuntu?). ISTR having issues with getting the right libraries installed last time I tried using ISIS (which was 5 or 6 years ago). Does anyone here run ISIS on a modern version of Linux, and have you encountered any problems?

2) Is there a standalone Windows-based program that I can use to open cub files output by ISIS?

(I guess a third - rhetorical - question is "why is there not a Windows version of ISIS yet?" sad.gif )

Dealing with Linux is for me about as much fun as pulling my own teeth out, but the only reason I brave it is to use ISIS so I would like to know if I'm going to run into a lot of problems trying to get it to work. I'm fairly technically competent when it comes to windows (not so much with Linux), but I think should be able to figure out any basic Linux compatibility issues.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 20 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The best place for these questions would be https://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov/IsisSupport/

+Quote Post
EDG
post Oct 21 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5483

I've posted my questions there too, thanks. Though if anyone has any input here, please do post smile.gif.

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Oct 21 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5246

I thought about buying a used Mac just to play around with Isis. That way, I wouldn't have to deal with Linux.
I get the feeling that the program has a high learning curve, so unless I could justifiy actually needing it, I've hesitated. But I'd probably just buy a Mac. (Isis has a System X version for Mac).

Tom

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Oct 21 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1083

To answer #2...I've tried (and failed) to get cub files to open in Earth-based GIS systems like Erdas IMAGINE. To get them to at least partially open in those programs, I converted the cub files to TIFFs. Otherwise, if you just want to view the files and not really continue manipulating them, just export them as JPEGs (or whatever) once you open the cub files in Qview.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 22 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

When I must use ISIS, I use the Macs at work. It makes me feel dirty inside.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Oct 22 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4489

the rhel5.4 64 bit is the most stable
i am running that one on OpenSUSE 11.3 -64 bit and CentOS 5.5 -64 bit

and runs fine except tor the annoying 2 gig max file size for importing "raw" data
i need to start building the source .
isis3 ran fine in Arch 32 bit and fedora 11 32bit ( do not know about fedora 13 or 14 )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.