IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager scan platform wire harnesses, Got any good images?
jgoldader
post Nov 12 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3662

Hi again,

I'm trying to finish the RealSpace Models 1/24 Voyager model, and have run into a detail that appears in very few images. Though not represented on the Voyager mockups in the Air & Space Museum or Von Karman Auditorium, there are kapton-wrapped wire harnesses, two of them it seems, going down the boom from the bus to the scan platform and the mid-boom instruments.

What's got me stumped is how the wires in the bundle going to the scan platform ended up branching off into the individual instruments (SSI, UVS, IRIS). The only two images I've seen of the rear side of the scan platform were taken during testing, and it's not obvious which of the wires going to the various instruments belong in the wire harnesses.

Does anybody have a good picture showing the harnesses in flight position, with the wires going into the scan platform instruments? I've attached the two best images I've found showing the harnesses.

Thanks!
Jeff
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 16 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #2

Guests

Jeff, I have some vintage NASA-JPL Voyager photographs and will check these out for You.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 16 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #3

Guests

Voyager cameras:

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post Nov 17 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3662

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:33 PM) *
Voyager cameras:

Thanks very much! That's a nice shot. From comparing it with the other pictures I've been able to find, it looks as if the final set of thermal blankets haven't yet been applied; I've never seen another image of the scan platform at this stage. The outer set of blankets have silvery seams where the pieces meet, whereas there's orange kapton tape at the edges of the blankets in your picture. Happily, the shot gives me a good idea of the color for the inside of the IRIS "tube." I hadn't found a good photo from this angle before.

I'm still looking for a good shot of the back side of the scan platform. I've sent a note to the Voyager project, but I have no idea if they'll be able to help.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.