IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Blue Marble Earth Texture maps, Looking for Earth Texture Atmospheric Map in hi-res
FordPrefect
post Jul 17 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 738

Hey all,

I've recently stumbled across this very interesting sample of an Earth texture map, which shows the colour band shaded by atmospheric effects found on this private website:

http://oera.net/How2/TextureMaps.htm

The one I am highly interested in is the so called "Earth Texture Atmospherical" (top row, middle). For what I need it for, the map is fantastic.
I was searching desperately high and low on the net, Blue Marble websites and all, but couldn't find exactly this map in higher resolution than the 2500 x 1250 provided on that private website.

Does anyone know where I might get exactly this map in resolutions up to 32784 x 16392 pixels? Any help or suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 20 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #2

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

I don't know if that particular map is available in a bigger version but I don't think it would be too difficult to modify one of the big natural color maps to look like this one.

Speaking of Blue Marble, has anyone been able to download any of the the huge files at http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/..._monthlies.html via BitTorrent? I've been trying to download the January map but the download is so slow and 'discontinuous' that I doubt I will be finished downloading it until September or later sad.gif.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 20 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Have you tried Emailing them Bjorn...given that you produce 'good stuf' - I'm sure they'd be prepared to pop something onto an FTP for you.

Doug

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 20 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #4

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Things are going a bit better now, a whopping 2.3 MB downloaded over a period of 40 minutes with only 282 hours to go (and that's just for downloading the January file).

Despite this I'll email them now. Wonder how they'll react because I want *everything* on the Monthly Global Images page...

EDIT: By poking around a bit I found that these maps can also be downloaded from http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_set.php?categoryID=2355 (the "Details and More Imagery" pages). The download speed is decent (probably about 1000 times faster than via BitTorrent).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.