Reply to this topicStart new topic
SMART-1 impact, September 2006
Phil Stooke
post Mar 26 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #16

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

This map shows the target locations from the report just referred to. The original point may have been a statement of the nominal perilune rather than the actual impact point, misquoted in the press.

I'm just plotting coordinates on the old LAC chart. The points might be a bit off because of improved selenodetic control since the 60s.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 26 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 15

So, like, they're gonna crash it into, like, Lake Excellent, dude?

Excellent!!!! ((insert bad air guitar riff here))

-the Other S. Doug, Esq.

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 26 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #18

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I prefer a Mr Burns-style "Eeeeexcellent!"

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Mar 26 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 26 2006, 10:54 AM) *
This map shows the target locations from the report just referred to. The original point may have been a statement of the nominal perilune rather than the actual impact point, misquoted in the press.

I'm just plotting coordinates on the old LAC chart. The points might be a bit off because of improved selenodetic control since the 60s.

Phil

Attached Image

Shall anyone let us know the impact location in the Moon longitudinal and latitud's coordinates. I am not able to ubicate the Lacus Excelentia, forgive me, into an excellent lake!

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 26 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #20

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Mar 26 2006, 05:22 PM) *
Shall anyone let us know the impact location in the Moon longitudinal and latitud's coordinates. I am not able to ubicate the Lacus Excelentia, forgive me, into an excellent lake!

Can't give you lat\lon but this puts it in context, Clausius is on the upper left. Looking at the whole moon it is slightly above and to the left of Tycho (the bright crater with very prominent ejecta rays in the southern hemisphere).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 23 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #21

Administrator

Member No.: 454

ESA press release today:
SMART-1 manoeuvres prepare for mission end

Looks like they're getting ready for the ending. I was wondering if anybody who knows more about lunar geography than I do could take a look at the unfortunately rather low-quality illustration of the impact site in that story and tell me if it looks like the same location as the one posted here previously.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post Jun 23 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 495

Final operational report for the SMART-1 mission.

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=39395

+Quote Post
garybeau
post Jun 25 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 256

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 23 2006, 05:03 PM) *

That was an interesting article. The following paragraph got my attention.

The off-loading consists of braking a set of spinning wheels inside the spacecraft, which has the effect of transferring angular momentum from the wheels to the spacecraft and hence changing its velocity.

I thought all you could do with reaction wheels is change spin and orientation, I didn't realize you
could change velocity as well. Does that only work while in a gravity field or can that work in free space
also?

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jun 25 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (garybeau @ Jun 25 2006, 11:42 PM) *
I thought all you could do with reaction wheels is change spin and orientation, I didn't realize you
could change velocity as well. Does that only work while in a gravity field or can that work in free space
also?

Gary:

I read that, and pondered also. I think the key was in the concurrent mention of attitude-control jet firings - I have the impression that they were 'hanging' the vehicle on the reaction wheels and firing the jets to create a force applied in the appropriate direction (the RCS jets wouldn't be balanced through the vehicle CG the way that the ion drive would be). It's all down to vectors... ...and the article could have been clearer!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jun 29 2006, 02:29 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 174

It's "nice" but not always "necessary" to have balanced attitude control jets, with two jets on opposite sides of a spacecraft's center-of-gravity firing in perfect opposition to rotate the spacecraft without any change in velocity. For a spacecraft doing fine attitude and translational maneuvers in close proximity to another spacecraft, like an Apollo rendezvouis and docking, yes, it's necessary, but often, it's not.

That, of course, is what killed Mars Climate Orbiter. The spacecraft was assymetrical, with one solar panel, and offloaded solar light pressure which slowly spun up the momentum wheels with weekly attitude thruster firings. The firings also imparted a small velocity change on the spacecraft that needed to be included in trajectory calculations. It was.. in the wrong units (english vs metric) throwing off the trajectory models in a particularly insidious way.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 4 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #26

Guests

SMART-1 towards final impact
European Space Agency
4 August 2006

+Quote Post
rogelio
post Aug 4 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 619

“Any harm for the Moon?

Nearly 50 years ago, in 1959, the Russian Luna-2 spacecraft was the first man-made object to hit the Moon. Since then many others have done the same, without any noticeable harm, and SMART-1’s impact will be softer than that of any man-made impactor up till now.
... The crater made by SMART-1 will be 3 to 10 metres wide and perhaps a metre deep. The Moon already has 100 000 craters that are more than four kilometres wide, and every day several small meteoroids make craters as big as SMART-1’s.
Every chemical element present on SMART-1 and in its equipment exists naturally on the Moon. For instance aluminium and iron are very common. Hydrogen, carbon and nitrogen are much scarcer on the Moon, but they arrive naturally onto the surface from the solar wind and from the impacts of icy fragments of comets, which contain many elements. From this point of view, one can think of SMART-1 as an artificial comet. Furthermore, the little hydrazine left in the SMART-1 thrusters will burn immediately at impact. “

...Interesting (and a bit silly if not creepy) that ESA took pains to explain that Smart-1’s crash would have a minimal impact on the moon. I suppose they know their audience well and presume them to be extraordinarily green and caring about our fragile little satellite...

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Aug 4 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (rogelio @ Aug 4 2006, 06:59 PM) *
...Interesting (and a bit silly if not creepy) that ESA took pains to explain that Smart-1’s crash would have a minimal impact on the moon. I suppose they know their audience well and presume them to be extraordinarily green and caring about our fragile little satellite...

Certain Native American groups were upset to learn that Lunar Prospector contained
the ashes of Gene Shoemaker when it crashed on the Moon in 1998, as they consider
our nearest celestial neighbor to be sacred. Muslims also consider the Moon to be
important to their faith.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Aug 6 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #29

Guests

James Oberg had an article some time ago about radical-Islamic objection to space exploration. There is a strong embracing of the Apollo hoax theories too. I guess the greens also object to space exploration, but usually on the grounds of using petroleum in rockets. And of course, if there is even a small RTG in a space probe, some people go nuts.

But remember that Muslims have made important contributions to space. Farouk El-Bas, for example, is a highly honored scientist in the US program.

Radicalism isn't about Islam or Christianity or ecology. It is just ambitious people searching for political opportunities. If you are curious about some theory, read The True Believer by the philosopher, Eric Hoffer.

Oh, my personal favorite crank political protest -- some people objected to NASA's Deep Impact mission, claiming that if the orbit of the comet was perturbed, it might collide with the Earth someday. :-)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 7 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #30

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (DonPMitchell @ Aug 6 2006, 06:44 PM) *
James Oberg had an article some time ago about radical-Islamic objection to space exploration. There is a strong embracing of the Apollo hoax theories too. I guess the greens also object to space exploration, but usually on the grounds of using petroleum in rockets. And of course, if there is even a small RTG in a space probe, some people go nuts.

I am assuming you mean plutonium biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.