2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Just for fun - 30 minutes of probe data
NickF
post Nov 9 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4589

Suppose you could have 30 minutes worth of robotic probe data from any object in the Solar System (either in orbit around it or from the surface). The technology used should not be significantly advanced from that in use today (no tachyon scanners). What target would you choose, and why?

I think my choice would have to be a mini-submarine in the sunless seas on Europa equipped with a video camera (and a suitably strong source of light), a hydrophone and a mass spectrometer. Imagine hearing the creak of the ice, catching a glimpse of something unexpected on the camera and MS data of unusually complex organic molecules.

Well I can dream, right? wink.gif

--------------------
Protein structures and Mars fun - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick960/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 9 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

Europa would be my first choice, too. Getting anything below that ice would be one of the most difficult feats ever so those 30 mins would not go to waste biggrin.gif

My 2nd choice would be a probe on the shore of one of Titan's lakes. Probably would be the single most alien scene in the entire solar system.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Europa ocean as well for me smile.gif

Take the Beagle 2 mini mass-spec, and Pancam .

And floodlights.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 9 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

My vote would be for a surface image and chemical analysis of the Equatorial Bright terrain on Titan a la Phoenix on Mars.

Is it deposit covered, is it raw bedrock? Is there a surface coating? Is it uniform or are there runnels everywhere? Can a drill reveal fresher surface material?

Images of the terrain before and after drilling would be key. With only 30 minutes, you'd drill blind and image after, placing both samples into the respective ovens.

An initial GC run of methane added to both samples stuff would give the initial background.

A quick thaw in an oven to melt the ice and into the GCMS would narrow the guesses to the surface constituents*. (Or at least help constrain them).

*after the surface materials have been exposed to non-native aqueous conditions at elevated temperatures and then subjected to vaporization, ionization and further heating.

[This mission would be complementary to a Titan lake mission - here you'd get the background rock, and the insoluble surface coating. The lake lander will give information on the soluble chemical species.]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 9 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 542

For sheer spectacle I'd sit on well placed rim overlooking one of Io's volcanoes. For information I'd go to a Titan lake. I'll pass on the big dark underwater non-event.

+Quote Post
NickF
post Nov 9 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4589

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 9 2009, 10:41 PM) *
My 2nd choice would be a probe on the shore of one of Titan's lakes. Probably would be the single most alien scene in the entire solar system.

For pretty picture value alone I'd go for Charon hanging in the sky over the frozen wastes of a Plutonian landscape.

--------------------
Protein structures and Mars fun - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick960/

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Nov 9 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10

I would place a probe with a TV camera near a Martian polar 'geyser' and capture 30 FPS video when it is active.

+Quote Post
Geert
post Nov 10 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4185

The shore of one of the lakes on Titan, overlooking the beach and the lake, as has been mentioned already that must be something to behold!

Second choice would be somewhere within a safe distance of a volcano on Io.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 10 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #9

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I think a powerful multispectral imager from the surface of Nix while the other three bodies are all overhead.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 10 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #10

Guests

Would a lake front spot on Titan really look dramatically different to a scene from Earth?

I think I would go for a volcano on Io or maybe the view from the top or bottom of here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verona_Rupes

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 10 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4057

So much interesting objects in our Solar system! Lander on top of Tohil Mons and wonderfull look down to Radegast Patera.
Or lander near Triton geyser. Or something crazy, like rafting in Titan river. But in the end, Europa is the winner.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 10 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 682

Solar system you said. Is Earth eligible?
Europa also first for me IF we can get to the ocean first
A 30 minutes pose near a vent on a comet will be nice too.
Anyway any volcano on IO would give the best scenari

--------------------

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 10 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (NickF @ Nov 9 2009, 11:01 PM) *
...(either in orbit around it or from the surface).

Thirty minutes of data from a flagship mission on a close Europa flyby. In situ on Europa you'd run the risk of seeing either very cold featureless cloudy water, or an extreme close-up of one of many different types of icy terrain. I'd trade wider coverage for lower resolution.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 10 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (climber @ Nov 10 2009, 11:40 AM) *
...Europa also first for me IF we can get to the ocean first
A 30 minutes pose near a vent on a comet will be nice too....

How about thirty minutes near a vent in Europa's ocean? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Nov 10 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 544

In addition to all the other great places, especially Triton's polar geysers, I'd put a camera on Iapetus at one of the bright/dark boundaries at the warmest part of the day to see if the sublimation/darkening process is actually visible.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.