Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rover Gender Terminology, Contains discussion from Storm topic
hendric
post Aug 14 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

I think the girls will do fine after the dust storm stops. Those solar panels are probably smoother than any natural surface on Mars, and will probably stay pretty clean overall given some modest winds. Being so high off the ground is another advantage, since any dust grains too big to be physically lofted probably won't get a chance to saltate, or bounce, on top of the panels.

Once we're immobile, I think a great experiment would be to watch the solar panels with the MI and see exactly how the dust on the panels evolve over time. Maybe they start as really small grains, and as they start to stick together, they get blown around and eventually fall off?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David
post Aug 15 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (hendric @ Aug 14 2007, 05:55 PM) *
I think the girls will do fine after the dust storm stops.

They may be twins, but Spirit's a boy, Opportunity's a girl. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
um3k
post Aug 18 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (David @ Aug 14 2007, 10:02 PM) *
Spirit's a boy, Opportunity's a girl

That's funny, I always thought of it the other way around... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 18 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1638

I've always thought of both of them as girls, with Spirit as a gloomy goth girl, dresses in black and writes dark poetry, while OpportunityGrrl is way too cute and happy. That perception may have something to do with reading their early blogs:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/spiritrover
http://www.livejournal.com/users/opportunitygrrl

I need this dust storm to be so over. wacko.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
brellis
post Aug 19 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1700

This storm seems to be having some unanticipated effects on some of our forum members. Perhaps there's something in the martian air...

It's cabin fever. We need to get those girls moving!

(I think they're both girls, like Power Puff Girls, hehe)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 19 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #6

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (brellis @ Aug 19 2007, 06:57 AM) *
...like Power Puff Girls, hehe)

ohmy.gif tongue.gif

I've always thought of Spirit as Aeryn Sun off FARSCAPE - gutsy space marine type, what with all that charging up and down hills and diving around ledges, and Oppy as more like STARGATE's Sam Carter, brilliant scientist but with a giddy, geeky love of exploration... smile.gif

(Steve S, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease get the rovers moving again, we're starting to gnaw at the walls in here...!!!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mark Adler
post Aug 19 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1230

QUOTE (David @ Aug 14 2007, 07:02 PM) *
Spirit's a boy, Opportunity's a girl.

There was never a clear consensus on this among the team. However the JPL director (Charles Elachi) agrees with you. His rationale was that the French words for Spirit and Opportunity are masculine and feminine, respectively.

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Aug 19 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 217

Thank you Mark

Vive la difference! smile.gif

Roy

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Aug 20 2007, 03:59 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 18 2007, 11:33 PM) *
I've always thought of Spirit as Aeryn Sun off FARSCAPE - gutsy space marine type, what with all that charging up and down hills and diving around ledges, and Oppy as more like STARGATE's Sam Carter, brilliant scientist but with a giddy, geeky love of exploration... smile.gif

I believe Steve Squires quoted in the Roving Mars moving that Spirit was "The Problem Child", and Opportunity "Little Miss Perfect", I guess that kind of fits your descriptions...

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 20 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 116

I guess all this free time we find ourselves with is driving some of us balmy. I've always assumed that vessels of discovery were feminine. I thought that captains always referred to their ships as "she," regardless of the name. Has that changed?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Aug 20 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #11

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

If ever there was a convenient spot for me to drop out of Lurkspace and engage the much-admired UMSF MER crowd, this is it. The gender-specific pronoun question is both fascinating and hilarious...I've always considered spacecraft to be somewhat androgynous (excepting the unfortunate docking analogies alluded to by Arthur C. Clarke in "2010"). Strange how most of the program/vehicle nomenclature in NASA's pantheon have been masculine by the convention of naming missions after scientists, mythological figures, or "professions"; yet the machines themselves are anthropormorphized as female. As this is likely steering things further in the direction of being off-topic, I'll move to the subject at hand...

I've been following this storm with great worry and interest, and strongly empathize with the people who post here regularly. Whether boys or girls, I hope to see these astonishing rovers survive and continue their contributions to what may well be remembered as the Platinum Age of planetary exploration.

Thank you to everyone in these forums for your excellent images and personal observations. wheel.gif

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 20 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 321

[...]

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post Aug 20 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #13

Guests

First of all... disambiguate - it's my new favorite word!

smile.gif

Now, on the gender of language... It's one thing to have the masculine and the feminine in speach. I don't speak a language with a gender bias so I'll ask - does that actaully translate into thinking of the object as male or female? Seams a bit absurd. Are trees dudes to spanish speakers?

Anyway, I have never thought of the rovers as people or having gender. I try not to anthropomorphize them too much. It would make it harder for me to watch them struggle through this adventure. I perfer to think of the earthlings that are directing them. And, of course, they are male and female (mostly male for some reason).

This has been quite the glorious adventure. I'm hopeful that it isn't quite over, yet...

wheel.gif

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 20 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (JRehling @ Aug 20 2007, 09:54 AM) *
Language is often spoken against background noise, and languages are designed to have redundancy packed in to help disambiguate a message that had some pops and beeps blank out some of the signal.

A very interesting point, that I have not heard made anywhere else. Redundancy... I love it.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 20 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ Aug 20 2007, 12:53 PM) *
I don't speak a language with a gender bias so I'll ask - does that actaully translate into thinking of the object as male or female? Seams a bit absurd. Are trees dudes to spanish speakers?

I don't believe so... some discussion here. I do recall there being things that are jarringly wrongly gendered to our traditional stereotypes, but I can't think of any offhand.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.