The Grand Finale, Proximal orbits
Steve G
post Aug 15 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 624

QUOTE (wildespace @ Aug 8 2017, 02:41 AM) *
No new posts for two whole months? Where is everybody? :-o

Alas, the forum gurus are stranded on Mars!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Aug 22 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (wildespace @ Aug 8 2017, 05:41 AM) *
No new posts for two whole months? Where is everybody? :-o

Yes, lots going on. But here's something to think about - a long shot, but skilled video astronomers and/or spectroscopists might give it a go,
and the bigger aperture the better

https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.05036

The Cassini spacecraft will enter Saturn's atmosphere on 15th September 2017. This event may be visible from Earth
as a 'meteor' flash, and entry dynamics simulations and results from observation of
spacecraft entries at Earth are summarized to develop expectations for astronomical observability

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 23 2017, 05:08 AM
Post #48

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Interesting. I don't suppose there's a ghost of a chance of getting HST time for this? Wouldn't require a long observation period, but of course the instrument's time is booked years in advance.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 25 2017, 02:58 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 5221

EOM press event schedule https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/3104/nasa-...ion-activities/

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Aug 25 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 6842

A bit of surprise astrophotography from Cassini: http://saturnraw.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/i...1/N00287662.jpg

Attached Image

Any idea what this object is?

P.S. It turns out to be part of a lovely panorama of the sky:

Attached Image

Full-size: http://ibb.co/cYz7E5
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildespace/36792380385

Images have also been taken in IR, GR, and BL wavelengths, so I'll trust someone will create a nice, clean colour image. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 25 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 110

If that is the Large Magellanic Cloud in the second image, the first might be the cluster 30 Doradus at the center of the Tarantula Nebula.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Aug 25 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 6842

QUOTE (alan @ Aug 25 2017, 06:18 PM) *
If that is the Large Magellanic Cloud in the second image, the first might be the cluster 30 Doradus at the center of the Tarantula Nebula.

Yep, you're right, the panorama is that of the LMC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Aug 26 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 23 2017, 12:08 AM) *
Interesting. I don't suppose there's a ghost of a chance of getting HST time for this? Wouldn't require a long observation period, but of course the instrument's time is booked years in advance.

We were awarded HST time - it remains to be seen if the timing will work (HST has to be on the right side of the Earth during the entry, and ideally not in the South Atlantic Anomaly, etc.) and if the event is bright enough.

I was actually awarded HST time to observe the Huygens entry, but the STIS instrument failed between when I was awarded an orbit, and when the observation was to be implemented, so it didnt happen. There were a couple of groundbased efforts, but nothing was detected. Cassini is a rather more energetic entry, though

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 26 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #54

Merciless Robot

Outstanding! Good hunting. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Aug 30 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 1102

Information on the live Cassini Finale on NASA TV is now up.

Wednesday September 13, 1:00pm EDT, News Conference on Cassini's Final Mission Activities.

Friday September 15, 7:00-9:30am EDT, Cassini Grand Finale

Both with be available at https://www.nasa.gov/live

The web page with Cassini Grand Finale information is at this link

I assume most of us members of unmanned space flight will be watching.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Aug 30 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 110

Enhanced version of the cluster:

Attached Image

Image of Tarantula Nebula from http://eso.org/public/images/eso0005a/ rotated counterclockwise

Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 31 2017, 02:47 AM
Post #57

Merciless Robot

Sadly, I'll be working the job that pays my bills during EOM. But I think that it's not too early to express my profound admiration of and gratitude to each and every person who made this epic mission happen.

And I do mean 'epic' in the literal sense. Throughout recorded history there have been very few voyages of exploration that are even remotely comparable to that of Cassini-Huygens in terms of audacity, scope, and discovery. There's no need to recount the revelations here, not on this Forum, but suffice to say that we have all been privileged indeed to witness what Cassini has revealed.

It's been a humbling and joyous journey in every way. Deepest thanks to those who made it happen. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Sep 7 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 655

Enhanced version of the cluster

Cassini also imaged Neptune and Triton back in August:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 9 2017, 06:20 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 30 2017, 07:47 PM) *
And I do mean 'epic' in the literal sense. Throughout recorded history there have been very few voyages of exploration that are even remotely comparable to that of Cassini-Huygens in terms of audacity, scope, and discovery.

There's some part of my consciousness that can't help but compare Cassini to Galileo, which was itself wonderful but, unforgettably, handicapped. Cassini's operations and its machinery were as close to flawless as a mission of this duration could be. From its arrival at Saturn till now, I've always thought of it as "an ace" and that's nothing but the accomplishment of all those people scattered far and wide who helped plan, construct, and operate the finest spacecraft that the outer solar system's ever seen.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 9 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 682

I realize that the only piece oh human hardware left in the Saturnian system will be Huygens on Titan...

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.