64 Pages V  « < 61 62 63 64 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
hawsey
post May 31 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #931

Group: Members
Member No.: 6447

Hi , is there any way to use the old MMB by downloading the images myself and putting them on my hard drive .So what I mean is , is anyone still able to view all the old images on their PC still from when it was working ?
Anyone ? :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 31 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #932

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (hawsey @ May 31 2018, 08:37 PM) *
Hi , is there any way to use the old MMB by downloading the images myself and putting them on my hard drive .So what I mean is , is anyone still able to view all the old images on their PC still from when it was working ?
Anyone ? :-)

Did you you read this http://midnightmarsbrowser.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
hawsey
post May 31 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #933

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ May 31 2018, 02:51 PM) *

Hi PaulH51 thanks , yes I saw that . I guess what I really would like is all the images with metadata to up to the point where it broke so I can mess about with MMB on my PC again . Unless I can do it myself manually I think I need someone that still has all the images that would share , cheers .

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 31 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #934

Mike, who developed Midnight Browser and then Midnight Planets ocassionally pops in here, so he may see your post. Good luck... Paul

+Quote Post
hawsey
post Jul 11 2018, 10:17 PM
Post #935

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ May 31 2018, 11:32 PM) *
Mike, who developed Midnight Browser and then Midnight Planets ocassionally pops in here, so he may see your post. Good luck... Paul

Many thanks Paul :-) I live in hope someone still has the MMB functioning with the old images and I can at least work out how to get it up and running manually at some point .
Failing that I would like a place to download all of the images so far from the mission , I'm sure some fellow enthusiast will get me up and running at some point .

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jul 12 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #936

Member No.: 6780

Did you try the PDS Image Atlas (probably product type EDR, select all images in query, and Bulk File Download), and MERB Notebook, in order to close your data gaps?

+Quote Post
hawsey
post Jul 24 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #937

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 12 2018, 01:00 PM) *
Did you try the PDS Image Atlas (probably product type EDR, select all images in query, and Bulk File Download), and MERB Notebook, in order to close your data gaps?

Gerald , many thanks for that , I will try this tomorrow .

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 9 2019, 08:22 PM
Post #938

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Dear folks,

I can't find the Midnight Planets thread, so I'll post this message here. It's probably appropriate that I post this on the MMB thread anyway, since this is where it started.

Today I shut down metadata updates for Midnight Planets. The data source broke about a month ago (or something), and I don't have time to look into a fix. So I decided it's finally time to shut the project down and move on.

I have patched the metadata so that the Midnight Planets app should now work again for the earlier part of the MSL mission. And the Spirit and Opportunity data is still there. I'll leave the metadata and the website up; just no further updates.

My life has gone in a different direction from app development, and to be honest, although I miss Mars, I haven't even looked at the incoming data for a long time now. It's possible I may come back to Midnight Planets some day, perhaps to do something with the PDS data... but it's not looking likely. So, thank you for your support and interest over the years. Keep on rovin'!

- Mike

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 9 2019, 08:28 PM
Post #939

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Mike, I'm beyond grateful for the service you've provided to this community for so many years. Your work has been the portal through which so many of us walked on Mars with three rovers. May your new direction bring you happiness and fulfillment.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #940

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I will forever be grateful to you for making Midnight Planets ( and MMB before it ). They were, and remain, the best way of exploring Mars through the raw imagery. Thank you for helping us enjoy the journey.

It says a great deal about your ingenuity and talents that....more than a decade later...nobody has published a better means of riding along these adventures than this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxOrukhYBvw

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 11 2019, 05:46 AM
Post #941

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Enjoy your new horizons, Mike, and thank you always for the great gift you gave to us all. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 11 2019, 07:13 AM
Post #942

Member No.: 7837

Thanks for all your work on Midnight Planets, Mike. It was an invaluable tool for me and a great way to review & distill all the imagery returned by the rover missions.

All the best for whatever you get up to next!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 11 2019, 07:17 PM
Post #943

Member No.: 7273

Just want to add my thanks for Midnight Planets. Used it for several years, and it was easily the best way to browse new data being downlinked.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 11 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #944

I understand the frustration when the goal posts change mid mission. I also wanted to add my thanks for the App and the browser and especially for leaving the old data there, it's still the best browser out there, and streets ahead of the official one. Kindly keep us posted if you do ever get the inclination and time to create a PDS version.

+Quote Post
neo56
post Nov 14 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #945

Member No.: 79

Mike, I'd like to add my warm thanks to your awesome Midnight Planets. It was - and still will be - such a useful tool to quickly browse the new pics and possible panoramas to stitch together. Many thanks for keeping the old data on your browser!

All the best for your new projects!

--------------------

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 61 62 63 64 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.