Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spirit and Opportunity planetary imaging
elakdawalla
post Feb 10 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I've been talking with Mark Lemmon about rover imaging of planetary targets, and he shared with me a list of the observations made by Spirit and Opportunity over the years. Some of these may already have been posted on this forum, but not with image data from the PDS. Would anyone here be interested in digging into the archival data on the analyst's notebook and producing pretty versions of some of these observations? I can help with locating and downloading data if you need it. Here is the list:

Sol A/1998: Earth? & Deimos? Pancam with Navcam context that includes horizon. Seq ID is p2746

Sols A/1943-1949: Earth (marginal) and Venus, with horizon & Navcam. These include "pre-point" images (p2736) in addition to the observations (p2737). Data taken sol 1943, 1944, 1945. In next ones, observation seq id is p2739: sol 1946, 1947, 1948. Now it's seq id p2741: sol 1949.

Sol A/63: (already publicly released). Pancam p2733 & Navcam p1934

Sol B/718: Earth & Jupiter rise movie, also Venus in a single frame at the end, Navcam context. Yes, three planets in a single observation. I'm not sure which of the sequences on sol 718 this is.

Sol B/687: Earth, Jupiter, & clouds. Again, not sure of the sequence ID on sol 687.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 10 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Some of these may have been processed well and put up on the Pancam Page...

http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins...projects_2.html

http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins...projects_3.html

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 10 2014, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Re: the unknown sequences

Earth, Jupiter and Venus on MER-B Sol 718

(presumably) Earth and Jupiter on MER-B Sol 687

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 11 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #4

Administrator

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 10 2014, 03:45 PM) *
Some of these may have been processed well and put up on the Pancam Page...
http://pancam.astro.cornell.edu/pancam_ins...projects_3.html
Ah, indeed the Opportunity ones are, at that link (these are all "twilight" images). The Earth and Jupiter one is especially nice with the clouds being visible also. I think that people in this community could make something prettier of the data smile.gif

The later Spirit ones (sols 1943 and 1998) are not available at that site.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 11 2014, 12:31 AM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think Jim ran out of grad students smile.gif

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Feb 11 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 3988

I will do more of Emily's request later, but here is the Sol-718 Jupiter/Earth rise image with the movie sequence using PDS images.

Original Image:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...in/photostream/

EDIT: Starry Night View:

The Movie
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...in/photostream/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 11 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #7

Administrator

James, I was hoping you'd work on these. Really lovely work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 25 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #8

Here is the MER-A Sol-1946 Pancam sequence of Earth and Venus. I couldn't pull out Venus in the PDS images, and most likely wasn't detectable.

Flickr is undergoing yet another annoying layout change, here is the original resolution.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...5232646/sizes/l

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 25 2014, 11:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 152

Venus should be the bright, easily visible speck in those images. Earth is considerably fainter, to the right of Venus. I was able to pull Earth out of the 1946 (and several adjacent sols) pancams - check out this post, and read back for more about that very cool set of sequences.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 26 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Hmmm...You are right! Thanks you for pointing that out, rechecked starry night and you are correct. I'll get that fixed. Its interesting that I couldn't pull anything else out. I'll have to re-check that again to. smile.gif

EDIT I know what I did wrong in the ID, pointing was slightly off. That put Venus on the left. I Didn't check the distances and magnitudes. Venus was 1.06 AU from Mars, and Earth was 1.916 AU away.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 26 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 152

I think that stacking the frames for each sol was crucial in pulling out Earth from the noise. Let us know if you find magnitude estimates for the two planets - I'm curious how bright they'd look by eye.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 26 2014, 04:15 AM
Post #12

Starry Night shows an apparent magnitude of Earth -2.23 and Venus -3.83 at the time of that specific observation on Sol-1946, I have wondered before how accurately Starry Night is with that. Of coarse dust in the atmosphere and scattering would affect whats visible from the surface.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.