Reply to this topicStart new topic
Combing the archives for the best MER processing at UMSF
elakdawalla
post Jun 23 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The existence of this community was inspired, in large part, by the sharing of MER raw image data, and there have been tons of examples of gorgeous amateur image processing work posted here over the years. Unfortunately, not many of these have been added to the amateur image library I built at planetary.org to collect amateur work, because the library postdates much of the events of the MER missions. I'm wondering if I could interest a couple of you fans in combing through past MER threads to locate images that ought to be in a gallery that represents the kinds of amazing work that amateurs can do with raw (or PDS) image data. You wouldn't need to write captions or anything, just collect links to posts made during the last 13 years that contain images of particular beauty or significance, representing as wide an array of contributors as possible. Anybody want to volunteer to help?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 23 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Great idea, but the trouble is, lots of those old posts (the Spirit forum especially) link to pages that haven't existed in 10+ years. Web hosts have moved on, and the Wayback Machine isn't guaranteed to have captured them.
At least Doug's Bonneville and Columbia hills colour pans survived: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=116
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=334

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 23 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Administrator

All the more reason to capture what we can, while we can...

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Jun 23 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4350

Lots of pics in the Endeavour Drive thread around Sept 2008

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...5476&st=285

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 24 2016, 03:23 PM
Post #5

Administrator

I started going through the archives and found this gem from Doug... smile.gif http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=112583

--------------------

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Jun 24 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6784

Over time I have collected many MER images, some from UMSF, some from dedicated websites, flickr, or various enthusiast blogs. Unfortunately for those which do not have an author's credits stamped onto them I cannot say where they come from.

For convenience I place a small selection of them here in compressed form: LINK It may be possible to reverse-image-search any you find particularly interesting and that you suspect are from UMSF. I already see several names that I recognize as users here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 24 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Sittingduck, this is a spectacular collection, thank you. I'll put my intern to work tracking down the sources and adding them to the image library.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Jun 24 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6784

I have one more set to share: LINK with significantly larger images and anaglyphs. It is possible there is some very minor duplication.

I notice imgur does compress some images much heavier than others, rather arbitrarily, so if any of them stand out to you as being hopelessly damaged in the process I can upload individual images to lossless hosting websites.

Edit: Yes especially those images of ~>20,000px are simply ruined by imgur hosting and sharing them is not particularly easy. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 24 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Contact me at blog at planetary dot org! (This goes as well for anyone who wants to help out)

In general, we will look for the original places that images were posted (Flickr, etc) to try to get to the source.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Aug 22 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 678

You can always go to my archives from 2005 there :

http://www.db-prods.net/marsroversimages/opportunity.html

http://www.db-prods.net/marsroversimages/spirit.html

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.