HAMO, (aka High Altitude Mapping Orbit)
Paolo
post Sep 22 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (belleraphon1 @ Sep 21 2011, 08:53 PM) *
12 presentations!

abstract mostly do not reflect the results of the first weeks in orbit. but there are some exceptions.
I found this intriguing:

Curiously, first crater counts from lower resolution images of the south polar depression suggest surface model ages similar to ages for northern cratered regions, despite the highly deformed state of the south polar surface.

from http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2011AM/finalprog...ract_198143.htm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 22 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #47

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

And along a similar vein (!):

Color data suggests that the feature [the south polar basin] as a whole is more mafic than surrounding terrain.

Possible hypotheses for formation include impact and resulting faulting, fracturing and folding; endogenic activity such as upwelling or downwelling of a plume and subsequent structural disruption; or some combination of exogenic and endogenic processes. At the time of this abstract, the geologic map is consistent with any of these hypotheses.

Both quotes from: http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2011AM/finalprog...ract_196317.htm
Intriguing to think that it could be pure endogenic. (where could all that energy come from?)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 22 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 23

It makes some sense. The reason you think everything outside of Rheasilvia is older is because of the plethora of little impact craters that saturate much of the rest of Vesta (except around the snowmen) that you just don't see in it. The age estimate from lower res images like uses craters larger than these little guys and for those you could make the argument that there really aren't that many more outside the big crater than outside.

Perhaps the saturated crater population are secondaries from the big giant impact which basically reset the cratering age of Vesta. Only those secondaries that fell outside the crater which shall not be named survived. The larger craters, like the snowmen, formed after it.
Reason for edit: Because Phil Made Fun of Me

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 22 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #49

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

When you say Rheasilvia, do you mean Rheasilvia or just Rheasilvia?

Phil

(just kidding!)

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 22 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 23

Hey, I am just trying to get used to the name... laugh.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 22 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #51

Well, you're getting lots of experience!

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 23 2011, 07:24 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 530

I wouldn't mind if you called it Rheasliva.

It's got to be an impact crater, right? Not really? "Endogenic?" Would that be like the runaway radioactive-earth-birthing-the-moon hypothesis? Vesta just one day exploded like rotting fruit?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 23 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #53

A little thing I've been playing with... the recently released map extended only to about 40 degrees north. I took the northern hemisphere and converted it to a pole-centred view. Many of the image releases including today's extend coverage into the north polar region, which I call 'Philstookia'. Here's the map so far.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Sep 23 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 150

In the last 5 days, Dawn didn't use his engine and remained in a slightly eccentric orbit (665x700 km height):
Attached Image

According to last Mission Status, this provisional orbit will allow to set precise orbital parameters and make final orbit adjustment during next week.

UPDATE: According to Dr Marc Rayman private communication, they are now acquiring "Doppler and range data (both to improve the orbit knowledge and to refine the gravity field), and then design, build, and execute a trajectory correction maneuver on Monday night and Tuesday night of next week."

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Sep 23 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 23 2011, 06:45 PM) *
the north polar region, which I call 'Philstookia'.

Philstookia appears to be an immense "abyss". rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 24 2011, 03:38 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (dilo @ Sep 23 2011, 03:01 PM) *
In the last 5 days, Dawn didn't use his engine . . .

In English, a space probe (like Dawn) is always "she" never "he." So you should say "Dawn didn't use her engine."

Non povo explicare. :-) That's just how it is.

--Greg

+Quote Post
monty python
post Sep 24 2011, 07:14 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 692

Just looking at Phil's picture.

What if a rapidly spinning Vesta was hit by a huge body early in the asteroid belt formation?

Would you get spiral grooves and terrain jumbled at odd angles?

Brian

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Sep 24 2011, 07:59 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 628

Indeed, Vesta's midsection does look as if it has been worked on a lathe. But the rotational axis on an actual lathe is maintained by a mechanically rigid piece of machinery. For a pair of free-spinning celestial bodies, it is hard to see how they could maintain just the right distance for several revolutions so to gouge out the grooves without bouncing off, melting, breaking up, merging, etc. The sort of light, plowing, contact that monty is considering is a pretty unstable situation. That said, I don't have a better idea to explain how the grooves got there. I assume some common cause must operate on vesta, phobos, lutezia, maybe even iapetus, but most of the contending stories have holes in them. Let's keep working on it.

+Quote Post
bk_2
post Sep 29 2011, 01:53 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 5252

QUOTE (tanjent @ Sep 24 2011, 08:59 AM) *
I don't have a better idea to explain how the grooves got there. I assume some common cause must operate on vesta, phobos, lutezia, maybe even iapetus, but most of the contending stories have holes in them. Let's keep working on it.

If the grooves are not associated with the southern impact, though I find that hard to accept, and predate the modern surface, they must be very old, perhaps from it's formative period. The only mechanism I can propose for parallel grooves is the same one I raised in the case of Phobos viz, intersection with co-planar rings. If in it's formation, Vesta was in an elliptical orbit around a larger body with coplanar circular rings, it could have encountered planar rings edge-on at each periapsis. The global extent of these grooves would indicate that Vesta, unlike Phobos, was not tidally locked at the time.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 29 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 5221

Latest journal entry shows that Rheasilvia is indeed the official name of the south pole crater!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.