Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter Quarters, at Low Ridge Haven
Bob Shaw
post Jul 13 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #496

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

QUOTE (diane @ Jul 12 2006, 06:00 PM) *
That said, such designs typically show up in manufactured items, where economies of scale and planned obsolesence can make such short-sightedness pay off. I remember more than one experience of buying a new hard drive only to find that my PC's BIOS wouldn't address its whole capacity. It seems that the BIOS chip designers always incremented the sector address register size by two bits.

Diane:

I always liked the tale of the programmer who went for a £25K PA job, and beat his employers about the head until they paid him the extra £600 above and beyond the £25,000 they intended!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
diane
post Jul 13 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #497

Member No.: 780

QUOTE (ToSeek @ Jul 13 2006, 02:56 PM) *
I'm hoping by that time there will be repairmen on Mars. wink.gif

OK, suppose we could send AAA out with a tow truck and jumper cables. What would it take to restart a dead rover, beyond the obvious (new battery, thorough dusting)?

+Quote Post
bigdipper
post Jul 13 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #498

Member No.: 645

QUOTE (diane @ Jul 13 2006, 10:21 PM) *
OK, suppose we could send AAA out with a tow truck and jumper cables. What would it take to restart a dead rover, beyond the obvious (new battery, thorough dusting)?

Funding. smile.gif

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post Jul 15 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #499

Member No.: 358

Interesting..
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 15 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #500

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Why?

Doug

+Quote Post
general
post Jul 15 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #501

Member No.: 417

Another milestone: Sol 900 cool.gif smile.gif - 10 times longer than expected. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 15 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #502

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (hal_9000 @ Jul 15 2006, 01:22 AM) *
Interesting..

If you have a morbid imagination it looks like a vulture is watching Spirit. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
bigdipper
post Jul 15 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #503

Member No.: 645

Don't count Spirit out yet. The latest mission update talks about using the new software in Mid-August and _when_ power levels increase.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jul 15 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #504

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (diane @ Jul 13 2006, 06:21 PM) *

Wouldn't it be interesting if some future astronauts tried to restart the rovers.

Or maybe have to stop them to study them.

smile.gif

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jul 15 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #505

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (bigdipper @ Jul 15 2006, 09:34 AM) *
Don't count Spirit out yet. The latest mission update talks about using the new software in Mid-August and _when_ power levels increase.

The next big target for Spirit in my mind is not a place, but a season. If the rover makes it to dust devil season, with the new software update, I hope for plenty of great dust devil movies. The perspective will be different in the basin than from Husband Hill. Unfortunately, Spirit can't see as far. I wonder about the chances of dust devils starting in or entering the "Basin".

As far as physical destinations go, with the bad wheel, will Home Plate and near environs be the last hunting ground for Spirit? So long Badlands?

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 17 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #506

Member No.: 152

The chance of dust devils in the inner basin is definitely not zero - we witnessed one from Husband Hill on sol 592. Here is the navcam image. (You can see a bit of homeplate at the extreme right.) There may have been more images - this is all I can recall at the moment.

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 17 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #507

Member No.: 110

417 + 669 - 902 = 184 sols till dust devil season.

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Jul 20 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #508

Guests

Looking at the Pancam site you can follow the slow progress with the big McMurdo pan. Usually they take 4 pointings per column (4 x 13 pictures). Columns 21 and 23 each have only 2 pointings. And column 24 (the most recent) has 4 again. Has anyone an idea why? Has the area of 21 and 23 already been imaged (IDD work volume?)? It can't be a power/data issue because they are now at 24.

Analyst

+Quote Post
kungpostyle
post Jul 20 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #509

Member No.: 652

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jul 15 2006, 11:33 AM) *
As far as physical destinations go, with the bad wheel, will Home Plate and near environs be the last hunting ground for Spirit? So long Badlands?

I would like to see Spirit resume the journey to McCool hill after the energy situation improves. I think they will try a new route to the interesting feature that appears to flow down the hill ( only about 200 meters away if I recall). Then they will be on a sunny slope when the next winter approaches.

I think Spirit will end her days high on the flanks of McCool hill where she can remotely sense the views of the great plains of Gusev until she one day leaves us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Jul 20 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #510

Member No.: 678

Hello smile.gif

It was long but I've finally succeed to made this big panorama of McMurdo. Autostitch had taken more than an quarter of hour to compose the scene from individual color frames. This is a primary pano bacause the differents images who compose the scene are not uniformise to make a more soft picture wink.gif

Link to my website where there are differents size (the largest is about 15 Mo ohmy.gif for good computer tongue.gif ).

--------------------

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.