IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Unique volcano feature with caldera in Memnomia?, Is there an article on this ancient medium shield with caldera?
Antdoghalo
post Apr 24 2021, 02:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4972

About a week ago, I was looking at the Mangala Valles and following what appeared to be a smaller channel upstream when I noticed this oblong crater with radial features. At first I thought not much of it, but a look at the topography of the upper Mangala Valles showed this crater was located on a broad topographic rise. Looking at THEMIS imagery, I noticed this looked a lot like an old shield volcano at 27 South and 149 West, sporting a caldera 7 by 15 miles and about 140 miles in diameter. For Mars standards, it is one of a kind. There's the giant shields of Tharsis and Elysium, the small shields, the ancient broad edifices of Alba, Syrtis, and Hellas, as well as the ancient stratocones in the southern hemisphere. This has the broad slopes of Alba Mons, the size of Apollinaris, the age of Tyrrhena, and the caldera of Uranius Tholus. While it could just be a welt on the crust caused by magma or deformation, the radial lava flow-like structures suggest a volcanic origin.

Is there any articles on this medium-sized shield edifice? I searched and only found articles on the volcanic mounds to the south and the Daedalia lava plains to the east.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OWW
post May 7 2021, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 99

In this HiRISE image from late 2020 it's called 'Possible Volcanic Caldera in Terra Sirenum'.

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post May 11 2021, 02:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4972

QUOTE (OWW @ May 7 2021, 02:52 PM) *
In this HiRISE image from late 2020 it's called 'Possible Volcanic Caldera in Terra Sirenum'.

That was my HiWish target.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.