IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
lroc images of different points of the moon over time, Trying to find images from each orbit of the LRO of polar regions
Engineer817
post Dec 22 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6366

I've been trying to determine good potential landing zones on the lunar north pole but obviously I need more data then just level areas. My goal is to find how much light gets into different craters on the lunar north pole and what areas receive more then the usual 2 weeks of light. My plan of attack is to take 1 image each orbit from the lroc of the polar region and compile them into a video. Then averaging each pixel data value out to black or white and taking the final black area and overlaying it onto a topography map of that area, there by determining how much light is most likely to have entered that region and then eliminating the areas that are touched by light as sources of ice (obviously). A different approach for how much light an area receives another process however. The problem is not the programming, its the data to begin with. I don't know where to find the pictures I need. They must be in high resolution, and it would be best if they were from the same angle. Seeing as the LRO orbits right above the lunar poles, I don't think it would be too much of a problem. If any one could point me in the right direction I would be appreciative.
cool.gif

--------------------
What Will It Take?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 23 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Ultimately you can find the images - by the thousands - here:

http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/sea...tml#QuickSearch

This is NASA's Planetary Image Atlas. Choose LRO from the mission list, then search for images containing the north pole - you can enter latitude limits. But these are big images, you are looking at terabytes of data. The system is fairly easy to learn and I think there is online help.

The analysis you are interested in has been done already, and you might try searching for north polar illumination maps directly - the author of a paper or presentation might be willing to share pre-made maps which could save you a lot of time.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Mar 18 2014, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 745

Well this beautiful map of the north polar region just showed up on the NASA website:

NASA Releases First Interactive Mosaic of Lunar North Pole

"Creation of this giant mosaic took four years and a huge team effort across the LRO project," said Mark Robinson, principal investigator for the LROC at Arizona State University in Tempe. "We now have a nearly uniform map to unravel key science questions and find the best landing spots for future exploration."

Phil, were you involved in this "huge team effort"?

Ron

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 18 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, the team wasn't that huge.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.