Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
nprev
post Jul 25 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #571

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I think that the real danger here is the potential negative impact on public perception of Kepler & by extension extrasolar planet research as a whole. Interested amateurs like ourselves know the score, of course, but we've very much in the minority. The general public's been bombarded by SF visions for decades, and dashing incorrectly elevated hopes just doesn't ever end well.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Byran
post Jul 25 2010, 07:26 AM
Post #572

Group: Members
Member No.: 493

Isn't an earth-sized blink of a transiting planet much smaller than an eclipsing binary? If the dip in light is that small, are the other reasons for it?

White dwarfs is the size of the Earth.

QUOTE (brellis @ Jul 25 2010, 10:16 AM) *
Oh, "background eclipsing binaries"... how does that create a dip that resembles an earth-sized planet? Another mystery to plague my tiny, earth-sized, amateur brain! huh.gif

http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.5030
The difference can reach up to 10 magnitudes. Ie if a candidate in the Earth-like planet brightness of 12 magnitude, then the background eclipsing 22 magnitude. But in the near infrared band difference fortunately falls to 6 magnitudes.

So Spitzer Space Telescope will observe the transit in the near infrared.

http://nexsci.caltech.edu/workshop/2009/Fo...warmspitzer.pdf

Goal 2:
Transit photometry of candidate terrestrial planets to reject blends of eclipsing binaries.
– Confirm planetary nature of candidate by color‐invariance of transit depth.
Study 40 candidates at 4.5 μm (one 10 hour transit) for a total of 400 hours

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 25 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #573

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

I'm confused by that last slide+quote. An atmosphere will give you a transit depth that is dependent on colour. Why should the transit depth be colour-invariant??

edit- I guess the differences aren't as big as in the above example....

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 25 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #574

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (brellis @ Jul 24 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Oh, "background eclipsing binaries"... how does that create a dip that resembles an earth-sized planet? Another mystery to plague my tiny, earth-sized, amateur brain! huh.gif

Imagine a star with a background eclipsing binary. You can't resolve any components, but you have a light curve that is comprised of the total luminosity of the three stars. The eclipsing binary will make regular transit-like signals in your data. Alone these transits would be to deep to resemble a planet (unless it was a grazing transit), but with the third, unrelated foreground star, the transit signals get washed out. The result is that the transits have a depth that resembles a planet transit.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jul 25 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #575

Member No.: 4168

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 24 2010, 08:32 PM) *
Woof. They need to get rid of the term 'Earth-like' immediately & replace it with 'small & rocky', or at the very least 'Earth-sized'.

This could spin right into an unprecedented PR fiasco all too quickly.

Agreed. I will note that in the lectures I've attended, the team has been very careful to not use "Earth-like."

With much help from others on this forum, I wrote this post last year:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=149307

in hopes we could avoid the ambiguity.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 25 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #576

Member No.: 1700

Thanks, Byran and H4i.

Regarding an eclipsing white dwarf, it would have significantly more mass than a small rocky Earth-sized planet, so it would create a substantially greater wobble. The perturbations caused by background binaries seem more likely to be the culprits in a false-positive planet signature. It's gonna be fun finding out!

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 25 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #577

Indeed. And, for the case of an transiting white dwarf, the deep secondary tarnsit (where the white dwarf passes behind the star) should be a dead giveaway about a non-planetary nature.

Kepler examples include KOI-74 and KOI-81.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 25 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #578

Member No.: 1241

Spaceref has a good article on the Kepler data being over reported by news orgs....
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1415

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 26 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #579

Member No.: 590

With regard to the frequency of Earth-diameter objects vs. Neptune or Jupiter-diameter ones, I think we need to keep in mind that this mostly applies to inner orbits. I'm happy to learn (if I'm interpreting this correctly) that "hot Jupiters" are relatively rare. I'd like to believe that most solar systems are more or less like ours, with warm terrestial planets near the star and cold jovian planets further out.

Kepler won't see many of the planets further out. Its methodology is unavoidably doubly biased towards inner planets: from geometry, inner planets are more likely to have transiting orbits in the first place, and from time limits, inner planets are more likely to transit during the lifetime of the mission. (Although big planets only have to transit once, while smaller ones need to do it three times, the example of our own solar system suggests that this doesn't help a whole lot.) So the evidence doesn't really show that small rocky planets are more common than gas/ice giants. It only suggests that this is true in the regions close to stars.

Still, this is exciting new info. Not as exciting as what the Mail claims, but still pretty cool. It makes me think that, with luck, by the end of the summer, Kepler will announce the first "Hot Earths."

--Greg

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #580

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Oh please, PLEASE don't encourage them to use the term "Hot Earth"; such a planet would be nothing remotely like Earth in anything other than size. People reading or hearing the term "Hot Earth" will just think of a cuddly, Earth-sized jungle planet, or a rainforest planet inhabited by Ewoks. Seriously, I shudder at the very thought of that. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 26 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #581

Jupiter is the prototypical gas giant. A Jupiter-like planet is one where the majority of the mass is gaseous.
Neptune is the prototypical ice giant. A Neptune-like planet is one where the majority of mass is in ices.
Earth is the prototypical terrestrial planet. An Earth-like planet is one where the majority of mass is in solids.

There's a significant difference between habitable and Earth-like. Venus is an Earth-like planet, but it is not habitable. The atmosphere of a terrestrial planet comprises such a tiny, insignificant fraction of the planet that I don't think it reasonable to distinguish them based on it.

QUOTE ("Greg Hullender")
I'm happy to learn (if I'm interpreting this correctly) that "hot Jupiters" are relatively rare.

You're correct. And, this isn't a new development. Radial velocity surveys find that 0.8% of sun-like stars host hot Jupiters. Thus, the idea that hot Jupiters were rare pre-dates the Kepler mission.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #582

The Poet Dude

I too worry that the Kepler team's task of Outreaching and press-communicating the whole "Earth-like" tag is going to be walking across a minefield covered in eggshells. Most members here read "Earth-like" and think in terms of mass, orbit, etc. Your average person "out there" will reada press story announcing the discovery of an "Earth like" world and will think of a planet with crystal blue skies, roaring oceans and fluffy kittens stretching in their sleep in butterfly-filled meadows...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 26 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #583

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 26 2010, 11:29 AM) *
...and will think of a planet with crystal blue skies, roaring oceans and fluffy kittens stretching in their sleep in butterfly-filled meadows...

Haha that is true. Maybe some education should go along with the outreach.

"Kepler has found [x] Earth-like planets, that is, planets with radii similar to Earth, ..."

I'm sure when the average person thinks "Jupiter-like," they understand the planet doesn't necessarily have a GRS. Education + outreach could perhaps extend this understanding to Earth-like planets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #584

The Poet Dude

I'd drop "Earth-like" and go straight for the does-what-it-says-on-the-tin "Earth-sized". Saying anything is "like" something else instantly suggests to people the two are EXACTLY alike. I hope the Kepler team avoid using "Earth-like" full-stop. That term should be kept until we find a world that truly is "Earth-like", i.e. in terms of size, orbit, and habitability.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jul 26 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #585

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 26 2010, 11:01 AM) *
Oh please, PLEASE don't encourage them to use the term "Hot Earth"...

I hereby trademark "Lava Earth"! Any and all usage will cost $.01 payable to UMSF as a donation. smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.