IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Post Landing - Commissioning Period & Early Observations, Commissioning Activity Period 1B - Sols 9 through 16
djellison
post Aug 23 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #256

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

They're just wind baffles. The CHIMRA outlet doesn't dock to it in any way - just gets might close.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 23 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #257

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Finally found my red-blue glasses to check out some of the nice anaglyphs created by members here. Nice effects. Now I just wish there was a way to search for them by an "anaglyph" tag or some such. Or maybe a gallery page.

Here's a modest effort (just read a tutorial on how to do it in Photoshop) based on a MASTCAM 30/100 pair from sol 13.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...2000D1_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...2000D1_DXXX.jpg

Attached Image

Nice to see the basic effect in action--now to make it better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Antonb
post Aug 23 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 6469

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Aug 23 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Interesting. The lower layers are clearly horizontal, but the upper layers (at least those on the right side, and maybe the left) seem to be following the slope. Is this real, or an effect of erosion or perspective?

Tweaked to enhance tone contrast and vertically exaggerated, this view suggests a horizontally banded sequence overlaid by a folded or recumbent syncline.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
john_s
post Aug 23 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #259

Member No.: 117

Again, don't interpret the striations in the upper layer as necessarily original bedding- they are likely due to wind erosion. So I doubt we're seeing a syncline here, and certainly not a recumbent one (i.e., for non-geologists, a fold where one side is upside-down). If we are seeing original bedding, I'd interpret it as cross-bedding on massive scale.

John

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Aug 23 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #260

Member No.: 3995

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 23 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #261

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 23 2012, 07:32 PM) *
Here's a modest effort (just read a tutorial on how to do it in Photoshop) based on a MASTCAM 30/100 pair from sol 13.

Unfortunately the mound is much too far away to see any stereo with mastcam. With careful aligning you can see that the L and R frames are indistinguishable. Here's my version of that anaglyph:
Attached Image

We can definitely expect some long-baseline stereo of the mound - they mentioned that at a recent press conference. I can't wait to see those!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 23 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #262

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

An attempt at infrared false color of the recent Mastcam-100s of Goulburn Scour. There's no obvious indication of which images were taken through which filters, so I have no idea what wavelengths we're looking at here other than that they're infrared (which is why the images look grayscale: all three Bayer filters are mostly transparent to infrared wavelengths).

mcaplinger -- are the color Mastcams always shot in a particular order?

Larger here

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 23 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 23 2012, 09:29 PM) *
(which is why the images look grayscale: all three Bayer filters are mostly transparent to infrared wavelengths).

That and the fact the cameras only return the grayscale image for such observations, IIRC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 23 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 23 2012, 02:17 PM) *
Unfortunately the mound is much too far away to see any stereo with mastcam. With careful aligning you can see that the L and R frames are indistinguishable.

Interesting... I guess that's fake stereo in action. I tried it again with a pair closer up, also sol 13 (Goulburn):

Attached Image

And with levels adjusted:

Attached Image

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...3000D1_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...3000D1_DXXX.jpg

Yes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 23 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #265

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

We'll see some sights when Curiosity starts driving through this lot, won't we..? biggrin.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 23 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #266

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 23 2012, 12:29 PM) *
mcaplinger -- are the color Mastcams always shot in a particular order?

You might very well think they were shot in the same order as shown in http://www.redorbit.com/images/pic/63392/c...rovers-mastcam/ -- I couldn't possibly comment. smile.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 23 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #267

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 23 2012, 12:34 PM) *
That and the fact the cameras only return the grayscale image for such observations, IIRC.

Absolutely correct, even channels where the Bayer pattern isn't transparent, and which would otherwise be tinted (like the thumbnails) are sent in grayscale.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 23 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #268

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 23 2012, 12:29 PM) *
are the color Mastcams always shot in a particular order?

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2012/pdf/2541.pdf at least describes the order of filters L0-L7 and R0-R7.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jaro_in_Montreal
post Aug 24 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #269

Member No.: 6454

Would anyone here happen to know roughly how deep the 0.4-millimeter hole in a typical basalt rock might be after 30 ChemCam laser shots ?

How is that likely to change for clay or sulfate minerals ?

Is there any risk of blowback of material from the hole into the ChemCam telescope ? ....is there a minimum distance to target to be respected ?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Aug 24 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #270

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 23 2012, 01:40 PM) *
We'll see some sights when Curiosity starts driving through this lot, won't we..? biggrin.gif

Attached Image

indeed! for those who havent stumbled on this yet, its a load of fun to 'preview' what this might look like from Curiosity's POV using the 'free-range rover' (crank up the throttle at dashboard left)

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.