IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

67 Pages V  « < 65 66 67  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills, Site 45-50, Sol 923-1147, March 12-October 28, 2015
neo56
post Nov 1 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #991

Group: Members
Member No.: 79

Thanks Mike. I'll try to fill the gap with NavCam pictures. Andrew Bodrov already succeeded in using that technic.

I'll use NavCam pics taken on sol 1144 plus NavCam pics taken on sol 2, which cover completely the dock. Work in progress!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 1 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #992

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (neo56 @ Nov 1 2015, 09:49 AM) *

We've never been sure how that was made. It didn't appear until after the first MAHLI self-portrait, I don't think, so my presumption was that it used that for deck coverage. But I've never attempted that approach myself. I spent a fair amount of time with Hugin trying to make self-portrait mosaics with some of the gaps filled in with Mastcam images and ran out of patience with the tools. So it may be a matter of better tools and/or more patience smile.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
eliBonora
post Nov 1 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #993

Member No.: 7348

Some last mosaics

sol 1144

sol 1148 anagyph

sol 1144 sol 1148 horizon

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 1 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #994

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (neo56 @ Nov 1 2015, 02:39 AM) *
I'd like to fill the black gap in my last panorama where there are no photo of the rover. Does anyone know a recent sol when Curiosity has fully imaged its deck ?

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2015, 07:42 AM) *
This has never been done with Mastcam. sad.gif

I suppose in theory the gap could be filled with MAHLI self-portrait data, though that would be geometrically challenging.

What Dr. Caplinger is not saying is that the Mastcam PI has forbidden the team from 'wasting' any more Mastcam pixels on the rover deck. Everyone on the mission who I have talked to about this except for the Mastcam PI agrees that it would be nice to have a Mastcam deck pan but that other battles are more important (and more winnable) than this one.

Indeed, it was MAHLI self-portrait data that Andrew Bodrov used for his panorama.
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 1 2015, 07:42 AM) *
I have the impression that occasionally Navcam is used to image the whole deck, but I don't have any tools that can conveniently figure out when this was done. I know it happened shortly after landing (see http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/mult...a/pia16063.html ) We have occasionally tried to get a hybrid Mastcam/Navcam pan into the plan, but without science justification this is a tough sell.

I have a very partial list of Navcam deck pans (will eventually have a complete list for the sols covered by my book, in the book). They include sols 134, 168, and 375, but those were in earlier (less dusty) days. The sol 375 one is notable because it was on the same sol as a Mastcam 360. I know there has been one more recently, but haven't systematically worked through sols after 413.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 2 2015, 12:35 AM
Post #995

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 1 2015, 02:07 PM) *
Everyone on the mission who I have talked to about this except for the Mastcam PI agrees that it would be nice to have a Mastcam deck pan...

Maybe, but attempts to get simultaneous Navcam/Mastcam coverage for merging and colorization have not been successful because of lack of science justification, so far as I know due to objections from people other than the PI. We can agree it would be nice, but there are lots of times when nice isn't a good enough reason.

You can be sure that we'll continue to push for it. Another option is to shoot a MAHLI pan from a position somewhere over the rover deck, although this hasn't been looked at by the rover planners and there may be constraints I'm not aware of that preclude it.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 4 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #996

Administrator

Going through the rover images, I found a section of the rover was imaged by Mastcam (accidentally? on purpose?) on sol 25 as part of a 360 1-tier panorama. It's not the whole rover by any means, but it's a start, including the Chemcam cal target, RTG, LGA, and most of the HGA. You can find PDS versions of the images here or here (you want the DRCL full frame images, which have an E in the third-to-last character; to convert them with IMG2PNG you also need to download labels).
Reason for edit: Wrong camera instrument!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 4 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #997

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 4 2015, 01:09 PM) *

Accidentally. We can command in many reference frames, both rover-relative and surface-relative, and if the rover orientation post-drive is not what we expected during planning, these sorts of things can happen. (Note that these images are focused on the stuff behind the rover, not on the rover itself.) There are some cases where the arm was imaged because it was in an unexpected pose, too.

I've tried to imagine a way in which the entire rover could be imaged by "accident" but I haven't come up with a plausible story. Yet. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 4 2015, 11:36 PM
Post #998

Administrator

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 4 2015, 02:12 PM) *
I've tried to imagine a way in which the entire rover could be imaged by "accident" but I haven't come up with a plausible story. Yet. wink.gif

Haha, I hope such an accident befalls you someday!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Apr 7 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #999

Member No.: 7837

Here is a stitch from Sol 1087 MR...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 3 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #1000

Member No.: 7837

Sol 1100 ML

Extended sky + minor foreground patches

...to the right of the image we see the climb toward Naukluft Plateau.

--------------------

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 65 66 67
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.