6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno Extended Mission, Perijove 34-76
john_s
post Sep 8 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Digging up my copy of the Voyager 2 Jupiter encounter imaging report (Smith et al. 1979, Science ), I see that Voyager's best resolution on Europa (from Voyager 2) was 2 km/pixel. So Juno could easily do better.

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 8 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

The best resolution images of Europa by Voyager 2 were at around 1.33 km/pixel so the resolution quoted by Scott Bolton would be in that ballpark.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 8 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #18

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

As Mike says there are large gaps in high resolution coverage of Europa, so the close imaging may indeed improve mapping in some areas. For Io even fairly low resolution imaging (though I still mean an order of magnitude better that existing Juno images) would show surface changes, and we know they are frequent and substantial. Certainly good science to come from that. It doesn't look like there are useful opportunities for small satellite imaging.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 8 2020, 10:32 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 497

With regard to improving resolution, keep in mind that the satellite encounters can't be done for the convenience of imaging and the geometry is highly constrained by the spacecraft spin and spin attitude, so anything we get in that regard will be largely serendipitous.

And of course the extended mission is subject to approval and funding.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Fox
post Sep 29 2020, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 8735

Am I correct that Juno doesn't photograph Callisto? Is Callisto's orbit too far out of range?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 30 2020, 02:14 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (Fox @ Sep 29 2020, 02:25 PM) *
Am I correct that Juno doesn't photograph Callisto?

Occasionally Juno gets to within 650,000 km or so of Callisto so it would appear about 10 pixels across, but that's it. I'm not sure if the geometry works out such that Callisto appears in the Junocam FOV.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Oct 19 2020, 05:47 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 114

When will the extended mission be approved or not approved?

Knowing we have a chance to study Europa in the next three years has my nerves on overdrive.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Oct 19 2020, 12:21 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Oct 18 2020, 10:47 PM) *
When will the extended mission be approved or not approved?

The decision is expected in December. Perhaps more important than simple approved or not approved (it seems unlikely that NASA will shut the mission down on its first extended mission request), is the budget. A smaller budget than requested could mean less is done. NASA has a fixed pot of money to fund all of its extended planetary missions, and I'm sure that the managers for the other missions are also making compelling cases for their science.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jan 8 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 351

The results of the 2020 Senior Review and NASA's response have been posted

Response

Some highlights from NASA's response:

Juno Extended Mission
- Juno is approved for an extended mission from August 2021 until September 2025. NASA expects that the mission end-of-life will occur during this period.
- Juno will continue observations of the Jovian system as the spacecraft’s periapsis processes northward and to lower altitudes. Juno will utilize additional propulsive maneuvers to perform close flybys of Ganymede, Europa, and Io.
- Juno will continue to explore major scientific questions related to Jupiter’s interior, structure, and atmosphere, including the polar vortices, the magnetic ‘Great Blue Spot,’ water abundances, and the Jovian aurorae, focusing on observations enabled as the periapsis moves northward.
- The EM will add targeted observations of three of Jupiter’s large satellites. Imaging observations will search for changes since Voyager and Galileo, and observations with the spacecraft’s Microwave Radiometer will explore Europa’s ice shell. In situ measurements of Jupiter’s ring system will explore their structure and characterize their dust population.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 8 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #25

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Obviously I am VERY EXCITED to see this approved so we will get some Io flybys in 3 years! Buried in this SR report is a note that NASA is asking the Juno team to archive SRU data from the nominal mission. Happy to see this for some of the eclipse observations of Io from PJ16 and PJ25.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Jan 8 2021, 07:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4972

Yes!!! More eye candy!!! We return to the Galileans!!! (poor Callisto though)

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
Fox
post Jan 8 2021, 09:53 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 8735

This is great. Will Juno be in position to capture more polar views of the moons, like it did with Ganymede awhile back?

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Jan 9 2021, 12:14 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 4972

It did, but not the unmapped area.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jan 9 2021, 01:10 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 114

QUOTE (Fox @ Jan 8 2021, 03:53 PM) *
This is great. Will Juno be in position to capture more polar views of the moons, like it did with Ganymede awhile back?

I expect a much better resolution!

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 9 2021, 01:29 AM
Post #30

"Imaging observations will search for changes since Voyager and Galileo..."

If the regions that had no previous coverage were going to be imaged, I think it would have said something different. However, we won't really be sure until the new maneuver design is finalized what each encounter will look like, and there are many constraints on s/c attitude that also factor in.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.