3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev198: Saturn wide-angle mosaic
wildespace
post Oct 18 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6842

The mosaic is the Image of the Day at NASA: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/...rn20131017.html

You're a celebrity in space circles now laugh.gif

I like doing RGB stacks from Cassini, but I don't know how to calibrate colours (rather than adjust them arbitrarily until they resemble "true colour"), so my Titan appears white with vivid blue haze, and my Saturn is bluish-yellowish-grey. But Saturn's atmospheric features are more prominent.
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
remcook
post Oct 19 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #17

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Today in the paper. Not bad at all Gordan! smile.gif
(might need to mirror the image wink.gif )

MOD NOTE: Edited to remove political comment.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Oct 19 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 150

Congratulations, Gordan... breathtaking image!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 21 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #19

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

QUOTE (ugordan @ Oct 17 2013, 11:52 AM) *
Ian, I simply assumed the original data used 12bit encoding mode used so the JPEG DNs are basically linear (a reasonable, but not 100% accurate assumption when uncalibrated images are concerned) as it looked that way to me and the color profile I use in Photoshop (and the one I use for calibrated data that is linearized by default) automatically adjusts that to the sRGB 2.2 display gamma.

Gordan,

Many thanks for the explanation: the first thing I indeed noticed was the difference in gamma between your composite and my attempt at the clear-filtered mosaic. With regards to the JPEG DNs, how would you tackle a raw you suspect of being an LUT-converted 8-bit image? Trial and error? Or is there a way to approximately reverse the conversion?

Thanks again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 21 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 523

I haven't found a reliable way to handle the LUT-encoded stuff which makes up for the majority of Cassini imagery. It's mostly trial and error. I found it's more difficult to do mosaics as well. Theoretically, the LUT uses a square root encoding slope so if you wanted to "linearize" it, you might want to apply a 0.5 gamma (working in 16 bit depth at all times, of course), but I found that doesn't work out nice.

The good thing about the LUT encoding is you don't really have to linearize it, it's pretty close to an inverse of the default sRGB gamma so simply loading the raws into RGB channels in any vanilla photo editor and you're pretty much good to go (assuming the histogram stretch didn't massively clip dark and bright levels).

--------------------

+Quote Post
stephenv2
post Oct 21 2013, 09:03 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 1522

I have not done this yet but a curves preset could be build from a LUT if someone is up to the task: Photoshop curves to LUT It would be a reverse of this process.

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 21 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #22

It would be a simple enough task if it wasn't for the raw histogram stretch automatically applied on the ground. Once that's done, you have no idea what original level was mapped to Jpeg DN 255, likewise for DN 0. This is what, I think, makes matching brightnesses between separate frames and mosaic footprints in LUT mode difficult. Too many degrees of freedom involved. You have the one-size-fits-all Photoshop levels curve at your end, but the actual flight LUT curve was stretched an unknown amount by the ground histogram stretch. Convolve those two and you still end up with nonlinearities.

For 12 bit stuff, especially if it shows some black space so the stretch leaves it alone, you basically have just one thing to play with - brightness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stephenv2
post Oct 21 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #23

I was under the impression that the amount of stretch was in extra lbl calibration data - or am I confusing this with SDO? We've been working with so much data lately. Kevin McAbee, the other key volunteer on the film, has been working on Cassini to automate processing of the raw files. I can check with him too.

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 21 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #24

There is no camera metadata available for the Cassini raw images that I'm aware of. For PDS archived stuff this is not an issue, of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stephenv2
post Oct 21 2013, 09:32 PM
Post #25

I'm pretty sure you are right, I don't recall seeing it either, I think that is only SDO (which has it's own sets of problems and is actually much harder to deal with). I poked around in some of my data stores and don't see anything except from PDS.

--------------------
stephen van vuuren
filmmaker

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 21 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #26

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Wow... this is awesome, especially when keeping in mind that it's from JPG data and not PDS files.

+Quote Post
pat
post Oct 28 2013, 07:05 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 532

And the mosaic using the science quality images

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA17474

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 28 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #28

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Honestly - I prefer ugordan's smile.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 28 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #29

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Yeah, the official one is, err, really yellow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Oct 28 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 6783

Agreed, not as asthetically pleasing as Ugordans. The photojournal site linked to a couple of posts above does however say that the image 'is as human eyes would see it'. This sounds to my untrained ears like a fairly bold statement.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.