45 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spirit Route Map, Small and Large Scales
alan
post Dec 2 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Look at the way the ground is torn up on the right and all the short turns on the left. I bet Spirit got a rock stuck in front of one of its wheels and was pushing it along. The extra tracks on the left must be the first few attempts to manuever around it.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/re...00P1313R0M1.JPG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
azstrummer
post Dec 2 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #62

Rover Driver

Member No.: 71

Alan, per your twin pictures you posted today - You seem right on with the black and white shot but it's my opinion you're way off the mark with the positioning in the color shot. I'm absolutely certain that Spirit is not taking this long trek to the North as you propose but is in the hollow out of sight to the east of where you show the position on Sol 310. The progression you're showing is taking them completely away from Husband Hill, their stated target. Look back again at the overhead shots. There's this large open expanse between the knob they originally drove to the top of and Husband Hill to the east. Most here seem to believe that's direction they're heading, not off to North as you keep posting. That color shot was taken from a long ways off while Spirit was approaching from the west and the features you seem to be using to pinpoint locations by comparing them with small rocks and dips in recent photos wouldn't even have been visible then.

Then again I could be just as off in my assessment. I Welcome the brainstorming none the less.

+Quote Post
Pando
post Dec 3 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #63

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Update:

Spirit completed acquiring a large "Thanksgiving" Pancam panorama on Sol 324 and is continuing the travel towards Husband Hill.  Spirit has just about crossed the flat saddle area between Husband Hill and West Spur and will be blimbing steeper slopes soon.

Sol 325 - Spirit continued driving Eastward across the flat saddle area between the West Spur of the Columbia Hills to where the terrain slopes back upwards towards Husband Hill.  She successfully completed ~35 meters of 5-wheel driving bringing the total mission travel distance to 3.82 km

Future Plans
Next week Spirit will continue to drive further up the hills, and will be looking for outcrops along the way. Two possible routes are still being considered - a route that would head directly towards the top of husband hill, and a route that allows exploring of a steep walled canyon on the North side of Husband hill.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 3 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #64

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Great! This might be the "pan between the hills" I wanted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Dec 3 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #65

Azstrummer, where do you think that pass in the distance is? Do you think it is the spot on my color image where I have been locating Spirit? The pass in the distance certainly looks like the pass between Clark Hill and Husband Hill to me. Take a look at it in this color panorama
http://www.whatonmars.com/womiod/11-2004/wom_iod041129a_.jpg
and compare it to the one here
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...-A143R1_br2.jpg

+Quote Post
azstrummer
post Dec 3 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #66

Rover Driver

Alan, I understand there are major similarities but you have to remember, that second image you keep showing was taken from at least a half mile away and you're comparing features from a picture where you're right next to rocks and hollows. Also that second picture was taken almost due west of the West Spur which would mean that the hollow between the spur and Husband Hill that Spirit is currently in would not be able to be seen from that perspective. Go back and look at the shots from the orbiters. The hollow between the spur and Husband is clearly visible. There simply are no other reference pictures to this area from the ground prior to Spirit's recent travels.

That pass in the distance that you refer to in the recent shots is merely an opening between some sub-hills blocking the main ones. Remember that Spirit went down into a hollow and the foreground features would surely block out the ones in the rear. My guess is that this is all going to become apparent in the next few days as Spirit climbs over these small ridges and the mass of Husband Hill looms ahead.

You don't do much hiking I take it. lol

+Quote Post
alan
post Dec 3 2004, 03:47 AM
Post #67

No, boy scouts was a long time ago. We obviously have a different interpretation of what point on the overhead shots corrsponds to the end of the ridge Spirit was on and in what Spirit was direction was looking when it took the shot on 149. I got 110 degrees from the route map that was posted earlier. In the panorama from 313 I can see over the end of slope in that direction, so I'm assuming that its current position should be visible from there. It should become clear where Spirit is pretty soon. I expect it to turn to the right and head up the north edge of that ridge to the right of its current position. Of course that is pure speculton on my part.

+Quote Post
azstrummer
post Dec 3 2004, 04:57 AM
Post #68

Rover Driver

I've been doing a great deal of looking at the pictures in 3D - been building my own anaglyphs. It's truly amazing when you do that how a seemingly flat terrain becomes this series of very extreme up and down ridges that the rover is climbing over. Just a few weeks ago they went from a view of very rough terrain with Husband Hill looming huge in the background down into this valley between the spur and the base of the hill and suddenly you couldn't see that huge foreboding hill anymore in any of the pans. I think that's where we kinda lost all reference with the rover down low enough that even the small foothills in the foreground were blocking out the massive rises behind them. If my theory's right then the next day's climb should get them back the big picture again. Who knows though. I've been wrong many times in this mission trying to decipher the trickle of stuff coming from JPL at times.

+Quote Post
alan
post Dec 3 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #69

So much for my predicted right turn.

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Dec 7 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #70

Guests

Another drive for Spirit, now at site 98. Any idea - map - where we are? I'm lost between West Spur and Husband Hill biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 7 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #71

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'd say between the Sol 326 location - and the large rocks by the '3' of 326 on this
http://s02.imagehost.org/view.php?image=/0...rit_311-326.jpg

Doug

+Quote Post
alan
post Dec 8 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #72

Here is a better image of spirit's location, pancam instead of navcam.

Its not zig-zagging as much as it looks like in this image.

+Quote Post
alan
post Dec 8 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #73

New route map up on MER home page. It goes to sol 324, same place it was on 317.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...vDEM-A332R1.jpg

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 8 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #74

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The drive from site 98 to site 99 was not very far at all.

One rock I spotted in both end-of-drive L7.R1 mosaics came out of the parallax calulator like this..

Site 98
object distance: 15.2 m, one-pixel error: 0.108 m
object dimension: 43.0 cm

Site 99
object distance: 4.296 m, one-pixel error: 0.009 m
object dimension: 42.5 cm

I used the large rock in this view for

Site 99
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/pa...00P2439L7M1.JPG

Site 98
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/pa...00P2438L7M1.JPG (it's right of centre)

Thus - drive distance - to quite a high degree of accuracy - 11m smile.gif

Doug

and thi

+Quote Post
Pando
post Dec 10 2004, 01:49 AM
Post #75

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Spirit Update:

Spirit is currently in a challenging sandy terrain attempting to brush and RAT a rock named
Wishstone over the weekend. The slippage experienced during a Sol 332 drive was more than
90% (1 meter traveled vs. 9 meters sequenced).

The right front wheel is drawing normal current again--it is no longer experiencing larger than
normal current draw. The theory is that the rest period at West Spur allowed the lubrication
to redistribute. They probably pushed Spirit too hard earlier rolleyes.gif

After working with Wishstone, Spirit will then attempt to reach a ridge called Larry's Lookout
to look for interesting science targets.

Some interesting maps follow. This may be the most accurate map yet (the one posted at JPL site
had several inconsistencies). Also a view of looking back and a view of Wishstone. Sorry about the
width of the image, but I think it's worth panning left to right to see the full path... smile.gif

Link to Wishbone image

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:19 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.