Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018- 21 Dec 2022
atomoid
post Nov 8 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #781

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Nov 6 2019, 10:47 AM) *
Some years ago I wrote a historical survey of penetrator missions and proposals. I think they really only make sense at Mars, but even then, you need a programmatic commitment to launch 'many': as there is an irreduceable terrain risk, so a 'mission success = 8 out of 10 vehicles return data' paradigm needs to be adopted.
https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz/penetrators_asr.pdf

thanks for that, lots of good info in there! oddly all the images are partially obscured by a dark elliptical segment at upper left.
haven't made it through all of it yet but recollecting how sadly after two decades there still haven't been any follow-up efforts after DS2 failed to phone home, which combined with the whole MPL debacle seemed to push the whole faster/cheaper/riskier approach off the table, unfortunate since it seems such probes can be done cheaply enough even as low-key evolutionary engineering studies we could have had quite a scientific bonus in the fraction where they may have survived.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Nov 9 2019, 06:23 AM
Post #782

Member No.: 4338

Perhaps a mole-like device would work fine if the "hammer" and the "spike" were separated, at least until the "spike" part has been securely buried. After that, the "spike" could morph into a separate drill itself. (It has been speculated that the current problem is due to an infill of soil when the drill is raised in between strokes.)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 9 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #783

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The ICC takes images up to several times a day which can be searched for evidence of clouds and dust devils. This composite shows changes in the sky in recent sols, using images with similar lighting.

For each pair of sols I merged the later image with the negative of the earlier sol and greatly increased the contrast of the result. The surface looks really bad because the shadows are not exactly the same, so I replaced the surface with an unprocessed image. The sky sections show some markings through the noise, which I have blurred to show the markings better. I did it for two image pairs to make sure the changes were not the same each time, so, at least part of what we see should be real.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 10 2019, 06:33 AM
Post #784

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 10 2019, 02:51 AM) *
....composite shows changes in the sky in recent sols, using images with similar lighting.

Nice work Phil smile.gif

Meanwhile on sol 339, the scoop moves closer to the mole. Likely setting up for another pinning session.
GIF using 2 processed frames acquired shortly before local noon. GIF reduced to 800x800 to speed loading time.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 14 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #785

While we wait for action on the pin, here's a picture taken on sol 343 (yesterday as I write this). Note the disturbed surface indicated by arrows. It was made on sol 318 when a section of the tether was briefly in contact with the surface.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post Nov 17 2019, 05:32 PM
Post #786

Member No.: 6597

New images from Sol 346 just arrived. It seems the movement caused the mole to come out a bit more.

Attached File  1.mp4 ( 1.52MB ) Number of downloads: 1438

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 17 2019, 11:26 PM
Post #787

Member No.: 5221

I don't see it getting higher out of the ground; seems more like a sideways/translation movement, with a bit of twisting.

+Quote Post
ronatu
post Nov 18 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #788

Member No.: 235

Were seismogramms recorded during penetration attempts?

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 20 2019, 09:07 PM
Post #789

sol 349 : Another pinned hammer session. Looking good, mole heading into the regolith smile.gif
Processed GIF (800x800). More frames likely to be in the pipeline...
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Nov 22 2019, 04:01 AM
Post #790

Member No.: 251

This tweet seems to show quite a bit more progress. https://twitter.com/NASAInSight/status/1197594417667772416

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Nov 22 2019, 01:06 PM
Post #791

QUOTE (ronatu @ Nov 19 2019, 03:22 AM) *
Were seismogramms recorded during penetration attempts?

Yes (for some of the hammering sessions): Read the DLR Mole log book / blog on this link then search for 'SEIS' You will find the teams interpretation of the data from SEIS and how they used to understand what was happening under the ground. AFAIK this will have continued through all hammering sessions, but you'ed have to check the data. The early data from SEIS is already in the mission PDS, but looks like the data for the HP3 observations by SEIS will only be added at a later date, See the PDS mission link. This states the next PDS (release 3) is currently scheduled for January next year.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 13 2019, 05:43 AM
Post #792

Member No.: 152

The sol 370 night ICC views show some faint features, such as the SEIS shield and tether field joint:
Attached Image

The horizon may be faintly visible too. This frame was taken after 9pm local time, so it can't be residual sunlight. One guess is Phobos moonlight. I'm not sure if it was up at the time or if it's bright enough to create a visible glow to ICC...

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Dec 13 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #793

Member No.: 321

That's a nice catch. I applied some tricks to increase the signal to noise and came up with this. It is clear that the light is coming from a point source, so Phobos almost certainly is correct. There is a full Phobos at least once and often twice each night on Mars. Phobos must be overwhelmingly the brightest thing in the martian night sky, so if this turned out not to be Phobos lighting this image, then Phobos-light images would have to be much brighter still.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Pikaia
post Dec 13 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #794

Member No.: 8503

QUOTE (atomoid @ Dec 20 2018, 03:37 AM) *
Im assuming the Seis site may only release news in French, as the english version simply lacks a 'News' (Actualités) link.

Just for those interested, a SEIS News section has been added to the english version of the SEIS website. Better late than never I guess. For the moment eleven articles, selected amongst all the original content, have been translated in english. Should be better than Google translation, at least I hope. Please don't hesitate to tell me if you spot anything suspicious or incorrect.

The SEIS News section will work mainly as a partial archive, and will be not fully synchronized with the french section. It means that some french articles (old or new) will be not automatically translated and added to the english section.

However, the next thing to come will be a ~10 pages general article summarizing all the SEIS scientific results obtained so far. It will be normally published in January, with the official release of the first batch of "big" scientific papers. We will do our best to publish this article in english and french at the same time.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 13 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #795

My version of the night imaging. The three best images cleaned and merged.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 51 52 53 54 55 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.