Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Oct 5 2022, 07:20 PM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

That's a brilliant montage Daniele!, thanks for your time composing it

It's easy to forget that the reconnaissance of the asteroids in our solar system is fairly well-advanced these days. Psyche and Lucy will really add to our knowledge in the next decade.

I feel really lucky to be along for the ride in this era of discovery. On the year I was born (1967), we had some pretty decent images of the moon, and that was about it.

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 10 2022, 04:47 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 7860

Media briefing at 2 p.m. EDT, Tuesday, Oct. 11 - https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-...ry-defense-test

As Italian Space Agency (ASI) President Giorgio Saccoccia will be among the participants of the briefing, I really hope to see some new pictures from LICIACube (and other pictures) ...

And maybe some new results from telescopic observations (?)

EDIT:
Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 20:00 Italian time - https://www.asi.it/2022/10/alla-conferenza-...arlare-della-m/
The conference will be broadcast live on the ASI TV website at: https://www.asitv.it/media/live

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 11 2022, 08:02 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 117

I missed the briefing, but I see remarkable images like this one posted at https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-dart-imag...arget-asteroid:

Attached Image

Is the bright limb on Didymos due to dust kicked up from the impact of ejecta from Dimorphos? Was this addressed in the briefing?

John

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Oct 11 2022, 08:18 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 424

I'll let you know when I've watched the whole briefing; I only caught the last third or so, and it wasn't mentioned during that portion.

The briefing video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhzn0U2m5wQ&t=2352s

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 11 2022, 09:02 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (john_s @ Oct 11 2022, 12:02 PM) *
Is the bright limb on Didymos due to dust kicked up from the impact of ejecta from Dimorphos? Was this addressed in the briefing?

I didn't see the briefing, but this seems very unlikely. The exposure time of the images seems all over the place, I'm still not sure what the strategy being employed was.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Oct 11 2022, 09:12 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (john_s @ Oct 11 2022, 03:02 PM) *

My interpretation of that image is that we're seeing their night hemispheres, and that the bright part of Didymos' limb is the very tiny "crescent" of the asteroid that's in direct sunlight. The illumination of half of Didymos is coming from light reflecting off Dimorphos and scattering off the impact plume. The most convincing bit of evidence for this is the apparent shadowing of the impact plume by Dimorphos apparently centered around Dimorphos rather than angled off to the side.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 11 2022, 09:47 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 5221

Great new images; we can see a bit of the other side of Didymos too! Some enormous boulders on that side too (unless it's the same ones from a different angle)

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 11 2022, 10:16 PM
Post #114

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Oct 11 2022, 02:12 PM) *
My interpretation of that image is that we're seeing their night hemispheres, and that the bright part of Didymos' limb is the very tiny "crescent" of the asteroid that's in direct sunlight. The illumination of half of Didymos is coming from light reflecting off Dimorphos and scattering off the impact plume. The most convincing bit of evidence for this is the apparent shadowing of the impact plume by Dimorphos apparently centered around Dimorphos rather than angled off to the side.

Hmmm.. not sure I buy that explanation. Dimorphos is displaced a long way "below" the line perpendicular to the apparent terminator on Didymos- if it was the source of the illumination, the terminator ought to be roughly perpendicular to the direction to Dimorphos. The bright "crescent" also looks rather too diffuse to be be sunlit portion, which should be vastly brighter than the Didymos+plume lit part. I agree the "hole" in the ejecta is peculiar, but it's not clear that it's easily explained as Dimorphos' shadow on the ejecta either, as the shadow should be the same size as Dimorphos.

I don't think dust kicked up on Didymos is an unlikely possibility- some of the ejecta is certainly going to hit Didymos at fairly high speed, and in zero g it could plausibly generate a lot of secondary dust.

We'll know more soon...

John

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 11 2022, 10:56 PM
Post #115

So:

1. DART slowed down Dimorphos by over half an hour - 32 minutes (although it was assumed that 10 minutes would be a success) and the tiny moon now orbits several dozen meters closer to Didymos

2. Dimorphos survived - it is still in one piece (against some fears) and ready for HERA's arrival smile.gif :
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 11 2022, 11:08 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (john_s @ Oct 11 2022, 02:16 PM) *
I don't think dust kicked up on Didymos is an unlikely possibility- some of the ejecta is certainly going to hit Didymos at fairly high speed, and in zero g it could plausibly generate a lot of secondary dust.

We'll know more soon...

I don't think some dust being kicked up is unlikely, I guess, what I find less likely is that the bright areas are anything more than the bright low-phase edge of Didymos. At least based on the movie at the top of https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-dart-imag...target-asteroid

But I agree the outbound images look stranger than the inbound, so maybe you're right.

Not sure when we can expect to see the full LICIACube dataset.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 11 2022, 11:18 PM
Post #117

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Oct 12 2022, 01:08 AM) *
Not sure when we can expect to see the full LICIACube dataset.

"...LICIACube took a total of 627 images, 326 of which reached Earth. Once all the pictures have been received, they will become the subject of scientific research that will provide us with more information about the cloud resulting from the impact, and in particular characterize its structure and evolution..." - https://www.asi.it/2022/10/nasa-presenta-gl...-missione-dart/

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Oct 12 2022, 12:10 AM
Post #118

Member No.: 4270

The twitter user landru79 created a couple of animations from the available imagery here and here which show in splendid detail the 3D geometry of the system just after the time of impact. Truly glorious work, and enough to show that my interpretation of the images was quite wrong.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 12 2022, 12:39 AM
Post #119

Those animations are very instructive- thanks for the link! It really looks like the "anomalous" brightness of the Dimorphos-facing side of Didymos extends above the surface, consistent with it being due to kicked-up dust. Fascinating...

John

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Oct 12 2022, 01:15 AM
Post #120

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (john_s @ Oct 11 2022, 03:02 PM) *
John

Not addressed in the briefing. The LICIACube images were acknowledged and admired, but not analyzed.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.