IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sagan Medal for Steve Squyres, Congratulations Steve!
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Let me be the first on UMSF to congratulate Steve Squyres for receiving this year's Sagan Medal!

SQUYRES WINS CARL SAGAN MEDAL FOR PUBLIC OUTREACH

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Oct09/SquyresSagan.html

For his work making the Mars Exploration Rover mission a compelling saga for millions of people, Steven W. Squyres, the Goldwin Smith Professor of Astronomy and principal scientific investigator for the mission, has received the 2009 Carl Sagan Medal from the American Astronomical Society.

The Sagan medal recognizes a planetary scientist for excellence in public communication. Squyres will receive the medal during the AAS’s Division for Planetary Sciences annual meeting, Oct. 4-9, in Puerto Rico (http://dps.aas.org/press/).

Quick to share credit with the entire Mars rover mission team at Cornell and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Squyres said he has always taken seriously the responsibility of giving people -- the taxpayers who have bankrolled the mission -- a clear window into what they are doing on Mars.

“We feel very strongly that the people who pay have a real right to find out in very clear, simple terms what they’re getting for their $900 million,” Squyres said.

Since January 2004, when the first rover, named Spirit, bounced down on the red planet, the Rover team has maintained a publicly accessible database of images taken by the rovers. Atypical of most NASA missions, the rover mission has allowed people to access data almost immediately. It was a conscious decision by the rover team, Squyres said, to pipeline the data straight to the Web.

“If I’m asleep and you’re awake, you can see the pictures from the rover before I do,” he said. “And what that has done is it’s really enabled people to share in this voyage of exploration.”

Squyres hopes these efforts, including a Web site that provides updates of rover activities, has inspired young people to pursue careers in science and engineering.

“NASA does all kinds of wonderful things in space, from cosmology to gamma ray spectroscopy,” Squyres said. “But try explaining gamma ray spectroscopy to a third-grader. It’s hard. But you know, these are robots looking at rocks. It’s not that complicated. What that means is this mission is almost uniquely accessible to people.”

As a Cornell graduate student Squyres ’78, Ph.D. ’81, worked closely with Sagan. “Carl really pioneered, in a very important way, the way in which scientists interact with the media and the public,” Squyres said. “To receive an award that’s named after him for trying to do the same sort of thing that he did so brilliantly is a real honor.”

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 6 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Outstanding, and BEYOND well deserved!!! Congratulations, Dr. Squyres!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 6 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 197

Billions and billions of congratulations to Steve.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Oct 6 2009, 03:42 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 429

Well deserved. Because there is no Nobel prize for astronomers.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 6 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 116

Congratulations to Dr. Squyres.

This is perhaps the best news of the entire year for UMSF members. I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

The following description of the award comes from the AAS website:

The Carl Sagan Medal (hereafter referred to as the Sagan Medal) was established by the DPS to recognize and honor outstanding communication by an active planetary scientist to the general public. It is to be awarded to scientists whose efforts have significantly contributed to a public understanding of, and enthusiasm for, planetary science.

See the Sagan Medal, read about the award, and learn who won it in previous years on this page at the American Astronomical Society web site. (I had to dig around for this page. Apparently some of the AAS links are broken.)

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Oct 6 2009, 04:24 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 615

More than 20 years ago, Dr Sagan opened my eyes to Science - the beauty, wonder and meaning of it all.
Today, you, Dr Squyres have taken my open eyes and shown me a whole new world of beauty, wonders and meaning.

I take much of the inspiration for my role in Education & Outreach from your exuberance and passion for Mars and exploration.
You also introduced me many years ago to UMSF...so I thank you twice smile.gif

Congratulations on this well deserved award.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Oct 6 2009, 06:25 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 618

After 5 years, it's a 'no-brainer', but satisfying just the same. biggrin.gif
Let's hope future PI's all become Squyres wannabes.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 6 2009, 06:29 AM
Post #8

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Fantastic honour for a fantastic Outreacher. I remember having my eyes opened to the wonder and beauty of the universe as a kid by watching COSMOS, and I'm sure that around the world there are millions of kids being inspired in the same way by the images coming back from Spirit and Opportunity. That we can all see these images almost as soon as they come back continues to thrill, amaze and delight me, and everyone else here, I'm sure. This week I'm giving 3 different Outreach talks, and every one of them will feature MER images - and that is only possible because Steve Squyres made it possible.

Many congratulations Steve, well deserved! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tman
post Oct 6 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 186

That is great news! Congratulations to Dr. Squyres and many thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 6 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #10

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Steve Squyres is one of those human beings that has REALLY made a difference in our lives in a fantastic way, making us richer in knowledge and sharing his vision and passion with those who are willing to learn and to embark in this incredible adventure of knowing Mars day by day.
I am sure he has our personal medals everysol since the first one, but a Sagan Medal is more catchy... smile.gif
Here are my congratulations for such a special recognition but the word in my head is another one: Thank You for everything SS!
And this is not over yet, we keep on roving! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Oct 6 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4334

Awesome. Congratulations!

Glad the MER outreach effort is being recognized by the AAS.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 6 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 678

Congratulations Steve Squyres, this is a great medal smile.gif.

I think you changed our life definitly!

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 6 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The most appropriate possible award to a guy 33% responsible for UMSF smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 6 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #14

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Really, REALLY well deserved!
We've always said that this mission is a milestone in the way to, in how to communicate space exploration to the public. I'm pleased to see it being recognised with this award.

Congratulations Steve Squyres!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 6 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #15

Guests

Indeed, congratulations Dr Steve Squyres...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.