Closed TopicStart new topic
Sol 3 and onwards - imaging
Josh Cryer
post May 29 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 4149

QUOTE (Zeehond @ May 28 2008, 09:44 PM) *
Any idea where I can find 3D glasses with the correct colours? I have red and blue glasses and blue and yellow/brown, but not red and green.

Hey Zeehond, I could have made it wrong, but they had stereo images plus a green filter too, so I added it. Quasi-color stereo image, like in those old Viking books I used to read when I was a kid. I was the only kid in our small town library to ever check them out. Maybe I'm just able to see into these sorts of images but it works just fine with me with blue/red lenses.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 29 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #47

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Coordinated view of my pseudocolor HiRISE image and the most recent Phoenix lander surface panorama (lg_804.jpg):

Attached Image

Bluer in the false color image is darker colored in the original image (polygon bordersr and exposed rocks).

-Mike

[EDIT: "Sleepy Hollow" is the darker blue zone very close to the lander at 1 o'clock in the pseudocolorized image.]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
hal_9000
post May 29 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 358

Moving...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post May 29 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (stevelu @ May 29 2008, 12:54 AM) *
Are they going to vaporize all the H2O they collect to analyze it for organic compounds?
If I ran the zoo, I would definitely take a bit of ice, at least once, gently warm it to 5 degrees C or so, and turn the microscope loose on the liquid results. Long shot? Sure, but worth trying. Does anyone know these sorts of details about the science plan? and about what exactly the microsope is intended to examine? Mineral/crystal/etc. structures and (conceivably) oven-safe fossils only?? sad.gif

Good thing you dont run the zoo.

If you warmed the ice to 5 deg C it would boil away quickly. Even exposed ice may sublime away in minutes-hours.

The ovens in TEGA are about 3mm in dia (see http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz/TEGA.pdf )
so you can't get a microscope (which is an entirely different instrument elsewhere on the lander) into them
(the point is after all to seal the oven (and once you seal each one, you cant unseal it)
so you can look for water vapor, organics etc that are evolved. NB
big difference between TEGA on MPL and TEGA-II on PHX is that while the TA ovens are the same, the EGA
is very different - an absorption spectrometer for CO2 and H2O on TEGA-1, but a mass spec for TEGA-II that
might also detect organics.

But I dont think soil sampling is planned for a few sols yet.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post May 29 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #50

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Still another day of arm unstow yet.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 29 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 181

Even more questions for Emily (or anyone who can answer them here).

Is there a systematic observation plan for atmospheric halos scheduled as part of normal surface operations?

Will other mission raw data (MET, TEGA, TECP, etc) be available in rapid manner as the SSI data is?

(A statement rather than a question) Thank you for your dedication and willingness to open the further exploration of Mars to all who are interested! smile.gif

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post May 29 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #52

Guests

QUOTE (Pertinax @ May 29 2008, 02:36 PM) *
Is there a systematic observation plan for atmospheric halos scheduled as part of normal surface operations?

-- Pertinax

I think they had this planned for MPL? I remember a article in Sky & Telescope magazine, i'll see if I can find it.

I've found the magazine.. December issue 1999.

+Quote Post
Pedro_Sondas
post May 29 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 246

The scoop:

and the RAC:

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=814&cID=8

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 29 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 29 2008, 09:49 AM) *
I think they had this planned for MPL?

Thank you Sunspot. I though I remembered that as well. Did the plan carry over to Phoenix though? I thought that it had but over the past month have not been able to find any mention one way or the other.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 29 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #55

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It would be sort of cool to see the RAC with the 'lights' on imaged by the RA,B,C SSI filters smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 29 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #56

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

I am happy...
On the 8th year of the 21st century I have made my first gif... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 29 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #57

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Oh dear god, we've created a monster! A MONSTER I tell you! Run! Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post May 29 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #58

Guests

QUOTE (Pertinax @ May 29 2008, 03:29 PM) *
Thank you Sunspot. I though I remembered that as well.
-- Pertinax

I don't have a scanner, so I had to photograph the article with my digital camera.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post May 29 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #59

Guests

....and the rest of the article.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
hendric
post May 29 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #60

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Q: Can Phoenix wake in the spring without its batteries? Are they the most likely part to be damaged over winter? Could the wakeup "phone home" procedure end up saturating the telecoms orbiters (heh) if Phoenix tried to do it repeatedly?

Q: Do we have any photos at or near the Phoenix latitude taken in the early spring and mid summer for comparing changes?

Q: What amount of expansion/contraction is expected of the polygons? Will we be able to see noticeable changes?

Q: How late in the winter will MRO be able to view Phoenix? Will it take photos past EOM to watch the surface evolution? (and hopefully get some "engineering photos" of Phoenix's shadow across the surface!)

Q: What kind of effect is predicted on the ground ice accumulation due to the albedo change caused by Phoenix's landing?

Q: Is there a decoder for the windsock speed online somewhere?

Q: Phoenix got below the Mars Scout budget cap by using existing equipment. What is the phoenix's team feelings about building a new lander from scratch within the Scout budget?

Here's a great idea for a flash kid's game: Dig with the scoop and drop it into the instruments! My son could play for hours doing that. Hmmm, crazy thought for the "XM"...Write JPL in the sand. smile.gif

Thanks Emily!

PS Some questions from friends:
Q: How long before Phoenix team members get "Order of the Phoenix" badges?

Q: Do they expect the digging to shift the lander at all?

Plus the usual "when is the mic going to come on?"

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.