Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018- 21 Dec 2022
atomoid
post Dec 11 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

very nice panoramas shaping up!
continuing attempts to wring islands of stereo imagery out of the latest sol14 thrusters and blasted soils
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
antipode
post Dec 12 2018, 02:01 AM
Post #257

Member No.: 1206

Nice panos!

Its clearly not a parking lot. Lots of undulating ground at all scales.

At some azimuths I get the impression I can see for many kilometers.

Lines of small dunes/drifts in the middle distance. Big rocks.

What looks like a couple of crater rims on the horizon, and at least once very distant hill.

Phil, have you managed to refine the location at all based on the sol 14 imagery?

Another Phil

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 12 2018, 02:34 AM
Post #258

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, not yet, but I'm looking. Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/ExoMars_CaSSIS/status/1...638302845657094

HiRISE has it! We should see it soon.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
propguy
post Dec 12 2018, 04:16 AM
Post #259

Member No.: 6507

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 11 2018, 07:34 PM) *
No, not yet, but I'm looking. Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/ExoMars_CaSSIS/status/1...638302845657094

HiRISE has it! We should see it soon.

Phil

Yes, HIRISE is supposed to release an image later this week. I have seen an image that shows the lander, heatshield, and backshell/parachute location. Have not seen the actual HIRISE image but instead a pre-landing one with dots on the spots where those are located. Can't wait to see the actual image. Sorry not allowed to distribute the photo I was shown.

+Quote Post
monty python
post Dec 12 2018, 07:22 AM
Post #260

Member No.: 692

Just a new thought here. Most of us have heard the "sound" of winds moving around insights solar panels audio recorded by the seismometer I think.

Could these vibrations transfer to the ground and hinder the supper sensitive seismometers work?

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Dec 12 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #261

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (monty python @ Dec 12 2018, 08:22 AM) *
Just a new thought here. Most of us have heard the "sound" of winds moving around insights solar panels audio recorded by the seismometer I think.

Could these vibrations transfer to the ground and hinder the supper sensitive seismometers work?

They said it was unlikely, that's why they want it on the ground, also they would be able to characterise the noise of the vehicle and be able to ignore or recognise it during the long silent listening phase, if it did indeed transfer.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Dec 12 2018, 09:22 AM
Post #262

Member No.: 6853

Is the InSight image file naming convention publicly available? If so, does anyone here have a link to it

TIA smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lewis007
post Dec 12 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 4772

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 29 2018, 11:04 AM) *
What happened to the "raw" images page ?

https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/multimedia/raw-images/

There is none.

I have a different issue: the raw images page does not work in my browser (Basilisk). I have to use Chrome to get the images.
I wrote NASA to inform them of this issue, but no response yet.
By the way: the feedback link on the InSight webpage did not work either (in Chrome); so I used the general NASA Mars page for my feedback.

It seems the InSight page was developed in a hurry: I never had this mess before (except perhaps with the revamped Cassini webpage a few years ago, but I got a speedy reply, and the issue was solved quickly).

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 12 2018, 12:51 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 1004

to me, the site seems to be very slow at times. I think it does not load thumbnails, but it needs to load the full resolution images when you open it

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 12 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #265

Member No.: 152

Agreed, thumbnails would be better. And a way to view a list of sols without having to manually enter the sol values would be nice. It would be great if someone could create their own site, akin to those people here have for MER and MSL. But unfortunately that would mean having to code up a harvester from scratch.

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post Dec 12 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #266

Member No.: 6597

QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 12 2018, 04:07 PM) *
Agreed, thumbnails would be better. And a way to view a list of sols without having to manually enter the sol values would be nice. It would be great if someone could create their own site, akin to those people here have for MER and MSL. But unfortunately that would mean having to code up a harvester from scratch.

I'm trying to write a "harvester", but I'm afraid I won't be able to finish after New Year sad.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 12 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #267

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 12 2018, 12:42 AM) *
They said it was unlikely, that's why they want it on the ground, also they would be able to characterise the noise of the vehicle and be able to ignore or recognise it during the long silent listening phase, if it did indeed transfer.

Also remember that the seismometer will have a 'hat' installed over it, and minimizing wind vibration is one of the reasons for that.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
jhagen
post Dec 12 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #268

Member No.: 6489

Here's an anaglyph from the sol 14 frames. I inverted the view for visual comfort.
I only intended to post the top image. The bottom image has some bad shadow artifacts.
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
propguy
post Dec 12 2018, 11:43 PM
Post #269

Member No.: 6507

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 12 2018, 09:49 AM) *
Also remember that the seismometer will have a 'hat' installed over it, and minimizing wind vibration is one of the reasons for that.

Yes, wind induced noise is a very big concern for SEIS and has been accounted for in the design. As mentioned there is the 'hat' (known as the WTS or Wind and Temperature Shield) plus the instrument cable tether box (that round thing that shows in the upper left of the ICC images) is very complicated in an effort to ensure the lander does not load the instrument as the vehicle moves in the wind. The cable attachment to the instrument even has a flex plate that will drop off to again limit motion to the instrument even if the cable were to move. There is a very good description of the instruments at: Link to Spaceflight101.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 12 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #270

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thanks, Propguy. smile.gif

Quick question re the WTS: How much is it expected to reduce the amount of temperature variation? I can't imagine that the instrument itself will produce much in the way of stray heat, though maybe it doesn't take much to make a significant (and calibrate-able) difference in terms of performance.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.