Reply to this topicStart new topic
LROC news and images
Phil Stooke
post Sep 30 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #406

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Hi James - That abstract is talking about skylight-type features. I'm looking at what I think are small Ina-like features. Here's another one, the 5th I've found in Tranquillitatis.

Attached Image

With Ina and the similar features in Hyginus crater there are seven known examples (single pits or groups of them). I have not found any in other parts of the Moon yet.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James Fincannon
post Sep 30 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #407

Member No.: 4887

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 30 2011, 02:45 PM) *
Hi James - That abstract is talking about skylight-type features. I'm looking at what I think are small Ina-like features. Here's another one, the 5th I've found in Tranquillitatis.

With Ina and the similar features in Hyginus crater there are seven known examples (single pits or groups of them). I have not found any in other parts of the Moon yet.

Those are quite interesting and different. May I ask you how you handle discoveries of this type? In peer review science, it seems a long process before such discoveries are released via expensive journals. There does not seem to be an international lunar feature registry to post the discovery to (correct me if I am wrong). I mean, its nice to be recognized for the discovery since it takes alot of time or luck or both to find something. Do you feel that by posting to a site like this one, then this is good enough for priority? At MoonZoo for instance most posters seem anonymous which I find odd since I thought they might want some credit for a finding/discovery.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 30 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #408

I will write up something on this soon. I'm not concerned about priority, I'm just enjoying the search and the pleasure of finding something not previously reported. Moonzoo would be another option, but I prefer UMSF. The ideal place for cataloguing various items like this would be the Moon Wiki, I think. It's linked to from LPOD.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 30 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #409

Member No.: 105

In a similar and related topic, MESSENGER is discovering extensive Ina-like features on Mercury:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...mp;#entry178851

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 18 2011, 09:13 PM
Post #410

I now have 13 distinct sites on the moon with these curious 'hollows' - writing something up for LPSC.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 18 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #411

Member No.: 117

Very cool! One question- is it possible that these features (or some of them) are simply kipukas - regions that happened not to be covered by the most recent lava flows and so are surrounded by a flow margin? I don't *think* they look like kipukas, but I wondered if you'd considered that possibility?

John

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 19 2011, 02:25 AM
Post #412

Yes, considered, - but they don't seem to surround high points, even very subtle ones, in fact they sometimes surround depressions. To my amazement Pete Schultz said exactly the same about the few seen in lunar Orbiter images in his book 'Moon Morphology'.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 19 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #413

A new cluster of 'hollows' has now turned up in Mare Serenitatis, just north of Sulpicius Gallus. Here is one part of it.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 19 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #414

Member No.: 542

I notice that several of the fresher craters in that view seem to expose a layer of bright material partway down their inner slopes. In fact at first glance the depth to the bright layers looks not dissimilar to the depth of the hollows. I wonder if the two things could be related??

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 19 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #415

Something similar was pointed out in one of the Mercury cases. Maybe there is a link.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Nov 17 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #416

Member No.: 738

Hey, a new digital elevation map has been released!!! Global maps with nearly 100m/pixel resolution!

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/?archives/48...efore!.html

Whohoo, I've been waiting so long for such a map. What a great day! Lunartastic! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kwan3217
post Nov 17 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #417

Member No.: 477

Would anyone care to comment on the difference between the stereo pair map just released and the LOLA map? Is there any reason to prefer one to the other? Does the data from one instrument help making a map with the other? Is there going to be a single grand unified map made from both laser and stereo pair data?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 17 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #418

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The LROC team anticipated most of your questions. Carefully read the text at the link, and you'll find out how LOLA data was used to aid the production of the LROC map.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Nov 17 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #419

Member No.: 117

It looks from the description that LOLA was used only to (1) refine the LRO orbit solution and (2) fill in the map at the poles. So apart from the poles, the two topographic products are completely independent. Comparison of the two will indeed be interesting. I'm impressed that stereo alone can produce a map of this apparent fidelity.

John

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 22 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #420

Member No.: 4489

Comparison of the two will indeed be interesting.

i just got done making a Celestia VT 64 k map using the LRO-WAC
for a compassion see:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16522

a cleaned up version of the 256 ppd lola

and the 256 lro-wac dem

an example of the NOT cleaned up lola

and a NEW LRO-WAC dem ( same crater as above )

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.