Reply to this topicStart new topic
Apophis Tracking Mission
hendric
post Dec 30 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #61

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

While a tagging mission tells us where Apophis will be in the future, I think that information can be just as easily acquired by telescopes during the close approaches. We've already landed on two asteroids (Hayabusa and NEAR Shoemaker), so I'd consider a "tagging" mission to not gain us any ability or knowledge we don't already have. A redirection mission lets us get experience doing deflections, and gives us the opportunity to learn about the gotchyas before they happen during a critical encounter. For instance, I'm wondering how much a "gravity tractor beam" mission would need to worry about heat exposure from the asteroid, a la Chandrayaan-1, esp. since many Earth-crossers go significantly closer to the Sun. Or how hard would station-keeping be near a giant rotating potato? Etc.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Dec 30 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 557

Apophis is schedueled for additional radar ranging by Goldstone, and probably Aricebo, in January 2013. Everyone is keeping a close eye on it. The threat in 2029 is gone, and the one in 2036 is one chance in 250,000.

Sending a deflection mission out to it, at this time, is a very bad idea. We need to know more about the asteroid itself before you could even start to plan a mission. The potential for making the situation worse, instead of better, exists if you don't have this rock thoroughly studied and modeled.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 30 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #63

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I can see some rationale for this mission as a technology demonstrator. However, yeah, it'd be much more prudent to try this on a rock that's not an Earth-crosser (& make sure that the experiment didn't subsequently make the target a new Earth-crosser!)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Dec 30 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 30 2009, 09:10 PM) *
I can see some rationale for this mission as a technology demonstrator. However, yeah, it'd be much more prudent to try this on a rock that's not an Earth-crosser (& make sure that the experiment didn't subsequently make the target a new Earth-crosser!)

C'mon. You don't want experimental validation for whether an impacting asteroid could have killed off the dinosaurs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 31 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #65

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (vjkane @ Dec 30 2009, 02:57 PM) *
C'mon. You don't want experimental validation for whether an impacting asteroid could have killed off the dinosaurs?

There are no dinosaurs on the Moon, and look at all the evidence of impacts. That's good enough for me.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Dec 31 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 31 2009, 12:00 AM) *
There are no dinosaurs on the Moon, and look at all the evidence of impacts. That's good enough for me.

No one doubts that impacts happen, just whether the global effects are dino-strophic enough to kill off lots of species and families of species. Still lots of arguments on that one.

I sort of view it like the hole in the wing of Columbia. Until they did the test that proved that foam could bust a hole, there were lots of doubters despite the loss of the shuttle. So a good asteroid strike could settle this other debate. If there are any sentient survivors, of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.