Reply to this topicStart new topic
LA UMSF Gathering?
nprev
post Apr 7 2007, 01:47 AM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

WIld, entirely selfish thought here: Is there any chance that we could arrange some sort of party for UMSFers in LA, preferably in association with JPL & TPS next May ('08) to watch Phoenix's arrival? For me, it's a ten-mile drive to Pasadena, but of course travel and lodging would not be insignificant for most (if not all) of our members, to say nothing of asking JPL & TPS to support us. Again, just a thought...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 7 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Member No.: 454

In the nearer term, I'm thinking about going to Griffith Observatory next Thursday for the Yuri's Night event (which, fortunately for me and the kid, actually begins at noon). Any other UMSF Angelenos planning to attend?

In the longer term, I agree that next time there's a big event at JPL and/or TPS there should be a UMSF gathering. TPS will have some big event sometime in the next two years, I am sure, though I don't know what or when yet.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 7 2007, 04:18 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 197

The California Space Authority is holding a conference at LAX in November. I'll probably attend some portion of it for my work. It's not exactly UMSF stuff, but some of our favorite people do attend these things.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Apr 7 2007, 04:23 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

In the nearer term, I'm thinking about going to Griffith Observatory next Thursday for the Yuri's Night event (which, fortunately for me and the kid, actually begins at noon). Any other UMSF Angelenos planning to attend?

That sounds like the perfect occasion to visit the newly-renovated Griffith Observatory. I'll try to be there smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 7 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Emily, please tell us more about this 'night event'. Never been to Griffith, happen to be free that night, sounds interesting!:)

EDIT: Argh, I'm dumb...Yuri Gagarin of couse, it's April now, isn't it? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Apr 9 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 45

I won't be able to make the Thursday night presentation, but I'd be willing to drive the 3 hours to attend the May '08 event. I have relatives I can stay with in Valley Village, just a hop, skip and a jump to Pasadena.

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 9 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Member No.: 454

http://www.yurisnight.net

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tglotch
post Apr 10 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 960

Another possibility is the 7th Mars conference, which will be held at Caltech in July...

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/7thmars2007/

+Quote Post
um3k
post Apr 11 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 372

I'll be able to attend a UMSF gathering if it occurs in NE Ohio, otherwise probably not. But why not come here? We've got NASA Glenn Research Center, and...uh...well, Geoffrey Landis works there, if you've ever heard of him. He's a science fiction writer and a member of the MER science team. In fact, he'll be speaking at my astronomy club's meeting this month. Oh, there's also an astronaut or a few in Ohio...

Ok, so it's not exactly a major hub of space exploration. But hey, it's convenient for me!

[/ramble]

+Quote Post
mchan
post Apr 21 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 476

JPL's Open House is on May 19 and 20.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 09:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.