Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 9 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #497

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 9 2013, 12:38 PM) *
I think I found most of the city features here...

Certainly, and I referenced your post, but if you reread it, you'll see that it expressed some hope that more features might appear in parts of the image that hadn't been received at that time. I was hoping that somebody might revisit that (as it turned out I don't think we can see anything you didn't initially.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 10 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #498

Member No.: 6780

This is a subframe of efb17, cleaned from camera artifacts, and brightened by a factor of eight:
Attached Image

I tend to claim, that efb17 shows (besides artifacts) almost exclusively hits by energetic particles.
It's one of the challenges we've to cope with near Jupiter.

When looking at stars from outside the Van Allen belts some of the features may still be CR or SEP hits.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 10 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #499

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 9 2013, 06:43 PM) *
On the topic of the nightside images, I'll note that there are a few interesting blobs in efb15 and probably efb16 and no one has ever looked at those in any detail, so there's a chance for a real amateur discovery here. Of course most of those blobs are stars.

Here a first draft of Orion, Canis Major (including Sirius), some more, cleaned and brightened from efb15:

Edit: EFB15 cleaned, brightened, and annotated with labels for features, for which I could find some plausible (to me) identification:

For one bright spot I couldn't find a unique plausible identification. It's marked by a red circle.
If the stars are marked more or less correctly, the object should be far away from the ecliptic; so a planet looks unlikely as an explanation.

-- free to repost --

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 11 2013, 02:56 PM
Post #500

Switching between schematic efb14 and efb15 simplifies identification of stars in efb14:

The schematic views have been obtained by appropriate blurring and stretching.

So far, I didn't succeed in identifying features in efb16 the same way.

Determining the position of the Earth in efb15 visually by looking for occulted stars may work to a certain degree.
I'd guess, that the bright, not yet identified feature in efb15 should be a city on Earth.

Edit: The above animated gif combined into one image, as preliminary as it is:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 14 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #501

efb14, 15, and 16 cleaned, amplified, and registered by stars, reduced 8-fold, rgb-combined:
Attached Image

Orion and Sirius turned out to work for registering efb16.

The image may help to determine/confirm phase shift and pointing; radiometric calibration and geometric fine adjustment is tbd.
Especially efb16 still needs to be checked for s/n; it might turn out, that the camera is rather sensitive to blue stars.

Special thanks to Astro0 for the new version of the logo!

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 21 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #502

An excerpt (efb15) of some intermediate data reduction step:

The first image is the raw efb15 image cleaned (to some degree) and enhanced 16x, but not adjusted geometrically.
The second and third image are data reduced versions (operating on cleaned, but not on enhanced version). Each "bright" spot is represented by a symbol consisting of a cross for the position and a square for the integrated brightness (edge length roughly proportional to the natural logarithm of the integrated brightness).

Precise (not necessarily accurate) values are contained in the two textfiles Attached File  efb15_ModVertHipass_NormalWaveletsCrude_rad4_forw.txt ( 16.1K ) Number of downloads: 252
and Attached File  efb15_ModVertHipass_NormalWaveletsCrude_rad4_backw.txt ( 16.05K ) Number of downloads: 266
for spreadsheet import.
Framelets are counted from the bottom of the image to the top. WeightAreaSum is the summed (integrated) brightness of the considered spot. BarycenterX and Y are weighted averages; origin is the lower left corner; so you may need to add a column 10495-BarycenterY to find the symbol corresponding to the data record in the image. SigmaX and Y are root mean square sums of the weighted distances to the BarycenterX resp. Y. As weight of a pixel its grey value is used.
Analysis of a spot is restricted to one framelet and to a square of 16x16 pixels. Sirius extends beyond the 16x16 limitations, and is split in each of the two framelets it occurs.

The analysis method is biased by the order (left-right/up-down) of the analysis; therefore I've provided two runs with opposite bias.

Assigning stars with known properties to several of the spots will be one of the next steps to pin down image geometry, and may be radiometry.

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Dec 4 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #503

Member No.: 7013

Gerald, Astro0 and Phil Stooke we plan to highlight your contributions at the AGU Juno press conference

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Dec 4 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #504

QUOTE (Gerald @ Oct 21 2013, 11:15 PM) *
Sometimes it's too simple: Inferred RGB color for lower margin (of raw image) to remove yellowish-bluish stripes:

free to repost

This is the image we plan to highlight in the press conference if you can send me / Caplinger a .png version

Thanks!
Candy

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Dec 4 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #505

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Oct 10 2013, 03:50 PM) *
Totally fanciful and just for the heck of it. Not scientifically accurate...disclaimer, blah, blah, blah blah, etc, etc.... wink.gif

[attachment=31149:JUNO_flyby.jpg]

This is your image we'd like to highlight - if you'd like this attributed to a name other than Astro0 please let me / Caplinger know. Also, .png would be appreciated.

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Dec 4 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #506

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 9 2013, 12:21 PM) *
Here's a composite of the three frames merged to reduce artifacts, and rotated north-up. Crisium is the most prominent dark spot, with Marginis and Smythii to the right and Fecunditatis on the terminator.

Phil

[attachment=31140:efb01_composite.jpg]

This is the image we plan to highlight and we are using your exact words in the caption. (-: We'll need it in .png if possible. Thanks!

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Dec 4 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #507

Member No.: 655

Congratulations you image wizards, and good luck with the press conference Candy.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 5 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #508

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

PNG of mine on its way via email.

Now we just have to deal with Jupiter! That's going to be what is sometimes referred to as a blast!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
0101Morpheus
post Dec 6 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #509

Member No.: 6711

I cant seem to find any information if Juno will perform a flyby of any asteroids on the way to Jupiter. I'll take that as there will be no such flyby. Unfortunate.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 6 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #510

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, absolutely not.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.