Closed TopicStart new topic
Space observatories
tedstryk
post Jan 31 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #16

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

That is really amazing, Machi. There are some other plans, such as the Russian-led World Space Observatory that would provide a 1.7m UV telescope (extending into the visible), but whether it will materialize is debatable.

It would be interesting to compare this to the coverage available from the ground.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
machi
post Feb 1 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

"That is really amazing, Machi."

Thanks!

" There are some other plans, such as the Russian-led World Space Observatory that would provide a 1.7m UV telescope (extending into the visible), but whether it will materialize is debatable."

I know about WSO (World Space Observatory), afterall we talked about it some time ago on facebook, but I depicted only (future) missions with well known start date (only exception is JWST). I suppose that both near future russian's (international) missions (second is Spectrum-X-Gamma), will eventually fly and then I'll add them to the graphic.

"It would be interesting to compare this to the coverage available from the ground."

Yes, this would be interesting, and I plan to do so, but now I'm doing different kind of information graphic, more focused on our knowledge of the Solar system.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Jun 6 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3233

If the Daily Mail can be believed, two hubble class telescopes no longer needed for spy satelites are available for free to any scientist who can find 1000 million dollars to build a spacecraft to fly one of them in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...used-place.html

These telescopes have a wider field of view than Hubble and so have uses beyond astronomy.

I would like to see one of these telescopes sent to Mars as part of a super MRO mission. I want to count the number of rocks greater than 1cm in size on the surface of Mars. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
machi
post Jun 6 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #19

Yes, it's true, but better source is this:

Committee on Astronomy and Astrophysics

You can found some info in "Past Meeting Presentations
June 4-6, 2012
Washington, DC"

One of 2.4 meter telescopes can be (probably) used as base for WFIRST.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jun 9 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 4489

---edit----

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 9 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 615

Just to be clear here. NASA is NOT having bake sales etc.
These events are public awareness efforts by members of the science community and other grassroots supporters.

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Jun 9 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3233

There is a lot of excitement in the press about these two telescopes.

http://www.economist.com/node/21556553

http://news.yahoo.com/nro-gifts-nasa-two-s...-210900586.html

http://www.spacenews.com/commentaries/1206...telescopes.html

Unfortunately someone will have to sell a lot of cookies to find the money to make use of them. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 9 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5221

Hey, speaking of which, what happened to Triana? Still gathering dust? Last we heard they were thinking about making it a solar observatory (though hopefully not losing the blue marble camera).

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jun 15 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (PaulM @ Jun 9 2012, 10:01 AM) *
There is a lot of excitement in the press about these two telescopes.

Any chance these could fly as a pair as a single interferometric mission? Perhaps to image (spectra, etceteras) Earth-size and smaller exoplanets?

+Quote Post
machi
post Jun 15 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #25

I seriously doubt about that.
But I have very strong suspicion, that ITT already tried sold their 2.4 meters TMA to NASA. smile.gif
So maybe we have candidate for second telescope (WFIRST is candidate mission for first one) - HORUS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 16 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 197

This topic is CLOSED.

The UMSF Admin team (admins and mods) had been watching this thread closely as it was obvious that it had the potential to breach several 'banned topics' on the Forum.
While most members kept their comments 'on topic', several comments were deleted as they over-stepped the mark.
After a number of breaches, it was clear that this topic was going nowhere but downhill and so we took the action to close it.
We advise all members to be fully aware of the Forum Rules and Guidelines to assist the Admin team in maintaining the "quality of discourse" on UMSF.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:06 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.