Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
ICE / ISEE-3, First comet encounter September 1985
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 24 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Guests

Any weblinks where we can learn something about the where-abouts of ICE/ISEE ( International Comet Explorer / International Sun Earth Explorer ) as the craft was expected to return to Earth in 2014?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Feb 16 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 758

From the document below, which is a very long Word document. 37 pages and over 10 Mbytes in all.

highorbits.jhuapl.edu/aplmisns.doc

"Three delta-V maneuvers totaling 42 m/sec were performed in 1985 to target ICE to fly through the tail axis of Comet Giacobini Zinner about 8000 km from the nucleus. More details of the highly successful encounter are given elsewhere.

In 2014, ICE will pass near the Earth, and an in-plane delta-V of 1.5 m/sec and an out-of-plane delta-V of 39 m/sec were performed on February 27 and April 7, 1986, respectively, to target a lunar swingby on August 10, 2014.

That swingby plus some small maneuvers could capture ICE back into an Earth orbit, perhaps even returning it to a libration-point orbit14. ISEE-3/ICE may be known to most for its comet “first”, but in astronautics it is most famous for pioneering the use of both libration-point and double-lunar-swingby orbits."

Rob

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 14 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Guests

Indeed the multiple lunar flybys (5 in total in 1983) were needed to establish the transfer trajectory towards comet Giacobini-Zinner. (closest approach 7800 kilometers on 11th September 1985)
The spacecraft even flew 0.2 AU on the Sunward side of comet Halley on 28th March 1986.
Funny note: NASA has donated the spacecraft to the National Air & Space Museum if it could be captured/recovered during the Earth flyby in the year 2014 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 19 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Guests

6 years to go before it comes close to Earth again smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 20 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

PhilCo or anybody else who has a collection of old journals: do any of you have the an issue of the Journal of the Astronautical Sciences from 2001, vol. 49, no. 1? I'm looking for an article "The flight of ISEE-3/ICE: Origins, mission history, and a legacy," specifically, figure 29...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 20 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 19 2008, 07:09 PM) *
PhilCo or anybody else who has a collection of old journals: do any of you have the an issue of the Journal of the Astronautical Sciences from 2001, vol. 49, no. 1? I'm looking for an article "The flight of ISEE-3/ICE: Origins, mission history, and a legacy," specifically, figure 29...

There are some ICEE orbital graphics here Emily (page 12 onward) if that's what you are looking for
http://www.ieec.fcr.es/libpoint/papers/dunham.pdf

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Oct 10 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #7

Here is a photo of ISEE-3 plus a diagram from the depths of the Internet. And for comparison a picture of ISEE-1.

Rob
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 10 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 19 2008, 10:54 PM) *
There are some ICEE orbital graphics here Emily (page 12 onward) if that's what you are looking for
http://www.ieec.fcr.es/libpoint/papers/dunham.pdf

Figure 4 was very informative!

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Oct 15 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #9

This link is to a Time magazine article from long ago on ISEE-3 / ICE - first comet encounter by humans:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,959946,00.html

Interesting reading!

Rob

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post Jan 16 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3662

Hello,

I'm starting a scratchbuild of ISEE-3/ICE in 1/24 scale. The images & other info posted here were a great start.

According to the press kit, the spacecraft sounds to be mostly hollow and open at the bottom side, with the exception of a cone-shaped structure that extends down from the instrument shelf (visible in top or oblique photos & drawings) to connect to the launch vehicle payload adapter. I'm visualizing something like the Pioneer Venus orbiter, where you could see all the way in from underneath.

Does anybody have a picture of the underside of ISEE-3/ICE to confirm this?

Thanks very much!
Jeff

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Jan 20 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #11

Jeff this is Rob (Yahoo - Space Modeler member). I'll see what I have at home, if the Internet is up there. We lost our modem over the weekend and it was to be repaired today. Have you checked the Files on the S-M website? There is a photo of ICE on the spin balance table that shows part of the lower structure.

Part 2 - I found this diagram of the gamma ray detector which is mounted on the aft end. The diagram shows no protruding structure. That kind of structure would block the -Z axis antenna. The diagram is from a data set report found on the internet.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post Jan 20 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3662

QUOTE (robspace54 @ Jan 20 2009, 02:46 PM) *
Jeff this is Rob (Yahoo - Space Modeler member). I'll see what I have at home, if the Internet is up there. We lost our modem over the weekend and it was to be repaired today. Have you checked the Files on the S-M website? There is a photo of ICE on the spin balance table that shows part of the lower structure.

Part 2 - I found this diagram of the gamma ray detector which is mounted on the aft end. The diagram shows no protruding structure. That kind of structure would block the -Z axis antenna. The diagram is from a data set report found on the internet.

Rob,

Thanks very much for the diagram! I hadn't run into that one, and all of a sudden, this model got a lot easier! I do have the photo of ICE on the spin table, and between the two views, can make a reasonable go at the underside.

Also, I've sent a note to the ICE contact listed at NSSDC, in case he can provide any more information.

Shameless endorsement: For anyone reading this who has interest in modeling real spacecraft, the best resource I've found online is the Yahoo! space-modelers interest group Rob mentioned. Even if you don't care about modeling, thousands of imagses and drawings are in the archives--a lot of history is being preserved there.

Jeff

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Jan 21 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #13

Here is the ISEE 3 (ICE) S-band antenna - 4 inch diameter x 30 inches long
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 5 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #14

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

So - time warp for a thread time but...

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda.../2008/1673.html

In that awesome article, Emily mentioned that it would need to be reactivated in 2012 for a 2014 recapture.

Any news on that? I've heard nothing.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 8 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #15

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 5 2012, 09:44 PM) *
So - time warp for a thread time but...

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda.../2008/1673.html

In that awesome article, Emily mentioned that it would need to be reactivated in 2012 for a 2014 recapture.

Any news on that? I've heard nothing.

I've done a lot of searching on this and come up dry.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.