Reply to this topicStart new topic
After Victoria..., .. what next?
mars loon
post Sep 7 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 3 2008, 12:17 PM) *
I've seen mention of a return to Erebus / Terra Nova before.

some months back I had occasion to speak to someone on the mission. he said a return to Erebus was one possibility

personally I hope they will stake out new territory for new discoveries.

its seems somewhat surprising they aren't at least driving to Cabo Frio as mentioned during arrival 2 years ago in Oct 2006 before completely leaving Victoria

ken

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenny
post Sep 8 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 759

I agree about Cabo Frio, and along the way I'd like a look inside Sputnik and its curious internal feature. We saw its rocky rim off to our right as we approached the rim of Victoria, so many moons ago...

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 9 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #258

Member No.: 116

If cobbles are indeed the focus of the future plans, we have noticed that cobbles exist randomly, everywhere on Mars. There is concern that Opportunity may not be physically capable of exploring its future environments. The easily navigable surroundings of this crater's annulus are just as likely to provide access to surprising rocks as is the treacherous dune/ripple environment in most directions from here.

If I was looking for a new plan, I'd look for places where there were few ripples/dunes, and more bedrock.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 21 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #259

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Due south from Victoria is very feasible. The drifts never get as big as to the north, and after a few km they give way to surfaces nearly as smooth as the area near Endurance, but with more flat outcrops - this from the HiRISE image extending furthest south and east. So, south until the drifts disappear, and then southeast via the Endurance-like crater to the isolated hill on Endeavour's rim is very realistic.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.