Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto Surface Observations 1: NH Post-Encounter Phase, 1 Aug 2015- 10 Oct 2015
ngunn
post Oct 9 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #541

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

QUOTE (HSchirmer @ Oct 9 2015, 04:20 PM) *
I'm beginning to think that tholin dust might be faster acting than radiation aging.

That's what I was assuming in post 533. The majority of red areas are not showing the water ice signature so perhaps it's only recently disturbed red areas that do, with the water ice exposed at new cracks, slides or whatever.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 9 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #542

Member No.: 110

I wonder if the water ice they have detected is amorphous or crystalline.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Oct 9 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #543

Member No.: 6842

Please bear with me as the "real colour" kind of guy... Have there been any images produced from the Ralph/MVIC data that take clear (LORRI), and red and blue (Ralph) data to produce the green channel, and result in RGB images of Pluto's surface?

While I understand that a lot of science can be gained from narrowband, infrared, and UV wavelengths, for the general public it'd be a real treat to see Pluto the way a DSLR or human eyes would see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Oct 9 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #544

Member No.: 7507

QUOTE (alan @ Oct 9 2015, 04:02 PM) *
I wonder if the water ice they have detected is amorphous or crystalline.

... and if crystalline what form. Given how most forms of high pressure ices are metastable, there's really the potential to see almost anything... (even though Ice XI is most likely)

+Quote Post
stfletch
post Oct 13 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #545

Member No.: 7790

Hi all,

My first post here, so I wanted to add something useful.

I've been reading all the posts here for a while and have noticed a number of members asking about Images we've already received and what we are still expecting.

There are already a number of useful sources for this but I have tried to pull them all together to make a nice clear table.

My main base for what images we are expecting was based on the JPL New Horizons Flyby page, but I've also got info from Emily's Image that she is updating on http://planetary.org/ and also from tables that Machi has posted previously.

As for what we have received, for LORRI images I have just been keeping track of the LORRI SOC page. MVIC images are a little trickier as I am having to rely on the processed images on the Science Photos page, but I think I have covered everything.

Note that I have grouped together observations sets and I have only included actual images from LORRI and MVIC, no other data types. Also I have limited the table to observations around the closest approach.

I will try to keep this link updated as new observations come in!

Expected and Received Observations from New Horizons

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 13 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #546

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (wildespace @ Oct 9 2015, 12:21 PM) *
Please bear with me as the "real colour" kind of guy... Have there been any images produced from the Ralph/MVIC data that take clear (LORRI), and red and blue (Ralph) data to produce the green channel, and result in RGB images of Pluto's surface?

They haven't done it with the LORRI data yet; it's not yet part of Alex Parker's color computation algorithm. I have asked him about this and they may do it down the road, but right now he's just working with the Ralph data. They will, eventually, release a synthetic true-ish color version of the gigantic MVIC image, but they're taking the time to get it right.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Oct 13 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #547

Member No.: 4489

hi - stfletch

most of us are just waiting for the NH imaging data to be here
http://sbn.pds.nasa.gov/data_sb/missions/n...ons/index.shtml

on the small bodies node

+Quote Post
Guest_MichaelPoole_*
post Oct 13 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #548

Guests

QUOTE (wildespace @ Oct 9 2015, 08:21 PM) *

While I understand that a lot of science can be gained from narrowband, infrared, and UV wavelengths, for the general public it'd be a real treat to see Pluto the way a DSLR or human eyes would see it.

Hello,

Here is a lower resolution LORRI + Ralph image:

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/global-m...o-in-true-color

And an amateur, but well done mosaic of lower resolution color data and the 8K Pluto/2K Charon picture:

http://harbingerdawn.deviantart.com/art/Ne...-Edit-564588375
http://harbingerdawn.deviantart.com/art/Ne...-edit-564585558

All credit goes to harbringerdawn. There are NOT my photos. Note - you must press the download button on the right side of the screen to get a full resolution picture.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 13 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #549

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

MOD NOTE: Since this thread now contains over 550 posts it's time to start a new one for discussion of Pluto surface images received after 10 Oct. This thread will remain open, but please post over here for new stuff.

Doing this to facilitate future search-ability. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Jan 5 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #550

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Sep 11 2015, 06:53 AM) *
It's not just your eyes. smile.gif When I first saw them, I thought those tiny ripple-like features could be imaging artifacts.

They look erosional. Perhaps some sort of feedback process related to sublimation created them. Can anyone imagine a way that can happen?

Bladed terrain on Pluto appears to be ice towers and ice ridges that jut up a third of a mile....

Penitentes as the origin of the bladed terrain of Tartarus Dorsa on Pluto

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 35 36 37
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:28 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.