Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Phoenix has landed!
Guest_Bobby_*
post May 26 2008, 06:07 AM
Post #196

Guests

When is Tesheiner going to start a Phoenix Route Map???

LOL & cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 26 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #197

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

woohoo! amazing stuff! looking forward to the days to come smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post May 26 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #198

Member No.: 3995

QUOTE (nprev @ May 26 2008, 12:04 AM) *
...he's gonna have to walk a LONG way before he finds a seal, then! tongue.gif

The seals are under the ice. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 26 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #199

Guests

Congrats to all at JPL and the University of Arizona...
A great job by UMSF.com with a server ready for this occasion!
cool.gif

+Quote Post
As old as Voyage...
post May 26 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #200

Member No.: 1462

Congratulations Phoenix and JPL! Great landing and a great experience last night.

Never seen UMSF with so many users!

--------------------
It's a funny old world - A man's lucky if he gets out of it alive. - W.C. Fields.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post May 26 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #201

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

I'd also like to add my voice to those who have been congratulating NASA and JPL for last night's wonderful achievement. mars.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post May 26 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #202

Member No.: 759

Likewise, many congratulations are due on a truly brilliant recovery from the previous debacle...
which left us wondering about the risks of attempting a non-airbag landing.

Regarding the sparkly object on the horizon, recall that the interior of the backshell is very shiny silvery material (if the same as the Rovers') and those backshells both became inverted on impact, which made them so bright and caused long streaks of camera artifacts similar to what we see here.

Also, given the flat unobstructed terrian, I'll be surprised if the parachute isn't lying visible somewhere on the other side of the spacecraft, currently out of view....

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post May 26 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #203

Member No.: 114

Where can I get a model like the one shown at the press conference?

+Quote Post
FIN Mars
post May 26 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #204

Member No.: 733

Great! laugh.gif

btw, there is a light near horizon at one of the pictures? Could it be a headshield or parachute?

http://www.space.fmi.fi/phoenix/ < I'm very happy becouse this is the first time when something from finland goes succesfully to groud of the Mars smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post May 26 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #205

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (nprev @ May 25 2008, 09:31 PM) *
I dunno. I mentioned mine dumps on another thread, and they sure look like this in Butte, MT: no coherent pattern in rock shapes, lots of deposition of same on or near frost heave lines (it gets VERY cold there in the winter, and unexpectedly warm in the summer). I'd say that a lot of the rocks we see are being excavated by frost heaves over time.
I'd guess that we're seeing frost heave, plus wind deflation, plus ejecta from the crater to the east. Some pebbles look angular and some rounded. The frost polygons are reminescent of parts of Meridiani, no? Different origin, similar erosional processes.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
imipak
post May 26 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #206

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ May 26 2008, 01:21 PM) *
The frost polygons are reminescent of parts of Meridiani, no? Different origin, similar erosional processes.

It does look reminiscent of the etched terrain, but I think the scales are different. This is flatter than Meridiani, and the vertical relief of each polygon looks pretty invariant. So what appears to be a sea of dune crests are really the darker sides of the polygons. My estimate last night of 30-50cm height looks to be a 10x over-estimate in the cold light of, er, early afternoon. I can't wait for anaglyphs showing the arm out, to provide scale. As to erosional processes - no, I don't think there's CO2 frost cracking / exfoliation at Meridiani, just aeolian erosion caused by slow moving airborne fines and saltation.

The darker fine material along the edges of the polygons where they slope downwards towards the "cracks", has a crust-like appearance in places. Presumably that's fine dust eroded from the pebbles, and it's preferentially sorted onto the sides of the "valleys" by wind (?)

I have to say I'm quite happy Teshiener won't have to make route maps by deciphering which nearly identical dune we're parked next to today... that whole slog down to Erebus and Beagle was purgatory to me smile.gif

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Rxke
post May 26 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #207

Member No.: 41

Belated congrats to all the nice people who made this landing a success. smile.gif

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 26 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #208

Member No.: 184

In post #173 I also started to consider a comparison of polygons at the Phoenix site and Utopia Planatia (latitude 48N) for Viking 2.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.