IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev 126 - Feb 4-22, 2010 - Mimas (main target), Tethys, Iapetus, Calypso and mutual events too
Guest_2of7_*
post Feb 25 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #106

Guests

Hi everyone! This is my first post: usually I read but I don't write (I'm a bit slow to write in English!!! smile.gif ).

Of all the missions in progress, I follow with particular interest the Cassini mission.

On February 13, 2010, Cassini flew by Saturn's moon Mimas, coming as close as 9.500 kilometers.

Pending other NASA's images, here some of mine processed for Lunar Explorer Italy:

N00151541-60 MIMAS CL1 and CL2 filter mosaic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunexit/4362422472/

Herschel Crater (IR1, GRB, UV filter)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunexit/4361704219/sizes/o/

Mimas in front of Saturn - False and natural color

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunexit/4361885853/sizes/o/

This post has been edited by elakdawalla: Feb 25 2010, 05:20 PM
Reason for edit: Swapped thumbnails in for full size image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Feb 25 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 1102

2of7 Welcome to UMSF. Maybe a benevolent admin can move your post and nice images from the closed thread to this one. Unlike many forums in which almost every new post is a new thread, at UMSF most posts here go into ongoing threads. I hope you are undaunted by the outcome of your first post and continue to contribute images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_2of7_*
post Feb 25 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #108

Guests

Thanks Floyd. My mistake! I saw the right category but in the end I wrong!
All this, will be the fault of my English! smile.gif I'm sorry... if some admin'll move the images here I would be happy rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 25 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #109

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Welcome to UMSF, 2of7!

smile.gif

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Guest_2of7_*
post Feb 25 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #110

Guests

thanks to the admins to have moved my post!

Hi Juramike, we wrote on flickr ... and now I am here! : )

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Feb 25 2010, 05:02 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 1828

here is the global color and high-resolution map of Mimas i posted on my blog a few weeks back!
(although at 400 m resolution, this version is shown at 800 m). I will be posting some fun Rhea views later today.

The paper describing all the color maps has now been submitted for publication. In it we describe
the blue equatorial bands on the leading hemispheres of both Mimas and Tethys and show
they are due to electrons bombarding and altering the surface. The Saturn system is complicated!

http://stereomoons.blogspot.com
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_2of7_*
post Feb 25 2010, 05:06 PM
Post #112

Guests

Mimas and Tethys crater:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunexit/4367259591/sizes/o/

....so similar and different at the same time!

This post has been edited by elakdawalla: Feb 25 2010, 05:17 PM
Reason for edit: Swapped thumbnail in for full size image

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 26 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #113

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

Here is a Mimas/Herschel animation based on a slightly improved version of the DEM mentioned earlier in the thread. Steve's map has been draped over the DEM:

Attached File  mimas_herschel_stereo_sfs_dem.avi ( 4.86MB ) Number of downloads: 349

The field of view is 50° and the altitude above Mimas' surface ranges from ~100 km to ~250 km. As mentioned earlier the stereo based DEM is extremely crude since I haven't incorporated the new data into it. Once this data hits the PDS the accuracy will greatly improve. It should also be kept in mind that the shape-from-shading DEM I combined with the stereo DEM is highly preliminary. Despite this I think this gives a good idea of what this thing looks like - at the very least this is by far the most realistic animation of Herschel I have ever seen ;-).

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 27 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #114

Member No.: 530

Nice! The view from that peak would be tremendous.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 28 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #115

IMG to PNG GOD

The view to the NNW from the central peak summit might be somewhat similar to this:

Attached Image

The altitude above the central peak summit is less than 100 meters and the field of view is 60 degrees. Needless to say the detailed appearance of the crater floor is only approximate but the crater wall height should be fairly accurate.

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Feb 28 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #116

Member No.: 4972

QUOTE (2of7 @ Feb 25 2010, 12:06 PM) *
Mimas and Tethys crater:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunexit/4367259591/sizes/o/

....so similar and different at the same time!

Those are no moons wacko.gif
Those are the Death stars we thought we blew up
Wheres George Lucas when you need him laugh.gif

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 28 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Feb 27 2010, 08:39 PM) *
The altitude above the central peak summit is less than 100 meters and the field of view is 60 degrees. Needless to say the detailed appearance of the crater floor is only approximate but the crater wall height should be fairly accurate.

Cool! Too bad it's the anti-saturn hemisphere...

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 28 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Feb 24 2010, 01:08 AM) *
Here is a test render where Steve's map has been draped over the DEM without applying any shading:

The viewing geometry is the same as previously. This reveals that some of the DEM's topography may be due to albedo variations in the source map and not due to topographic shading. 'Blinking' these two images is rather interesting.

Bjorn - nice to see the layering in the walls of Herschel on this. Is this a true vertical perspective or is there any vertical exaggeration?

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 28 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (DrShank @ Feb 25 2010, 05:02 PM) *
here is the global color and high-resolution map of Mimas i posted on my blog a few weeks back!
(although at 400 m resolution, this version is shown at 800 m). I will be posting some fun Rhea views later today.

The paper describing all the color maps has now been submitted for publication. In it we describe
the blue equatorial bands on the leading hemispheres of both Mimas and Tethys and show
they are due to electrons bombarding and altering the surface. The Saturn system is complicated!

http://stereomoons.blogspot.com

Interesting Paul to see this blue band on both Mimas and Tethys. I also notice they both show a brownish color on their trailing hemispheres.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 28 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #120

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (scalbers @ Feb 28 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Bjorn - nice to see the layering in the walls of Herschel on this. Is this a true vertical perspective or is there any vertical exaggeration?

There is no vertical exaggeration in any of the images/animations I have posted here. The largest uncertainty is the steepness of the crater walls. This is because the stereo DEM is very crude as previously noted.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:23 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.