Reply to this topicStart new topic
LRO development
kwan3217
post Jul 23 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 477

QUOTE (PhilHorzempa @ Jul 22 2008, 01:59 PM) *
For those who were not convinced of my reasoning, check this link that suggests that the LRO's launch will slip to February 2009.

http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/leonarddavid/

Pretty close to my earlier analysis and prediction.

I work with the Solar Dyanmics Observatory and received the following email. SDO is one of 3 spacecraft competing for two launch vehicles. LRO is one of the others, so their launch affects ours and vice versa. Nothing in this email is marked confidential, but personal information has been redacted.
Date: July 11, 2008 9:07:31 AM MDT
Subject: Latest on SDO Launch Date

Team,

We have just heard from our management and KSC.

LRO has swapped manifest positions with OTV which was a February 2009 launch. So, OTV now has the December 2008 slot, and LRO has the February 2009 slot. Per KSC/ULA, SDO has priority on any slot that opens up between LRO and MSL (currently September 2009). ULA has waitlisted us on the manifest for June 2009, with a potential of April. My understanding is that the currently manifested June mission is shakier than the April mission. However, both are possibilities.

We will be working over the next month or so to come up with a plan to accommodate the new reality; you will be involved in the planning (even though I realize we will have to work odd hours to touch base with people who are on shiftwe will do so).

The good news is that we will be able to complete our thermal testing without interruption, and will then be in a position to take advantage of almost any launch opportunity that arises.

Thank you,

Take this for what it's worth.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 23 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (kwan3217 @ Jul 23 2008, 12:13 PM) *
I work with the Solar Dyanmics Observatory

So does my friend Tom:
http://thecommentators.blogspot.com/2008/0...adventures.html

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 15 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #153

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

It is official. http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/08/14/m...d.ap/index.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 15 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #154

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Just to make things more interesting for overall launch scheduling/coordination (like they need to be made more so rolleyes.gif ), I've been hearing vague things about some sort of newly-discovered problem with Deltas that might have a ripple effect on everybody. Anybody more in the know have any info?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Aug 15 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #155

Member No.: 617

According to this Boeing page, they've had sixty-six consecutive successful launches, so it can't be anything too serious.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 28 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #156

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I was at the NASA Lunar Science Conference at Ames Research Center in sunny Mountain View last month, and got an update on LCROSS. The LRO-LCROSS launch is postponed, as already noted, but the implication for LCROSS is that the earliest possible impact date is now in mid-May. Because of the viewing and illumination conditions at that time, the north pole is favored for the impact. The attached image shows five candidate sites, labelled A to E.

The background image is a radar map showing predicted volatile concentrations (based on illumination analysis of topography) as white spots. Earth is at the top, and sites B, C and E surround the old wreck of a crater, Peary.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Aug 29 2008, 04:30 AM
Post #157

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 15 2008, 06:14 AM) *
Just to make things more interesting for overall launch scheduling/coordination (like they need to be made more so rolleyes.gif ), I've been hearing vague things about some sort of newly-discovered problem with Deltas that might have a ripple effect on everybody. Anybody more in the know have any info?

LRO will be launched on an Atlas 5...which is built by Lockheed Martin.

Unless by everybody you mean United Launch Alliance itself, in general.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Nov 23 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #158

Guests

http://lunar.gsfc.nasa.gov/hardware/20081030.html

Vacuum testing...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 23 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #159

Guests

Next NASA Moon Mission Completes Major Milestone
NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, has successfully completed thermal vacuum testing, which simulates the extreme hot, cold and airless conditions of space LRO will experience after launch. This milestone concludes the orbiter's environmental test program at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.
LRO will be shipped to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida in early 2009 to be prepared for its April 24 launch aboard an Atlas V rocket. Accompanying the spacecraft will be the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, a mission that will impact the moon's surface in its search for water ice.

+Quote Post
Cugel
post Feb 12 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 120

Launch NET 7 May according to NASAWATCH.COM

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 12 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #161

Administrator

Member No.: 454

LRO has shipped and NASA hasn't posted many images, only a video. I'm still kind of ignorant about handling video on the Web -- anybody know how to embed this video, or if it's possible to do? I hate linking to videos, I'd rather have the embedded player.

Here's the link.
--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Feb 16 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 4177

It arrived at Astrotech on Friday:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 16 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #163

Administrator

Thanks for the tip. Where'd the photo come from? I didn't find it on either of the LRO websites or the Kennedy media archive.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Feb 17 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 4177

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm

Then I just typed "lunar reconnaissance orbiter" in the search field and found six nice pics of the arrival, to my surprise. KSC media usually does a nice job of sorting the mission stuff with a separate highlight field, but I think it's a bit early yet...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 17 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #165

Administrator

Guess I just didn't work hard enough! Thanks. There are now 15 images up, including several showing the spacecraft more unwrapped with various technical doohickeys attached. Here's a labeled CAD drawing identifying instruments from the LRO website.

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.