TEGA (Thermal Evolved Gas Analyzer), an apparent problem
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post May 31 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hello,

According to the publication here:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/08053...ion-update.html

The glitch seems to be a short circuit in a filament in a part of the instrument that ionizes the vapors before they are sent to the detector...

Does that mean that it's directly related to the DSC oven?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jun 1 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ May 31 2008, 02:48 PM) *
Hello,

According to the publication here:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/08053...ion-update.html

The glitch seems to be a short circuit in a filament in a part of the instrument that ionizes the vapors before they are sent to the detector...

Does that mean that it's directly related to the DSC oven?

Doesnt sound like it. Remember each oven has its own heater and sense windings. This sounds like the filiament
to generate electrons to ionise the evolved gases before they pass into the quadrupole (i.e. part of the mass
spectrometer - the EGA part of TEGA)

Hopefully as the release says, they can get it up and running nonetheless. But even if the mass spec croaks
altogether there is a good chance of detecting water ice in the TA (thermal analyser, aka DSC - actually there
is a whole literature on how to run these things, whether it is a Differential Thermal Analyzer or a Differential
Scanning Calorimeter is largely an issue of software). Either way, you can detect the latent heat of melting
and evaporation.

+Quote Post
Skyrunner
post Jun 2 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3683

As I understand it the part that has shorted out is one of the two carrier gas ionizers.

The ovens vaporize the soil samples; these vapors are carried by a neutral carrier gas to the mass spectrometer. But before the carrier gas is fed over the sample it is charged then accelerated. The ionizer is needed to charge the gas so it can be be accelerated (like in an ion engine). Luckily there are two coils so when one is malfunctioning the other may be used instead. It seems to me that the team has some confidence that this is the case and full functionality can be restored.

--------------------
Error: Life.sys corrupted
( R )eflect, ( R )epend, or ( R )eboot?

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jun 2 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Skyrunner @ Jun 2 2008, 09:03 AM) *
As I understand it the part that has shorted out is one of the two carrier gas ionizers.

The ovens vaporize the soil samples; these vapors are carried by a neutral carrier gas to the mass spectrometer. But before the carrier gas is fed over the sample it is charged then accelerated.

No. ionization occurs in the mass spec. The carrier gas is neutral - remember the baking in the
ovens must be done under 'pressure'.

+Quote Post
Skyrunner
post Jun 3 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3683

Yeah, I should have known that. Next time I work with the gas chromatograph mass spectrometer we have at the faculty I shall pay more attention to the explanations of the lab technician. huh.gif

As hoped it is working with the backup ionizing filament now.

--------------------
Error: Life.sys corrupted
( R )eflect, ( R )epend, or ( R )eboot?

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 3 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 682

One TEGA image on sol 9 : http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?...2662&cID=40
Looks like "something" is open now

Edit : labbeled Sol 9 but from sol 8

--------------------

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jun 3 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (climber @ Jun 3 2008, 10:19 PM) *
One TEGA image on sol 9 : http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?...2662&cID=40
Looks like "something" is open now

At todays (June 3) telecon, Peter discussed this. One door is fully open. The other is visibly and "unexpectedly" not fully open. they are working on it.

ken

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Jun 3 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 721

Are they planning to test all the doors to see if any more might have issues?

Brian

+Quote Post
bgarlick
post Jun 4 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1227

Do the doors need to also be able to close for proper TEGA functioning?
If not, I imagine the doors could be forced fully open by using a corner of the scoop if need be...

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jun 4 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 453

QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 3 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Are they planning to test all the doors to see if any more might have issues?

I can't imagine so as then they would lose the ability to control what sample goes in what container - assuming the doors can not be closed again, or at least risking a door not being closed again.

Which brings up a point - can the TEGA doors also be closed again? The TEGA documentation I have read only mentions that the doors are solenoid operated, but does not say they are/can be closed prior to TEGA thermal analysis (which is not necessary since each oven seals itself).

Let's say the doors can close - but would the dirt that was not filtered through and vibrated off the screen not prevent them from doing so anyway?

But say they can not close - then could a misplaced clump of dirt not prevent the neighboring door from opening, if said clump of Mars' finest dirt was deposited along the hinges of two adjoining doors, especially if one of those doors was at a convenient angle for the dirt to slide down towards the hinge...?

Well, we'll see soon enough!

Airbag

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jun 4 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Airbag @ Jun 3 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Which brings up a point - can the TEGA doors also be closed again? The TEGA documentation I have read only mentions that the doors are solenoid operated, but does not say they are/can be closed prior to TEGA thermal analysis (which is not necessary since each oven seals itself).
But say they can not close - then could a misplaced clump of dirt not prevent the neighboring door from opening, if said clump of Mars' finest dirt was deposited along the hinges of two adjoining doors, especially if one of those doors was at a convenient angle for the dirt to slide down towards the hinge...?

IIRC the doors are spring-loaded, and *released* by solenoid. No closure possible. (Opening is inhibited
by a memory-metal clutch thingy to prevent launch vibration popping it open)

Obviously, as you say, door closure is not needed for the analysis, as the oven seal takes care of isolating
the sample from the atmosphere.

As for dirt - it would need an awful lot of dirt to jam up an adjacent door. Getting enough sample is
considered more of a concern than getting too much.

+Quote Post
Sandro
post Jun 4 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4180

Hi together

I just had an short idea on a possible fix for the not fully open door. Although they can operate with the door not fully open (as far as I understood) I think it could be possible to open the door with help of the robot arm.

The doors are spring loaded and if they would move the arm slightly from left to the right (on this picture http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?...2662&cID=40 ) over the not fully open door, we could press the door again down and hope that after the pass of the arm the springs will push the door fully open.

What are your thoughts about that option?

Regards,
Sandro

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jun 4 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #13

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I think the safest thing to do is just use the oven as it is, as they say the door is open enough.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 4 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #14

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

A thermal day-night cycle may well help it deploy further as well. But active intervention would be un-necessary

Doug

+Quote Post
bgarlick
post Jun 4 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1227

The screen behind the TEGA doors looks very fine meshed and the soil looks very clumpy. I would not be surprised if they have a real hard
time getting any material through that screen. Is there a way for them to tell how much material is in the oven before closing the oven and starting the baking?

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.