IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Members' observations, Things we see through our humble 'scopes...
Stu
post Sep 16 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #46

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Ok, so they're not as detailed or as colourful as SDO's Sun portraits, but I thought thsee weren't bad for a budget digital camera held up to the eyepiece of a borrowed Coronado PST...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Taken today, approx 15.00 BST

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 16 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #47

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun,
but mama, that's where the fun is ..."

Blinded by the Light, Manfred Mann

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 16 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #48

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

But seriously Stu, those are awesome.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 16 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #49

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

Interesting! Are the features we see around the sun real? Or an atrifact of the camera/telescope?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 17 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #50

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Sep 17 2010, 12:40 AM) *
Interesting! Are the features we see around the sun real? Or an atrifact of the camera/telescope?

Oh, they're real, that's why I took the photos. I was amazed they showed up so clearly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 17 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 4270

I am inspired ohmy.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Sep 19 2010, 02:40 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 4103

A photo of Jupiter and Uranus. Hand-held Canon Rebel XS 2 seconds with ISO 800 F5.6 through an 8-inch dobsonian with a 50mm OPT wide view eyepiece. Gives an approximation of what people can see through a telescope.
Jupiter and Uranus are less than a degree apart now, so they can fit together in a wide-field eyepiece.

The enclosed photo is cropped from the larger photo at my Heads UP! blog at bkellysky.wordpress.com, which has a bit more commentary.
bob

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 19 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 523

Neat. You can really see Uranus's blue-green color is contrasted to the yellowish Galileans, while all are similarly bright.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bkellysky
post Sep 19 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 4103

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 19 2010, 06:07 AM) *
Neat. You can really see Uranus's blue-green color is contrasted to the yellowish Galileans, while all are similarly bright.

Yes, I was surprised how blue Uranus looked in the photo when I moved it to my computer. The color was not obvious to me when looking through the scope, even at high power. Although, Uranus did look different - more substantial - than the stars in the same area.

PS> Love those solar photos, Stu. There are so many different kinds of solar scopes, and they are pricey, but the views are amazing. I'd like to figure out which is the most versatile of them as a future birthday present!

bob

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 19 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #55

The Poet Dude

I'm facing SUCH a dilemma re this solar scope.. I can see now why people get addicted to solar observing - there's literally something new to see EVERY time you look at the Sun, some new prominence, or detail on the surface, and that thrill of looking at our own friendly neighbourhood star and seeing it in all its fiery glory and beauty is just incredible... but yep, they are pricey, and with the current economic climate here in the UK (chilly with 1000% chance of frostbite next month) I can't really justify going out and buying one. But I want one soooooooo bad!! laugh.gif

Re Uranus - I spotted it myself the other night, with my trusty 4.5" Tasco, and I was quite taken back by how beautiful its subtle green-blue colour was as I looked at it, so very different to the stars beyond it. It looked, literally, other-worldly. Very impressed, and even a little moved, I have to be honest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 19 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 103

Uranus is quite easily seen to be something other than a star even in 20x80 binoculars. I had the Galilean satellites in nice crisp focus, but that pesky bluish star north of Jupiter just wouldn't come into as sharp a point. (Funny, you don't look bluish!)

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Sep 25 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #57

Guests

Has anyone else been observing Jupiter? Had a look last night through my 4.5" reflector, not great seeing and had to observe over the roof of the house, but the red spot was quite obvious, more so than other times due to disappearance of the south equatorial belt, the colours are VERY subtle though - also the shadow of Io clearly visible.

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Sep 25 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #58

Guests

Indeed, the giant planet Jupiter is at opposition and is closest to Earth since 1963 ( next closest opposition will be 2022 ).
We observe the disc at 50 arcseconds apparent diameter with magnitude -2.9 ( very bright indeed ).
A 15 cm refractor clearly shows the North & South Equatorial Belts: http://www.mvas-ny.org/HowObsPlanets.htm#Jupiter
Moreover our favorite gas giant is in conjunction with the planet Uranus ( 5 times further away at magnitude +5.7 )

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Oct 9 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #59

Guests

Check for shadow & transit of Jupiter's moons in this weekend: . O ...
http://www.jgiesen.de/JovianMoons/index.htm
http://sky.maplevalleywa.com/jupiter.html

Also visible = comet Hartley 2 near double cluster NGC 869 & NGC 884 in constellation Perseus

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 9 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #60

The Poet Dude

The comet is leaving the "Double Cluster" behind now...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.