Dust Storm Season
jamescanvin
post Jun 15 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Given Steve Squyres consern for the upcoming dust storm season:

QUOTE (Steve Squyres)
And in the "it's always something" department... we are now facing a new threat to both vehicles. It is dust storm season on Mars. Dust storm season happens once per martian year, during the southern summer when the input of solar energy into the martian atmosphere is highest. And southern summer is now upon us. The atmospheric dust levels at both of our landing sites are high and climbing, and in fact the dust level at the Opportunity site is the highest we've ever encountered. It's not a serious threat yet, but it's a worry, and we're watching the dust levels in the atmosphere very closely.

The thing to realize about dust storms is that the threat is not high winds, nor is the primary threat dust buildup on the solar arrays. Instead, the primary threat is simply the attenuation of sunlight by dust that is suspended very high in the atmosphere, and the resultant loss of power from our solar arrays. RIght now we've got power to spare on both vehicles, and there is no imminent danger. But martian dust storms are notoriously hard to predict. In some years things are pretty quiet, and in other years what starts out as a small regional storm can blow up quickly into a monster that covers the whole planet, with solar attenuation that could be very bad for our vehicles. We have no way of knowing what's going to happen this year.

I think a thread about the possible effects is in order...

This page has some good info of the dust storm seasons. The peak season this year runs from July 01, 2005 (241° Ls) to August 16, 2005 (270° Ls). The good news is big bad 'global' storms are very rare so hopfully they won't be a problem anyway. (fingers crossed)

Steve mentioned that it is the loss of solar power due to the high levels of dust in the atmosphere that is the problem. I searched around for more info about how bad it could get and found this with regard to Sojourner:

a) Available panel power, any time during a clear-day (tau = 0.5) 6 hour period (20° N, untilted) exceeds ~11 W ( ~14.9 W at mid-day). This power could be attenuated by approximately a factor of two during severe dust storms (optical depth ~4, the worst that Viking experienced).

A factor of two loss of power wouldn't be good but that shouldn't be much worse than what Spriit had before her cleaning event, so should be survivable.

I think we'll have to be very unlucky to loose either rover to dust storms in the near future. I hope I'm right!

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- jamescanvin   Dust Storm Season   Jun 15 2005, 02:40 AM
- - dot.dk   Latest flight director report also has something a...   Jun 15 2005, 02:49 AM
- - Pando   I think Oppy is hovering somewhere in the low-to-m...   Jun 15 2005, 06:16 AM
|- - jamescanvin   QUOTE (Pando @ Jun 15 2005, 04:16 PM)I think ...   Jun 15 2005, 06:52 AM
- - Pando   The power levels were around 600Whr range before t...   Jun 15 2005, 07:40 AM
- - edstrick   Dust storm season can run from roughly before mid ...   Jun 15 2005, 07:59 AM
- - 4th rock from the sun   I does look as Mars is getting an atmosphere h...   Jun 15 2005, 11:55 AM
|- - Jyril   I was hoping to see a good view of the Gusev crate...   Jun 15 2005, 12:10 PM
- - RNeuhaus   I see no other no alternative to keep the power up...   Jun 15 2005, 02:47 PM
- - alan   Interesting bright streaks where Oppy's front ...   Jun 15 2005, 03:59 PM
- - dot.dk   QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jun 15 2005, 02:47 PM)I see...   Jun 15 2005, 04:37 PM
|- - RNeuhaus   QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jun 15 2005, 11:37 AM)So you ...   Jun 15 2005, 04:50 PM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jun 15 2005, 11:37 AM)So you ...   Jun 15 2005, 05:17 PM
- - Phil Stooke   It sounds crazy, but it just might work... Phil   Jun 15 2005, 05:36 PM
- - Phillip   Has anyone noticed the black circle in the sand ...   Jun 15 2005, 06:08 PM
- - dvandorn   Yes, I noticed it. I also noticed a circular feat...   Jun 15 2005, 06:17 PM
|- - Phillip   Thanks. Yes there is actually another black circu...   Jun 15 2005, 06:42 PM
- - RNeuhaus   QUOTE (Phillip @ Jun 15 2005, 01:08 PM) Has ...   Jun 15 2005, 08:12 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:35 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.