Reply to this topicStart new topic
Scratch N Sniff The 'other' Rocks Time
Burmese
post Aug 12 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 365

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...4P1131L0M1.HTML

I'm betting those dark crumbling rocks are the remnants of ejecta hurled from a crater (Victoria perhaps) made long after the lakebed dried up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Aug 12 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 385

I think so. dry.gif The outcrop stone and dark stone cannot be mixed. Let the IDD zoom on it pancam.gif in order to confirm.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Aug 12 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Guests

Im not so certain about that, Erberus do show dark patches too at the rim suggesting the dark material was there when the crater was created. And its one very old and eroded crater. So I keep an open mind about where these darker rocks/material originated.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Aug 13 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 105

There is no telling about the dark angular fragments at this point. We've been seeing them in increasing numbers the further south we drive and I think I'm starting to see larger pieces on the evaporite bedrock. We'll see what it is soon enough.

We need a marker horizon!

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 13 2005, 04:59 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 116

Finally, an MI. http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...4P2936M2M1.HTML

But it's hard to say much about it, other than it's fine grained and fractured. The ubiquitous Martian basalt?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 13 2005, 08:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15

Maybe these dark rocks are fragments of what lies beneath the evaporite layer? Erebus is the largest impact structure we've come close to, we ought to be traveling right now over the degraded remains of its ejecta blanket. The soft mostly-salt evaporite rocks that probably made up most of the ejecta blanket have weathered down to a flat plain, but if small, very shocked pieces of whatever underlied the evaporite layer were mixed in with the evaporite in the ejecta blanket, I would expect to see such chunks lying out on the ground, the softer evaporite having eroded away around it.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Aug 15 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #7

In his latest update, Steve Squyres says they have 2 principal theories - ejecta or meteors.

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Aug 16 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #8

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...D4P2957M2M1.JPG

I don't think the MI is going to make much out of this and the clump of rocks is likely too small to get an accurate reading on with the other instruments. Maybe they should 'stomp' on them with the rover and try to shatter some or at least scrape them off.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 09:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.