Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
NASA Dawn asteroid mission told to ‘stand down’
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 8 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #166

Guests

NASAWatch/Spaceref has an interesting new bit of news.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 8 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #167

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Mar 8 2006, 07:32 PM) *
NASAWatch/Spaceref has an interesting new bit of news.

Now that is definitely something that makes one you go "hmmmh". I was a bit unclear about the sequence of events, reported in this way it seems decidedly odd.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 8 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #168

Guests

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 8 2006, 07:41 PM) *
Now that is definitely something that makes one you go "hmmmh". I was a bit unclear about the sequence of events, reported in this way it seems decidedly odd.

As I posted over at TPS Members Forum: "This is an interesting development. Although it's not totally unprecedented, it isn't a common occurence for a NASA Administrator to overrule a programmatic decision of a NASA Associate Administrator, assuming, of course, that Griffin doesn't merely reaffirm the cancellation decision after a decent interval of 'deliberation.'"

We'll see. However, if Griffin does spare Dawn, then that is great news for them. I wonder, though, whether this new development could be bad news for the current Discovery solicitation. In other words, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 8 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #169

Guests

Emily has posted some interesting new details in her blog.

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Mar 8 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #170

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

Very interesting.

A Kepler solution, perhaps?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 14 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #171

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

From the Sky & Telescope site (emphasis added by me):

"In January, NASA officials canceled the high-energy X-ray Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuStar) Explorer mission. On March 2nd NASA's new head of science, Mary Cleave, terminated the Dawn asteroid mission. That craft had only a few months of work left to go before becoming launch ready. Cleave's announcement about Dawn came shortly after she testified to a hostile Congressional panel about the cuts.

Congressional leaders challenged both the internal and external priorities affecting the budget. The science community questioned whether large, overbudget missions should be protected at the expense of losing both the research jobs needed to analyze the data and the small missions needed to round out a healthy science program.

It's very unusual for missions to be cancelled so close to launch. The Dawn termination apparently saves only $30 million out of a $370 million project, and Dawn's cost overrun was mostly due to the impact of previous delays imposed by NASA headquarters rather than technical issues."

Okay, then. Talk about penny-wise/pound-stupid. Emily, can TPS start some action now???

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 14 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #172

Guests

Let's wait and see whether the cost overruns (which were actually closer to $60 million) really WERE the result of NASA HQ actions. In that connection, I'll have a note later on in the "Policy and Stategy" section about "Nature's" new free-access article on the effects of the Webb Telescope's gargantuan cost overruns on the rest of space astronomy -- most of which have nothing to do with any fault by NASA HQ.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 14 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #173

Guests

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 14 2006, 01:49 AM) *
Let's wait and see whether the cost overruns (which were actually closer to $60 million) really WERE the result of NASA HQ actions. In that connection, I'll have a note later on in the "Policy and Stategy" section about "Nature's" new free-access article on the effects of the Webb Telescope's gargantuan cost overruns on the rest of space astronomy -- most of which have nothing to do with any fault by NASA HQ.

So, the Reichhardt article I mentioned in the JWST thread is now freely accessible?

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 14 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #174

Guests

Well, it was 2 days ago, although I can't seem to connect to it now. However, first I downloaded a copy, which I attach.

Hmmph. That didn't work. I'll try it again down in the "Policy & Strategy" section.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 14 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #175

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 13 2006, 05:18 PM) *
"The Dawn termination apparently saves only $30 million out of a $370 million project..."

Yes, but terminating it also saves the remaining development, launch, operations, and science costs, which probably total up to at least $150M if not more.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 14 2006, 03:11 AM
Post #176

Guests

I had heard that Dawn's total estimated cost was up to $413 million -- as compared to the original cost cap of $350 million. And Sykes' complaint that a lot of this was due to NASA expanding the reserve requirements in the wake of Messenger and Deep Impact is unconvincing -- the reserves were expanded precisely because NASA, by then, had every reason to believe that those reserves would be needed in reality. (Note also that Kepler is currently up to $520 million!)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #177

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

So why has Kepler not been cancelled? A much much bigger cost overrun. It should have been cancelled before a Dawn cancellation was even considered surely?

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 14 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #178

Guests

I mentioned previously that, at the November COMPLEX meeting where Andy Dantzler first broke the news of the Dawn reappraisal, he also mentioned that phenomenal cost overrun on Kepler -- but pointed out that it now falls under the control of NASA's separate Universe Division, which has decided to retain it as a central part of the extrasolar-planet search program despite the overrun. (This might have something to do with the delays on SIM, since at least one of those two missions will be necessary to do a census of the frequency of Earthlike planets so that we can decide which of the two radically different TPF designs should be followed.) As Dantzler said in an exasperated tone, "It's no longer my responsibility."

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 14 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #179

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

So basically, your Discovery mission will get cancelled if it's over-running the budget, unless we really really like it, in which case we'll move it to another division.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 14 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #180

Guests

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 14 2006, 12:05 PM) *
I mentioned previously that, at the November COMPLEX meeting where Andy Dantzler first broke the news of the Dawn reappraisal, he also mentioned that phenomenal cost overrun on Kepler -- but pointed out that it now falls under the control of NASA's separate Universe Division, which has decided to retain it as a central part of the extrasolar-planet search program despite the overrun. (This might have something to do with the delays on SIM, since at least one of those two missions will be necessary to do a census of the frequency of Earthlike planets so that we can decide which of the two radically different TPF designs should be followed.) As Dantzler said in an exasperated tone, "It's no longer my responsibility."

I recall some grumbling among the planetary sciences community (for various reasons) when NASA opened the Discovery Program to missions like Genesis and Kepler. The most common complaint was that Genesis belonged in NASA's Living With A Star Program and Kepler in NASA's Origins Program.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 01:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.