6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How Did You Find Us?
jamescanvin
post Nov 16 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

After some recent posts in another thread about not advertising this place too much for fear of loons, I wondered just how people had come across this place.

I joined up on the very first day after AlexBlackwell posted an advert in one of the premier kook hangouts: sci.space.history. Luckly it must have pretty much slipped under the radar being new and all, I wouldn't recomend doing that again!

Just curious...

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 16 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I found it through the list of links on volcanopele's now-defunct Titan Today blog. --Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Nov 16 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

I originally found this site by googling "iapetus, equatorial, ridge, cassini" or some variation on that, last January.

I have lurked here very sporadically, and have lost track of this site repeatedly due to some computer problems at my end. I have posted quite a bit else where, under a different handle. In the unlikely event anyone cares, it would not be hard to figure out my interests, outer solar system objects and their histories, and space probes.

Have felt constrained at other sites (S/N thing) so am checking in here more often.

Impressive site. Hopefully I wont drive you all crazy.

blink.gif

Better animatroids here, too.

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Nov 16 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 112

Someone put a link to the mer.rlproject.com down at space.com, a long time ago smile.gif

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 16 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 150

I was looking for Huygens images better than just released official ones... starting from a italian astronomy forum and going through an amateur/forum-member site (I do not rimember who sad.gif ).
I'm worried too for a trolls invasion (the mentioned forum now has this problem) but on the other hand we are probably missing important contribute from many people who do not knows this place!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
odave
post Nov 16 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 209

I was langushing in the Usenet desert, gulping down the few drops of real info that occasionally dripped into alt.sci.planetary, when dvandorn posted a message about Spirit imaging a dust devil back in March. He was very careful not to mention the rlproject URL, as to avoid a flood of Usenet crazies, but someone else posted it anyway. This place was exactly what I was looking for - thanks for the rescue smile.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 16 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15

If I recall properly, I got an e-mail from Alex Blackwell, letting me know there was a new forum that could be an alternative for those of us who were tired of the signal-to-noise ratio out on Usenet.

I think I joined in the first few days the forum was in existence. I made a few posts, then got distracted... and ran across the bookmark again some months later. I've been pretty steadily active ever since.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Nov 16 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 190

one word: Slashdot. smile.gif

+Quote Post
alan
post Nov 16 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 110

I heard about it over at Mark Carey's forum. People would mention it 'the other mars forum' without giving the url. It took some googling to find it.

+Quote Post
Redstone
post Nov 16 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (TheChemist @ Nov 16 2005, 01:13 AM)
Someone put a link to the mer.rlproject.com down at space.com, a long time ago

Funny, I just did a search for "rlproject" on space.com and the oldest post to mentioning the site there was one of yours. Hmmm... wink.gif

(Actually, the MER forum was probably first mentioned there in the lost days before the Great Space.com Database Disaster of July 2004.)

I migrated here from space.com as well. The outstanding image analysis, high level of knowledge and most of all, friendly atmosphere, have kept me coming back. smile.gif

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Nov 16 2005, 04:42 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 116

I first learned of this foum on the #space channel on IRC. Actually, I think it was on one of its precursor channels, probably #maestro, which is now defunct. Links to the forum were/are sometimes posted there, since some similar topics are discussed.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
David
post Nov 16 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 56

I was looking for information about the MERs, more than I could get from the news, and with more commentary and interpretation than I could get from the JPL website. I saw a notice about what was then mer.rlproject.com posted in one of the sci.space groups on Usenet; when I checked it out, I was immediately hooked. I think I have checked for the latest news from Mars, and later from Saturn, almost every day since some time in February 2004. My Life On Mars. smile.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Harder
post Nov 16 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 434

Via Mark Carey. When I noted that Bruce Moomaw was actively participating here I stopped looking any further.

Peter

+Quote Post
MichaelT
post Nov 16 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 211

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 16 2005, 01:03 AM)
I found it through the list of links on volcanopele's now-defunct Titan Today blog.  --Emily

That's how I found it, too. Since that day in March 2005 I had a look almost daily and wouldn't want to miss it smile.gif

Michael

+Quote Post
lyford
post Nov 16 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 124

I stumbled upon mer.rplproject ways back when.... I think it had something to do with Bad Astronomy's bulletin board (r.i.p.), though my memories are overshadowed by the wealth of imagery this forum has yielded.....

I now visit here daily... it's got the prime real estate position on my Safari Bookmarks Bar... right next to APOD. smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.