IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Brightness of Sun at Pluto and Sedna when they are at (aphelion)
Rem31
post May 3 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 720

What kind of experience will it be when you are on Pluto and on Sedna and they are at their farthest point from the Sun (aphelion) Pluto about 90 AU then and Sedna an unimaginable 900 AU. How bright will the Sun shine at Plutos farthest distance to the Sun at 90 AU ,and what about its brightness when you are on Sedna at its aphelion at 900! AU? When we send landers to Pluto and Sedna in the future ,do they need (extra) lights because of the dimness of the Sun? Can somebody explain these things?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tasp
post May 3 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 162

Pluto:

Not too hard to bump up the aperture of the optics on the imaging system. Could also increase exposure time, don't think the Plutonians are going to move around enough to blur the picture.

Sedna:

Might need some image intensifier technology (like the starlight scopes the army has) but I suspect that they are not very accurate photometrically. Maybe they could be improved enough. Long exposures probably not a problem here, either.

Radar and deep infrared will still work.

If Sedna has an atmosphere, maybe a highly focused sonic range finder could build up images.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 4 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #3

Guests

Don't panic. Remember that the emitted brightness of the full Moon is only 1/500,000 that of the Sun -- less than twice as bright as the Sun at Sedna's aphelion! Our retinal rods adapt to that quite well, and light-sensitive cameras will do even better.

+Quote Post
David
post May 4 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Rem31 @ May 3 2006, 09:58 PM) *
When we send landers to Pluto and Sedna in the future ,do they need (extra) lights because of the dimness of the Sun? Can somebody explain these things?

How many years is it likely to be before a human nation sends landers to Pluto? 200 maybe?

And by then it probably won't be the USA or Russia or China doing the launching -- maybe Sri Lanka or Honduras...

+Quote Post
Rem31
post May 4 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #5

It will be a bit dark at noon at Sedna when it is at aphelion ,am i right? And what is the magnitude of a full moon in a clear night sky? And what is the magnitude of the Sun as seen from Sedna at aphelion and at Pluto?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 4 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #6

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Rem31 @ May 4 2006, 12:10 PM) *
And what is the magnitude of a full moon in a clear night sky?

-12.7 (from google)

And what is the magnitude of the Sun as seen from Sedna at aphelion

~ -11.8 According to Celestia

and at Pluto?

~ -18.3 Celestia again.

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post May 4 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 105

A bit of trivia stuck in my head: the magnitude of the Sun at Earth's orbit is -27; the magnitude difference of 9 (27 minus 18) between Earth's and Pluto's Sun is a brightness factor of about 4000.

FWIW...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rem31
post May 4 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 4 2006, 02:54 AM) *
-12.7 (from google)
~ -11.8 According to Celestia
~ -18.3 Celestia again.

James

How does Celestia know the magnitude at a specified distance of a planet,Kbo object and of many stars?

Will it look like a (bit) darkness when you are walking on Sedna at 900 AU distance? A lander needs lights to look around on Sedna then i think. Is that true?

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 4 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #9

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

There's an equation to calculate the aparant magnitude ( i.e. those values ) from the absolute magnitude ( the mag of an object at a standard distance ) which we know for the sun.

Doug

+Quote Post
AndyG
post May 4 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (djellison @ May 4 2006, 01:32 PM) *
There's an equation to calculate the aparant magnitude ( i.e. those values ) from the absolute magnitude ( the mag of an object at a standard distance ) which we know for the sun.

Time for a shameless plug for my brightness calculator again: setting albedo, diameter and distances (star to X, viewer from X) will give you, Rem31, a good estimate to the brightness of bodies that are fully lit by the Sun.

To calculate the Sun's brightness at different ranges, Doug's right:

Apparent Magnitude = 2.5*log10(dist^2) - 26.73

dist is in AU. The figure -26.73 is the Sun's Absolute Magnitude.

Andy (edited the link)

+Quote Post
Rem31
post May 4 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (AndyG @ May 4 2006, 03:21 PM) *
Time for a shameless plug for my brightness calculator again: setting albedo, diameter and distances (star to X, viewer from X) will give you, Rem31, a good estimate to the brightness of bodies that are fully lit by the Sun.

To calculate the Sun's brightness at different ranges, Doug's right:

Apparent Magnitude = 2.5*log10(dist^2) - 26.73

dist is in AU. The figure -26.73 is the Sun's Absolute Magnitude.

Andy

Sorry but the link does not work. Can you help me to get the link succesfully? Thanks.

+Quote Post
Rem31
post May 4 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #12

Celestia is a good alternative for calculating magnitudes at a specified distance. But can you help me with your link ? It doesnt work.

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post May 4 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 544

QUOTE (Rem31 @ May 4 2006, 04:25 PM) *
Sorry but the link does not work. Can you help me to get the link succesfully? Thanks.

Try Brightness Calculator. A very valuable resource!

Michaelc

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:17 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.