IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Triana, a.k.a. Goresat
ljk4-1
post Jan 6 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

ADMIN NOTE: Please note that this topic was unavoidably poltical before the 'No Politics' rule. Please restrict future comments to the mission/spacecraft/news updates etc.

WHAT'S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 6 Jan 06 Washington, DC
DEEP SPACE CLIMATE OBSERVATORY KILLED.
http://bobpark.physics.umd.edu/index.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 7 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #2

Guests

Actually, as I recall, Gore's original plan was simply to "inspire schoolchildren" with continuous video views of Earth -- the climate instruments were added at the insistence of NASA's science advisors and the National Academy of Sciences (which did an official appraisal of Triana's sciencce value in its revised form). While Gore's original idea strikes me as moronic, those other experiments ARE important, and I hope they're added as piggybacks to the other solar astronomy satellites scheduled to be hung soon at the L-1 Sun-Earth point. In fact, I think it's time for us to start raising hell on the subject, since otherwise this is unlikely to be done under this stinkbomb of an administration.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- ljk4-1   Triana   Jan 6 2006, 08:55 PM
- - BruceMoomaw   Actually, as I recall, Gore's original plan wa...   Jan 7 2006, 12:15 AM
- - gpurcell   Repeat After Me: TRIANA MUST FLY ON SHUTTLE ...   Jan 7 2006, 12:26 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   It seems a bit, well, daft, to have a 100% built s...   Jan 7 2006, 12:37 AM
|- - ljk4-1   QUOTE (gpurcell @ Jan 6 2006, 07:26 PM)Repeat...   Jan 7 2006, 02:53 AM
|- - gpurcell   You misunderstand that document. That is the OIG ...   Jan 7 2006, 03:25 AM
- - Richard Trigaux   There are two distinct issues about this satellite...   Jan 7 2006, 09:07 AM
- - djellison   A short study should be made to see if it can be l...   Jan 7 2006, 11:07 AM
|- - ljk4-1   An interesting bit of trivia I just learned from t...   Feb 1 2006, 08:32 PM
|- - Richard Trigaux   What I think is that, even before sad or stupid po...   Feb 2 2006, 09:44 AM
- - djellison   But - if you have the promise that a mission will ...   Feb 2 2006, 09:53 AM
|- - dtolman   This project might have a future after all. Nasawa...   Jul 24 2009, 07:44 PM
|- - tedstryk   That would be great! As an image junkie, I wa...   Jul 24 2009, 08:13 PM
|- - ugordan   Well, there's always this in the meantime.   Jul 24 2009, 09:31 PM
- - Paolo   I apologize for resurrecting this topic: Triana Sa...   May 6 2011, 07:22 PM
|- - Explorer1   Just found this while looking for spacecraft alrea...   Jan 3 2013, 02:53 AM
- - Eyesonmars   It is not clear if a real time full color feed of ...   Jan 4 2013, 01:01 AM
|- - Explorer1   Yes, the technology has gotten a lot smaller and m...   Jan 4 2013, 03:51 AM
- - scalbers   Here's an update from late last year at the li...   Apr 18 2014, 06:20 PM
- - Explorer1   Early 2015 launch (finally): http://spaceref.com/...   Oct 1 2014, 04:42 PM
- - djellison   Whole spacecraft? No. But some of the RapidScat h...   Oct 1 2014, 06:49 PM
- - katodomo   QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Oct 1 2014, 06:42 PM) ...   Oct 1 2014, 10:19 PM
- - djellison   Currently scheduled for Jan 19th. http://spacefli...   Oct 2 2014, 01:45 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 03:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.