Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Festoon Objective
Shaka
post Feb 1 2006, 07:34 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 618

QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 31 2006, 08:19 PM)
Nice MI sequence on Sol719, showing the increasing shadow cast from festoons...
(in this movie, I slowed the final part)

He He! Dilo, you're the Walt Disney of Mars. I jumped back thinking Rockbiter was about to swallow me! tongue.gif
wheel.gif Ah me...bedtime...Buona notte!

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 1 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 105

I was trying to follow Doug's suggestion that we use images hosted elsewhere when possible.

I think what Doug suggested was to link to an image if it is posted online somewhere else (like at Exploratorium) but it is OK to post modified or "personalized" images here.

---Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 1 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #63

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Feb 1 2006, 10:09 AM)
I think what Doug suggested was to link to an image if it is posted online somewhere else (like at Exploratorium) but it is OK to post modified or "personalized" images here.

---Bill

Spot on.

Doug

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 4 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #64

New MI's from Middle Over Overgaard. Doesn't anybody want to stitch them together?
(I would, but I don't know how sad.gif ) I want to see some genyoowine Festoons!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 4 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #65

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 4 2006, 09:39 PM)
(I would, but I don't know how sad.gif ) ...

Google autostitch, Shaka.
It's absolutely easy to use and the results are great.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Feb 4 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 99

QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 4 2006, 08:39 PM)
New MI's from Middle Over Overgaard.  Doesn't anybody want to stitch them together?
(I would, but I don't know how sad.gif ) I want to see some genyoowine Festoons!

Plenty MI mosaics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortonheardawho/

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 4 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 4 2006, 10:55 AM)
Google autostitch, Shaka.
It's absolutely easy to use and the results are great.

huh.gif Really? Easy for a biologist who can't even fix his own car?
wow...er...Where do you buy it?
Thanx, Tesch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 4 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #68

QUOTE (OWW @ Feb 4 2006, 11:05 AM)

Gee, that's groovy - a shortcut to Horton's stuff without going through that ...er...other forum. (There are some very strange people over there...)
Thanx, O (d'you mind if I call you O? or do you prefer W?) I've bookmarked that page. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Feb 6 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 180

Possibly interesting sidenote concerning layered rock. Not sure if this would even be relevant, as I'm no geologist. Anyway:
It snowed pretty heavy yesterday and through the night, accompanied by strong wind. I'm noticing outside now that the wind blowing on the varying densities of snowfall has created some horizontal layers, much like you'd expect from a rock eroded by wind. This was created without the benefit of liquid water - just simple particle deposition over time. Is something similar at work on Mars' rocks? Just eons of accumulation of small particles?

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 6 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Feb 6 2006, 01:15 PM)
Possibly interesting sidenote concerning layered rock. Not sure if this would even be relevant, as I'm no geologist. Anyway:
It snowed pretty heavy yesterday and through the night, accompanied by strong wind. I'm noticing outside now that the wind blowing on the varying densities of snowfall has created some horizontal layers, much like you'd expect from a rock eroded by wind. This was created without the benefit of liquid water - just simple particle deposition over time. Is something similar at work on Mars' rocks? Just eons of accumulation of small particles?

The very fine particles of Martian regolith do act together like a liquid, for what that is worth.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 6 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 4 2006, 10:21 PM)
huh.gif Really? Easy for a biologist who can't even fix his own car?
wow...er...Where do you buy it?
Thanx, Tesch!

Have a look to the homepage: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 6 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #72

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 6 2006, 11:45 AM)

Oh, for joy! It's even free , hee hee!
I've already downloaded it. Now if I can just tear myself away from Home Plate long enough to install it and read the read.me,...maybe someday... I'll be able to work the magic like you guys do!
Meanwhile, good old reliable hortonheardawho (we really need to recruit this guy to this forum. Though I suppose the other one would wither away if he left.) has put together the MI pan of Upper Overgaard.
This is the direct link:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=96395486&size=l
I hope I haven't violated any code in putting it here. Doug?
I have to say, if there aren't "smiles" and "eyes" and "T"s here, then I will never be able to recognise them. I invite instruction by any skeptics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 7 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 116

Ahh, that's pretty, and he was even kind enough to rotate it 180 degrees so it would match the view in the other cameras. Now I have to do one for myself to see it in all it's "Imax" splendor. I would have done one by now, but my Autostitch demo expired and my firewall decided to start blocking zip downloads. (I had to take it aside and slap it a few times.) mad.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 7 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Feb 7 2006, 04:11 AM)
Ahh, that's pretty, and he was even kind enough to rotate it 180 degrees so it would match the view in the other cameras.  Now I have to do one for myself to see it in all it's "Imax" splendor.  I would have done one by now, but my Autostitch demo expired and my firewall decided to start blocking zip downloads.  (I had to take it aside and slap it a few times.)  mad.gif

CR,

If you're talking about the image on Flickr, you can click "Original" size to see it in it's full IMAX-esque glory.

Mike

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 7 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Feb 6 2006, 10:15 AM)

Temperature and humidity are other possible variables involved with the snow layering. The wetter the flakes, the stronger the minilayer should be when the wetness freezes and cements the flakes together.

Mars's rocks come in many varieties with many origins. Snow would be an analogue for rocks built up by deposition of ash or dust. I think it's likely that salty dew has frozen dust together, in various times and places, allowing, for example, craters to become completely filled. That said, if the bedrock at Meridiani consolidated in acidic water, then that would not fit the analogue very well. Gusev on the other hand, might.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 02:44 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.