IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Home Plate Speculations, Get it in now, before we know the truth!
CosmicRocker
post Feb 11 2006, 03:39 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Although we know little about the lower unit of alternating harder and softer layers, we know the the upper section is a cross-laminated sediment. It seems difficult to think of HP as an "exhumed crater floor filled with typical Columbia Hills layered deposits, a tuff cone or maar, (or) a hydrothermal vent area," unless you want to imagine it as one of those things with sediments on top of it. It seems simpler to consider it a remnant of a once more continuous sedimentary section. The other, more exotic things seem to be unneccesary complications.

I can't rule out the possibility that these sediments originated as a crater fill, but I think we need to see other sides of HP, as well as the top, to learn more about that possibility. It sounds to me as if those interviewed for that article knew more than they were willing to admit at the time.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alan
post Feb 11 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 110

Are those deposits along a fracture in this image?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/pa...55P2271R1M1.JPG

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 11 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 105

I noticed that fracture fill this morning. It looks quite pronounced when viewed with the corresponding L7 as a stereo pair.

Also, notice the rounded pebbles at the top of the slope that do not look ventifact-like.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 12 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #124

Guests

Hmmm... what happened to todays pictures? According to the tracking site some of them are on the ground??

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Feb 12 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Feb 10 2006, 10:39 PM)
Although we know little about the lower unit of alternating harder and softer layers, we know the the upper section is a cross-laminated sediment.  It seems difficult to think of HP as an "exhumed crater floor filled with typical Columbia Hills layered deposits, a tuff cone or maar, (or) a hydrothermal vent area," unless you want to imagine it as one of those things with sediments on top of it.  It seems simpler to consider it a remnant of a once more continuous sedimentary section.  The other, more exotic things seem to be unneccesary complications.

I can't rule out the possibility that these sediments originated as a crater fill, but I think we need to see other sides of HP, as well as the top, to learn more about that possibility.  It sounds to me as if those interviewed for that article knew more than they were willing to admit at the time.

Tom:

Have you ever take into the account the influence of nerby volcano: Apollinarium Patera at about 100-150 km nortwestern from Columbia and Husband Hills. Around the volcan, usually has subsurface water which might be steaming out. The highest activity of volcano has ocurred during the Amazonia epochs, such as the Olympus has erupted since 200 millions years ago.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 12 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 116

Rodolfo: I suppose that volcano could have generated steam in the past which might have travelled some distance from the volcano. All I was suggesting above was that there seems to be no need to hypothesize such a thing for Home Plate, since we now see Home Plate closely and it seems to be largely, if not completely composed of sediments.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post Feb 13 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #127

Guests

Smiles?

In the lower left corner of this image, I see what looks like the type of crossbedding that was so exciting in eagle crater.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 07:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.