Astro0
post Feb 24 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

QUOTE (SigurRosFan @ Feb 24 2006, 08:36 AM) *
Photoshop? Which version?

Photoshop versions from LE to CS2.
Look under 'Window/Layers' in the menubar.

Also...
I agree with Bill Harris about 2D vs 3D, that why I'm going to work on taking a digital 3D MER model and integrating that into some of my future SFX images.
Very much looking forward to seeing your 1/4 scale model. I hope that your going to then put out detailed construction plans so we can all make one. wink.gif

Astro0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 24 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

I'm keeping notes of the Rover project, but they'll be a bear to pull together into coherent plans. I'm planning plans some day. The most challenging aspect is doing the detailing: there are a gazillion wires, connectors and do-dads on this vehicle. It's not impossible, one just needs to work in layers, from the inside out.

The thread, 1/4 Scale Rover, is still in Tech, General and Imagery. I'm currently plateau'd with the basic form of the body and solar cells/panels, so not much has been reported.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Feb 24 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 471

Whoa! huh.gif Only 300 Euro for the CS2 upgrade.

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Feb 26 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #20

Nice scene ... Challenger Memorial Station, Airbag Marks, Stone Mountain and beyond Eagle: Endurance, Heat Shield and Bounce Rock.

And no tracks ... biggrin.gif

Another Opportunity on Sol 17 (172 KB):

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 27 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #21

Inspired by bluescape's shots at the Challenger Memorial Station, here's a new SFX image from me of Opportunity leaving Eagle Crater (my first Oppy pic!)

Enjoy
Astro0
Attached Image

This is a small version, a larger version will be on my website tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Feb 27 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #22

Guests

Excellent Astr0!

Esthetically I think it would be good to have a bit more space to the right of the rover and its shadow.

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Feb 27 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #23

I would say good color. Show us more! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 27 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Oersted @ Feb 27 2006, 11:38 AM) *
Excellent Astr0! Esthetically I think it would be good to have a bit more space to the right of the rover and its shadow.

Hmm. I thought about that, but then I felt that having Oppy and its shadow just off the edge would lead your mind to think beyond the edge of the photo...hey, I think it worked. In fact, I could have just used the entire 'Lion King' panorama, but then it's just sooo nice on its own, why add anything to it!

QUOTE (SigurRosFan @ Feb 27 2006, 08:54 PM) *
I would say good color. Show us more! biggrin.gif

Thanks. I do have a few more Oppy SFX images in mind, just need to find the time between working and sleeping. Too much of one, not enough of the other! blink.gif

Astro0 cool.gif

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Feb 27 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 239

Here's a heretical thought:

How do we know Eagle Crater was an impact crater, and not another example of an Anatolia?

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #26

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Not far from perfectly circular
Rasied rim
Similar to many other round-raised-rimed-impactey-type-features.

I don't think the thought that it was anything else would have crossed peoples minds.

Doug

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Feb 27 2006, 11:54 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 27 2006, 11:45 AM) *
Not far from perfectly circular
Rasied rim
Similar to many other round-raised-rimed-impactey-type-features.

Doug

Doug:

It's a joy when you set a sand-trap and somebody rolls straight in!

OK, you're right. But tiny craters don't have raised rims in the same ways that big chaps do. And I see no particular evidence of any impactey-type-features other than the circumstantial similarity to say, the Hellas Basin.

And as for the sand-trap - well, it looks awfully like a golf course bunker, doesn't it? Round, full of sand, concave, and a raised rim...

It's said that bunkers were originally naturally occuring features on traditional Scottish 'links' golf courses - features caused by wind erosion, with a weakness in the grassy covering over coastal dunes growing into a pit.

So, once more: how do we know Eagle Crater is an impact feature, and not something else?

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #28

Founder

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Feb 27 2006, 11:54 AM) *
So, once more: how do we know Eagle Crater is an impact feature, and not something else?

Because it looks like one. That's about it. I mean - what do you WANT it to look like to classify it as a crater?

Tiny craters do have raised rims - even Fram had one. A small rise at its rim, but it's a small crater so you'd expect that. Eagle and it's sister a few hundreds meters SW - both appeared as raised rims from a distance.

Tjere are hundreds of thousands of these things around the planet - what makes you think they're NOT craters?
Doug

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Feb 27 2006, 12:33 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 27 2006, 12:03 PM) *
Because it looks like one. That's about it. I mean - what do you WANT it to look like to classify it as a crater?

Tiny craters do have raised rims - even Fram had one. A small rise at its rim, but it's a small crater so you'd expect that. Eagle and it's sister a few hundreds meters SW - both appeared as raised rims from a distance.

Tjere are hundreds of thousands of these things around the planet - what makes you think they're NOT craters?
Doug

Doug:

It's not that I think they're *not* impact craters, just that I have an open mind about some of the features which we see!

Obviously, Mars is covered with impact craters. Big and small, no problem.

But, at Meridiani, we have seen other sorts of holes in the ground, ranging from the infamous (and dynamically somewhat improbable) mini-craters right up to Anatolia (and perhaps the Payson depression). Fram looked more like a traditional small Lunar crater, to my mind, than does Eagle.

Eagle was characterised as an impact feature *before* we saw the other holes, so the natural assumption was made that it was due to something which fell from the sky. However, there are few bits of direct evidence to support that belief, just habit: round hole = impact crater.

I'm not being contrary for the sake of it - I simply got thinking about holes in the ground, and began to ask myself whether we'd all jumped the gun.

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 27 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #30

Founder

Anatolia is very very different, a linear feature - I wouldnt put any relationship between the way in which Eagle formed and the way Anatolia formed.

When it comes to specific evidence identifying it as a crater - what evidence is there that it ISN'T a crater. There's little more to be said in arguing that it is other than "looks like one" - because that's all the evidence one could expect - there's nothing more one could really bring to the table given the MER payload.

Basically - it looks like one, and nothing suggests it isnt one, and we know Mars is covered in them, so it's fairly safe to say it IS one...isn't it?

Doug

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:54 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.