2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Animals in Space !
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 14 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Guests

Well, it's about 'manned' spaceflight wink.gif
What was the first animal to fly onboard a rocket ?
We surely know:
The US space program used monkey, as early as 1949 on modified V-2 rocket, later onboard capsules similar to the Mercury-project capsules…
The Soviets used dogs, Laïka was the first animal to orbit the Earth…
Yesterday on BBC-2 I heard that an insect ( fly ) was the first animal to fly on a V-2 rocket in 1946 ???
unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 14 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Someone's been watching QI smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
David
post May 14 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

My favorite Animals in Space have got to be the Zond 5 turtles who beat Borman, Lovell and Anders to the Moon by three months. I figure they deserve their own webcomic, at least: "Radioactive Lunar Turtle Comrades" or something like that. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 14 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ May 14 2006, 11:46 AM) *
What was the first animal to fly onboard a rocket ?

There were many mice flown aboard V2s from White Sands in the late 1940s - there are even in-flight cine films of them floating free in their container (often just a strangely shaped metal box sized to fit into the payload section wherever some free space was to be found). Few of the early mice flights saw the animals return safely to earth, and doubtless they'd have been killed at once and dissected if they did survive, so no luck Mickey! Other flights of small monkeys were attempted, and these also often ended in death for the hapless animals - sometimes simply due to suffocation. Fruit flies were also regularly flown on a whole range of rockets and balloons (mostly seeking radiation damage data). Many V2s were recovered more-or-less intact (though flattened) by the simple expedient of blowing off their nose-cones in flight, which made them tumble to the ground rather than going straight in, and biological experiments and film were regularly recovered this way - parachutes etc just didn't work very well.

The Soviets tended to use dogs on their V2-derived geophysical rocket flights, some of which appear to have survived, though there's not a lot of documentation other than those famous posed shots of the dogs and the research payload, with the happy dogs posed in their cute little rocket hatch.

Perhaps the strangest animal story relates to Columbia. Months and months after it was destroyed, a lump of debris was found. This was the still-sealed package which had contained lots of little live worms, presumably in the SpaceHab module. The worms survived the breakup of Columbia and the impact with the ground, but by the time they were discovered all the original worms had died - of old age! The thousands of remaining worms were their descendants, and were still healthy and living productive wormy lives. This may qualify as the first 'generation' spaceship!

As for the first animals launched into space... ...it has to have been flies. And not in the 1940s, but the 1930s. Peenemunde was forested, and would have been full of little flies, some of which must have found their way to the V2s (and even their predecessors!), drawn by the taste of alcohol on the breeze. I'm sure that some flies found their way into space that way, though of course it'd be difficult to prove.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 14 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #5

Guests

Colin Burgess is writing a book on " Animals in space " which will be published next year on the 50th anniversary of Laika's flight... smile.gif
Looks like it were a bunch of Fruit flies which were the first 'animals' to fly onboard a launch vehicle laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 14 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15

And while it doesn't fall into the category of "firsts," there was always the Florida mosquito that hitched a ride on the Apollo portion of ASTP...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 14 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 14 2006, 07:25 PM) *
And while it doesn't fall into the category of "firsts," there was always the Florida mosquito that hitched a ride on the Apollo portion of ASTP...

-the other Doug

oDoug:

And I'm sure there were some Peenemunde beasties too! Perhaps the ASTP bug is the first documented stowaway in space...

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 15 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 430

Here is a list of non-human astronauts and cosmonauts up to 1998:

http://planet4589.org/space/book/astronaut...ronaut/bio.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post May 16 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #9

Guests

In Roads To Space, there's a story about one of the test rockets that landed off course in Siberia, during the winter. The scientists rushed to the scene and found the dogs alive and well. But the mice were frozen stiff, "like cold pelmenis". (Russian meat dumplings).

And of course, note my icon, the ill-fated dog Laika.

[attachment=5621:attachment]

You've proably read the recent reports by a Russian scientist saying that she probably didn't live more than a few hours in space, due to overheating.

Oh, here are the Zond tortoises:

[attachment=5622:attachment]

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 16 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #10

Guests

What cute little guys! Why didn't the Soviets have sense enough to publicize them like crazy (and thereby steal a little of Borman, Lovell and Anders' limelight)?

+Quote Post
edstrick
post May 16 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 174

"...the Florida mosquito that hitched a ride on the Apollo portion of ASTP..."

Which mysteriously disappeared early in the flight.....

One thing for sure... Zero-G will never be properly colonizable before somebody invents the ZERO-G CATBOX!

+Quote Post
climber
post May 16 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 682

Perhaps the strangest animal story relates to Columbia. Months and months after it was destroyed, a lump of debris was found. This was the still-sealed package which had contained lots of little live worms, presumably in the SpaceHab module. The worms survived the breakup of Columbia and the impact with the ground, but by the time they were discovered all the original worms had died - of old age! The thousands of remaining worms were their descendants, and were still healthy and living productive wormy lives. This may qualify as the first 'generation' spaceship!

Basicaly it's what we are worying about when we send landers on other planets. Interesting.

The best story for me is about the spiders that went aboard Skylab back in 1973-74. It was a student's idea (a girl a bit older than Sofi, IIRW) that get the idea to learn how spiders build their web in zero G. I wonder if I can find a picture on the web but it worth a try. The less we can say is that spiders get VERY confused. I hope THE web will not go this way when brought to zero G rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post May 16 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 103

Here's Arabella's (Skylab) web:

and Owen Garriott with camera in front of the Web Formation Experiment:

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 16 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (ilbasso @ May 16 2006, 05:25 PM) *
Here's Arabella's (Skylab) web:
and Owen Garriott with camera in front of the Web Formation Experiment:

Now we know what happened to the fourth ASTP crewmember!

The fifth got 'im!

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 17 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #15

Guests

The spiders actually got more attention from the general public than any other aspect of the Skylab mission. It was an undeniably neat experiment, and I was surprised when -- after getting predictably mixed up during their first attempt at web-spinning -- the spiders quickly learned how to handle themselves in 0-g and began spinning neat, classic orb webs again. (It looked for a while as though one of them -- Arabella, I believe -- would survive long enough to come back with the first crew, but she died shortly before the return.)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 03:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.