Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Apr 8 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #272

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

A rough 8 frame low phase mosaic:

I was too lazy to register the rings better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 8 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #273

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ugordan @ Apr 8 2008, 10:31 AM) *
I was too lazy to register the rings better.

You're forgiven. That's gorgeous!

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 8 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #274

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Awesome as usual, Ugordan. smile.gif

Here's a simulated view from the Saturn Viewer. Lots of moons are visible here. The bright dot at upper left is Mimas; immediately below it is Prometheus (brightened, inside the F ring); Janus is the bright dot at left; below it is a triple R-B-G triple dot for Pandora; and Pandora actually shows up a second time below that, becuase of the time elapsed between the first frame (which was the upper left one) and the last frame (which was the lower left one), again as an R-B-G triple dot; and then over at the extreme right is Epimetheus. Looks like about 2 hours elapsed between the first frame and the last frame.

Attached Image

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Apr 9 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #275

Thanks. As luck would have it, CICLOPS released a color image of Saturn today from a similar vantage point. I took that image as basis for color and fixed the above mosaic, also improving ring registration a bit and removing double moons.

Here's the result:

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 9 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #276

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Both mosiacs are excellent. I will add that your old one and new one highlight an issue I often bring up, that of dynamic range. For a linear match, the new image is much better. However, the rings are easier to see in the old version, and since the human eye wouldn't have nearly as much trouble picking them up against the blackness of space as it does against the not-so-blackness of a computer monitor, nonlinear image products definitely have value.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 9 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #277

Member No.: 23

Keep in mind that there is an even cooler, 22-frame color mosaic of Saturn and the ring system coming down tomorrow.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Apr 9 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #278

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Apr 9 2008, 10:46 PM) *
Keep in mind that there is an even cooler, 22-frame color mosaic of Saturn and the ring system coming down tomorrow.

*sigh* Unlit side again... oh, how I yearn for a lit side mosaic like that. All these unlit mosaics and their huge contrast just look too gloomy and unfamiliar. What's it been - more than 2 years of basically just looking down on the rings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post May 29 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #279

Member No.: 110

chaotic beauty

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...0/N00111012.jpg

+Quote Post
David
post May 30 2008, 04:47 AM
Post #280

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (alan @ May 29 2008, 06:52 PM) *

Any idea of the scale of that image?

+Quote Post
Shaka
post May 30 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #281

Member No.: 618

...chaotic beauty...
... or, if you prefer, the 'poster child' for life itself.
cool.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 19 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #282

A bit of stormy weather again:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 26 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #283

This just in from the PDS: A huge ring-encompassing vista made up of 30 RGB narrow-angle footprints. It's View from Iapetus's big brother (ISS_049SA_SATSYSFIA001_PRIME), targeting just the rings.

Full res view is 15000 pixels wide. That's twice as wide as the largest Saturn mosaic yet released. Too bad this sequence didn't cover the whole planet. Unfortunately, my machine can't cope with this much data so I wasn't able to align filters with sub-pixel accuracy and some color fringing is present.

Here's a diagram showing locations of 6 moons visible. Enceladus, Calypso and Rhea are out of the FOV.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jun 27 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #284

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

This week's images included an interesting sequence of images showing the rings through Saturn's atmosphere. The rings appear bent due to atmospheric refraction and there is filter-dependent difference in how clearly the rings are visible through the atmosphere. Six filters were used, MT2, CB2, MT1, CB1, GRN and BL1 (plus CL1 in all cases).

This is a quick and dirty CB1-GRN-BL1 composite. These filters can be used together to produce approximately true color composites.

Attached Image

The color is highly approximate since the original JPGs had been contrast stretched and 'reverse engineering' the contrast stretch was difficult, one reason being that the images contained no areas I was completely sure should be black. To make matters worse parts of the images were overexposed, i.e. white. The lit side of the outer B ring is visible and the rings are clearly bent near Saturn's limb where haze is also visible. It would be interesting to know the altitude of some specific location in the image above for example the 1 bar level as this makes construction of 3D computer models easier and more accurate. I've been attempting to simulate these refraction effects:

Not very pretty and the color is weird but reasonably accurate from a 'geometric' point of view. However, the accuracy could be improved.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jun 28 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #285

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (paxdan @ Jul 12 2006, 05:37 AM) *
You can really see how oblate saturn is.

Apparently the extreme oblateness can even trip up the Cassini mission planners sometimes. There was this activity planned on June 8:

FP1 observation of Rhea solar eclipse. Begin observation 2008-160T03:15; entry 03:33; exit 04:46. Phase=34.0, Local time=12.0, sub S/C=(28.0, 1.0), AD=1.3 mrad. Duration 03:30. CIRS: FP1 only, 38 RTI. FP1 to RH 160T03:15 to 04:25; FP1 10 mrad about Z 04:25 to 04:30; FP1 to RH 04:30 to 05:30; FP1 10 mrad about Z 05:30 to 05:35; FP1 to RH 05:35 to 06:45 (with return to waypoint).

But then this note was added:

There is *no* solar eclipse after all; oblateness of Saturn delays start of eclipse season from that predicted from spherical planet model. Change design to obtain stares, single scans of disk.

--------------------

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 07:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.