MRO Telecommunications
nprev
post Sep 29 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #16

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 28 2006, 07:26 AM) *
You mean take TDRS and turn it interplanetary.

Doug

Yep...but as mchan pointed out, the transmitter requirements for the actual planetary mission spacecraft may be prohibitive. Still, as tehcnology evolves, this might prove feasible someday.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 29 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #17

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Why does it need to be at L1/L2? Just stick it in an orbit interior to Earth, and half the time it will be closer to the target planet than Earth. You can choose to use the local DSN for when the planet is "behind" the earth, but for the rest of the time use your inner relay to zip the data back and forth around the sun. Plus, you can put large solar panels to boost the power going either direction.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 29 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

err - very very very large solar panels. The transmitters on DSN assets are in the tens to hundreds of KW ( and the recievers cooled using LN2 in some cases I believe )

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 29 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #19

Merciless Robot

I think that advances in receiver sensitivity fueled largely by digital signal processing/processor speed progress combined with phased-array antennas might ultimately provide the ticket to make this work. For example, most newer airborne radars have amazingly low peak power outputs (one system I know of puts out much less than 50 watts--yes, watts, not Kw) and replaced an old system that blasted out more than 50Kw peak power yet had a shorter range and far inferior resolution.

If an analogous quantum improvement in complex waveform reception is ever realized, then Hendric might be right. The reason I originally went with the Earth-Sun Trojan points was to guarantee a clear LOS to any target location in the Solar System at all times, but if the effective SNR can be reduced enough than the Earth-Moon TPs would work just fine.

{EDIT} You know, after writing that I realized that developing such breakthrough improvements could be a huge selling point for this project. Isn't pioneering new technologies for transfer to the private sector one of NASA's long-time strategic objectives? Everybody loves spinoffs... tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
mchan
post Sep 29 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 476

Clarification on the Mars relay sats in L1/L2. These are the Sun-Mars L1/L2, so they are strictly for Mars-centric comm relays. The advantage is near-continuous, near-global coverage for craft on the Martian surface with 2 spacecraft. Contrast this with architectures at the other end, i.e., there have been papers on Iridium or Globalstar type constellations around Mars, though with much smaller numbers of spacecraft, e.g. 8-12 instead of 48 to 66.

The halo orbits allow spacecraft landed on Mars to point to the Mars L1 comm relay without pointing directly at the Sun.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 29 2006, 08:10 AM
Post #21

Merciless Robot

Oh, I'm sorry, mchan...did not mean to misinterpret, and the fault was mine. Still, if we could do this from the Earth-Moon TPs, it would be even better! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mchan
post Sep 29 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 476

Nothing to apologize for. I was just mentioning another comm relay concept involving spacecraft in some other Lagrange points. smile.gif

Regarding phased array antennas, I recall DSCS-3 featured them starting around early 80's. More recently, I have read that Messenger uses them. What have been their other applications in spacecraft communications?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 29 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #23

Merciless Robot

Hmm. Frankly, I don't know...my main electronics experience base is airborne non-RF stuff like INS and instrumentation (G&C systems). I wonder what the commercial comsats are using, esp. high-rate data providers like DirecTV?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 11:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.